What is the dirty secret of Furniture stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got two options, one store says they can give me a better price, but I have to pay for delivery, they said they can give better price because delivery charge is not factored into the price. I pay for delivery. The other store has free delivery, and the "delivery contractors" is a uninsured part time guy, if they damage the furniture, it's on them not the furniture store!

I've noticed most places have "free delivery" is this some sort of franchise contract with the furniture makers?

The big secret of cheapo junk furniture stores (furniture mart, American furniture warehouse, etc) is selling bottom quality furniture made for pennies for hundreds of dollars. See Ashley furniture products or similar.

Ask to speak to the sales manager and demand free delivery or you walk and they will usually give it to you.

What kind of furniture?

I've stopped going to furniture stores when I need something. We just pick out what we want in a catalog and then take it to the local Amish builders - the quality is unbelievable and you get to custom spec whatever you want. Price is very fair too.

Amish-built furniture seems to be everywhere from high end furniture stores to the wood casings for those small electric fireplaces. Has that taken off in recent years or is the term "Amish" akin to an undefined one?? The products I've seen seem to have "Pennsylvanis Dutch-style" origins versus "Amish" made in the PRC.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
the "delivery contractors" is a uninsured part time guy, if they damage the furniture, it's on them not the furniture store!

What kind of places are you shopping? I'd be worried about uninsured workers injuring themselves while working on my property.

Maybe its they really aren't going out of business. We had a local store that was going out of business for twenty years.

Last edited:
Furniture sales are a step below used cars sales. They will wheel and deal.

It's all made in China from MDF with veneers. The stores that can make good deals are able to buy it by the container load and have their own logistics for hauling it in from Port.

I don't normally care for California's CARB but check any new furniture for the CARB low emissions stamp. There's a lot of cheap furniture that off gasses VOCs and formaldehyde and can make you have allergic reactions.

Furniture chains are repulsive and have el cheap quality stuff. Find a good mom and pop furniture store if you want high quality furniture. If you have one of those big Salvation Army stores near you,they'll sometimes have mint condition antique furniture so cheap they're practically giving it away.

I agree with fining a smaller place for better quality stuff. We found a store called The Furniture Place ( RT 46 fairfield nj) right behind an Ashley furniture store. The quality difference was remarkable for being a short walk across the parking lot. It was a bit more, but its made in Usa with usa materials, and it feels so much more solid than our older Bobs couch.

I wish there were Amish/Hutterite here. They have the highest quality farm produce you can find!

Reminds me of a pork farmer nearby who murdered and butchered prostitutes and fed them to his pigs. I played dodge ball with someone who's grandfather was friends with this farmer. She admits to having eaten some of this pork when visiting her grandparents as a small child. Obviously this wasn't discovered until she was in her late teens/early 20's.

true story
coffee2.gif

1) By the time the pig eats the human it's OK. Now, if the farmer made sausages directly out of murdered prostitutes...that would be disgusting.

2) In addition to the outgassing of bad stuff, cheap furniture is sprayed with mold and mildew-proofing. I bet any warehouse that furniture sees is bargain basement too (as in ill-maintained).

You can rent a small truck or cargo van for $19.95 That is likely cheaper than the delivery charge and is what I have done.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

I've noticed most places have "free delivery" is this some sort of franchise contract with the furniture makers?

They don't want you to see their shabby warehouse. The free delivery is to their benefit.

It's stupid because I have a busy life and don't want to wait around all day for that mattress/ dishwasher/ etc. When I'm shopping a brick and mortar store I want it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back