Engine startup wear understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Actually, it's funny

Stop start is clearly CAFE...it's 100% about saving a poofteenth of an MPG.

However, people argue that 0W20 and 0W16 etc. are about engine protection...

Trust the engineers, they have it all figured out.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: bradtech
GM deemed it unncessary to put an option in to disable it in my Malibu. Other than tricking it not to by driving habits or down shifting into L.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: bradtech
What about all the auto-stop features they are putting on the newer cars? Do you guys foresee premature engine failures due to excessive stop/start in traffic?

I can't see how it could possibly do the engine any good. I'd be willing to bet an engine that stays on vs. one that is started and stopped several thousand more times during its lifetime will fare better. Now take an engine that is supposedly "designed" to handle start stop technology and disable it you might really have a longer lasting engine, a better battery, starter, and alternator.

Stop start would be the first thing I disable if I owned a car with it. In fact I'd probably buy the dongle to disable it and plug it in after I took title to the car and disable it on the dealers lot before driving home. I don't have the patience to turn it off every time I get in the car to drive.
27.gif
After driving a friends Jeep GC equipped with it the other day I realized once again how much I couldn't stand it. There I feel better now. LOL FTR the GC was great otherwise.

OT rant off..........

If I understand you correctly there is no way to disable it? Is there a dongle in the aftermarket to accomplish disabling it?

Think I have to drive around in L6 instead of just shifting into D. Someone rigged a way on a malibu forum to disable it by tricking the hood is open.

Originally Posted By: Claud

The Rover SDI launched in the UK in 1975 had a device that turned off the ignition until 3 psi oil pressure was achieved.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

My car currently won't start without choke (which it doesn't have) so its optimised its own protection. A form of mechanical evolution?

One consequence was that if the battery wasn't in good shape or the engine was out of tune it would be cranked over for prolonged periods with the choke on, a good recipe for rapid startup wear.

Not with the Punkworks Choke Substitute, ava1lable at a tobacconist and medical supplies store (two very complementary biznizes) near you. No fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Got me to thinking . What if your car engine had an electric 12 VDC oil pump which came on , say , 30 seconds ( or until an oil sensor showed positive oil pressure ) . Then the starter circuit was enabled .

Would not be unlike energizing the glow plugs on a diesel engine .

The Rover SDI launched in the UK in 1975 had a device that turned off the ignition until 3 psi oil pressure was achieved. Previous cars equipped with same engine - the all alloy Buick 215 from the 1960's essentially - were reasonably long lived without such a device.
One consequence was that if the battery wasn't in good shape or the engine was out of tune it would be cranked over for prolonged periods with the choke on, a good recipe for rapid startup wear.

Claud.

Actually, that poses a bit of a dilemma. If my car wont start without choke, am I better off from a wear reduction perspective turning it over for a bit before applying the choke, or applying the choke straight away?

The first option seems comparable to the SD1 system you describe above, (unless it included a fuel shut off), so if the BL people did their sums right, that should be the best option.

Until late in its production, I think all British spec. SD1's were carburreted (SU's. I rather miss SU's). Its probably quite difficult to shut off the fuel in a carburetted engine because of the float chamber, so I suspect they might not have done so, but maybe the metering needle was locked "shut"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back