New Oil Filter Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good quality video. By that I mean sound and visual clarity are decent.
The rest is (yawn .....)

All that effort; what does it prove? It's educational for someone that does not realize that those topics (metal vs fiber; BP location; media density; etc) just don't make a hoot of difference in real world protection for any normal OFCI.

Bench racing filters, quite literally, on the bench.

The value to this video is in the absence of disparity of results. No matter the construction, all these filters return good results overall. Which means the nuance exhibited and pointed out are essentially moot. Mostly because filter features and efficiency don't really control wear rates as much as people think.

Last edited:
I appreciate the effort and expense you put in to making this video. Thanks. I did FF some but still for the novice it's fine.

Last edited:
Excellent job on your video
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I still like Fram Ultra out of any oil filter made.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The rest is (yawn .....)

All that effort; what does it prove? It's educational for someone that does not realize that those topics (metal vs fiber; BP location; media density; etc) just don't make a hoot of difference in real world protection for any normal OFCI.

The value to this video is in the absence of disparity of results. No matter the construction, all these filters return good results overall. Which means the nuance exhibited and pointed out are essentially moot. Mostly because filter features and efficiency don't really control wear rates as much as people think.

Wow, usually agree with you on stuff but the way you come off in this post is a straight up (edit - mod). Your critical feedback could have been presented better than stating with “yawn”.
21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I really appreciate your admission that this is only your opinion based upon personal preference, and that the filter engineers that make these filters make designs that work.

There are so many oil filter evaluation videos on Youtube where the person speaks as though their evaluation is absolute, yet it is clear that they are no more qualified than the next guy in determining what makes a good filter.

I thought it was very good on the parts I watched, no time to see all, and it touched on things many ignore like the adbv and how it sits on the baseplate. I see much larger nubs on the Fram end cap than remembered. My only issue on many you tubes is hand gestures. I can't watch those very long.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Excellent job on your video
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I still like Fram Ultra out of any oil filter made.

I agree!
Thank You very much for the time and expense you put into making this video.
All of you that were bored with his voluntary effort for us to learn from, let's see your video! Before you stand on a soap box and beat your chest, let's see what you can bring to the table!

Love seeing a current video on filters because of the constant changes that take place in the filter industry. Well done! Would like to see a new video on the bottom of the line store-brand filters out there; i.e.- STP, Microguard, CARQUEST, etc. Use a lot of those due to very low mileage O.C. on my vehicles. I've seen STP filters made in China at Autozone. Don't know what to think about those.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
All of you that were bored with his voluntary effort for us to learn from, let's see your video! Before you stand on a soap box and beat your chest, let's see what you can bring to the table!

We don't have to bring anything to the table. The table if full already; there's no place to put anything on any table. There's already multiple videos of all manner of filters cut open.

Open youtube; search this "oil filter cut open" ...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oil+filter+cut+open
Does it appear to you that a deficit exists in this regard? Because I see more than 100 videos (so many I quit counting ...)

He didn't do anything new or unique. He rehashed what's been done many times before. What he did was make a REALLY LONG video of stuff we already know about; stuff that's already documented in many other videos.

Seriously, BOF, what did you "learn" from his video, that you didn't already know about? Anything in that video has already been shown/told/discussed/explained ad nauseam.

However this was on You Tube. Most people that view this video maybe never heard on BITOG. His video is not entirely about us learning something new.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The rest is (yawn .....)

Wow, usually agree with you on stuff but the way you come off in this post is a straight up (edit - mod). Your critical feedback could have been presented better than stating with “yawn”.
21.gif

The sultan of moot …

Meh, never mind. I was wrong.
iunderpressure, I for one, respect what you did.
I guess if the Wright Brothers had listened to all the nay sayers we would be driving, taking a ship, or a train, to where ever it is we wanted to go. Oh, and let's not forget about walking.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Cut open new oil filters are interesting to some extent-but the real info is in the cut open USED ones!!

+1 Dissecting a used filter is better since you can observe not only the quality of the filter but also the visible trappings can be observed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back