Longest work commute in time/mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5-6 miles and anywhere from 12-25 minutes. My old job when I traveled it was some days 450 miles and 6-7 hours.

Last edited:
Depends on what I'm doing, can be 5 to 100 miles and that is 5 minutes to 2 hours.

Luckily I work from home 3 days and 2 day on the road.

51 miles in about 55 min. to work (no traffic). Same distance but 1 hr. 10 min. or so back home because of traffic.

Depends.

If I go into Chicago, 52 miles, 90+ minutes, most of that being train (which almost never runs according to the schedule).
If I go to a remote office, 15 miles, and maybe 25 minutes.

Worst ever was a 49 mile commute that was all driving and took about an hour, but only because I worked an off-shift and was driving at the end of rush-hour. Between that driving and house-hunting on the weekends, I was changing the oil every month.

I just did an Uber from my hotel back to the airport in LA. The driver lives in Applevalley and works downtown LA, which is 88 miles one way! His Camry had 200,000+ miles and he said he will keep it for at least another 100,000. He buys used cars with 100,000+ for cheap.

I've never had more that about 9 miles ~15-16 minutes(21 years) and another job was 8+ miles ~12 minutes(17 years). I was very fortunate with both jobs in terms of driving distance and time even in foul weather. Prior to these two jobs, I worked at many jobs for 6-7 years trying to stay gainfully employed.

Several time in my career where we had an absolute terrible snow storms and the companies sent all employees home early, it took me 45-60 minutes due to severely bad weather and marginally plowed parking lots & roads.

Last edited:
For 18 years I did a 2.5 hour 130 mile commute daily.
Fortunately, I'm retired now, fail to comprehend how I did it for that many years, and don't miss it at all.

Depends which gates open. Longer one is probably about 350 metres. Never timed it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wwillson
I just did an Uber from my hotel back to the airport in LA. The driver lives in Applevalley and works downtown LA, which is 88 miles one way! His Camry had 200,000+ miles and he said he will keep it for at least another 100,000. He buys used cars with 100,000+ for cheap.

I feel very sorry for that guy.

I'm retired now. My longest drive to my downtown office in Tampa was 25 minutes. My shortest to an outlier office was 10 minutes. For my oldest son, he drives 12 miles and it takes him 1 1/2 hours each morning. Afternoon home might be longer. But this is in Atlanta. I don't know how he does it. His wife has it almost as bad.

My commute now is 15 minutes, about 6 miles. I am based at that site then travel a few times a week to other sites that are both 15 minutes away from the first one. Pretty easy, the problem is my Jeep is barely getting to operating temperature by the time I get there.

My previous job was about 35 minutes into the city, which was pretty easy also, not much traffic and lots of highway.

My first job was 45 minutes away in the morning, but on the way home there were 5 other companies in the area that closed at the same time and 2 schools that let out. It would take anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours to get home, which I couldn't take after a few months. I thought about moving closer but the job itself was very stressful and housing was crazy expensive in that area.

How much you like the job will also dictate how much you hate the commute. If the job sucks then it makes the commute seem worse.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Is this for the Bureau of Transportation Statistics?

No, do you have an answer?

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Fortunately, I'm retired now, fail to comprehend how I did it for that many years, and don't miss it at all.

I can't even fathom that!

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Wow that's incredible!

My longest distance commute: once a week, 133 miles one way.

My longest commute by horror and frustration: 8 miles and 45 minutes. I'll never live in the DC area again.

As a defense contractor, my commute was ~7000 miles and 35 hours one way. Did a round trip 3-5 times a year.

I've finally given it up, and now commute 18 miles a day.

Retired.

Bed to La-Z-Boy ~ 18'
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back