Pleasant Ubuntu surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter had been using 2009 Lenovo i3 U460 To run Ubuntu/Chrome off a 120gb PNY SSD.

My work computer a beefy W530 Lenovo with i7 and 24gb ram was collecting dust. I simply moved the SSD into 2nd tray of laptop reset boot order and voila not a single error thrown Ubuntu booted up. Floored as windows never would do this!

Not sure if typical but moving drive it just boots and works.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Not sure if typical but moving drive it just boots and works.

Yup. I've got Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a flash drive, and freely move it between several laptops. Works flawlessly on all of them.

Not getting the Windows hate. I just swapped an SSD into my wife's Ivybridge-i5-powered Sony laptop and using Samsung's software was literally as easy as it gets. Her laptop now has a new lease on life; from slow as heck and seemingly needing replacement to super freaking fast! Seriously, it's like a brand new laptop now!

Same goes for my Nehalem-i7-powered PC with its new SSD.

//

I've used Mint to get files off of "failed" drives. It worked great and helped me get back to an eventual W10-installed setup.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Not getting the Windows hate. I just swapped an SSD into my wife's Ivybridge-i5-powered Sony laptop and using Samsung's software was literally as easy as it gets. Her laptop now has a new lease on life; from slow as heck and seemingly needing replacement to super freaking fast! Seriously, it's like a brand new laptop now!

//

I've used Mint to get files off of "failed" drives. It worked great and helped me get back to an eventual W10-installed setup.

Same here, I was using Mint for a few years and switched back to W10. Still using Mint on one machine, but I'm enjoying W10 more.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

//

I have no hate but try taking your W10 OS Hard Drive from your Sony laptop and plugging into an HP. Good luck
smile.gif

Ubuntu somehow does not care too much. I am able to move SSD hard drive across machines from lowly old i3 to an i7 to Virtual Box on MacBook Pro and it just boots and runs without a snag and best resolution it can. Linux used to be the biggest piece of garbage for a desktop user and not for faint of heart. It has come a long way. Not saying it is for everyone.

Linux-on-the-desktop isn't popular not because of the OS (which is just fine) or GUI (which is also just fine); it's applications that are hindering adoption.

People either expect the same software they were trained to use (MS Office, Photoshop) or there are apps needed that don't have an open source equivalent. Users have to be steered or forced to accept change (there's no fighting human nature), and if they do, at least the Office software is pretty easily adopted to. GIMP is functional for basic needs but if a user has trained on Photoshop it will be a frustrating experience few are willing to see to the end.

For users without those needs it's highly recommended. Computer users are a funny bunch; they tend to over-estimate their requirements while spending 100% of their actual time on screen with very basic tools. They happily migrate to tablets but insist on being able to calculate the trajectory of a Saturn5 rocket on their desktops (which Linux would, ironically, be better able to perform), even if they never actually use that functionality.

For most home and business office environments Linux would be a viable and reliable choice. There are areas where it does very poorly in comparison to commercial OSs / applications, with photo and graphics editing and production being the most glaring. Low and Mid-level video is also poorly represented, but high level video, 2D vector and 3D rendering options are excellent. Few home users would be affected by these limits or advantages.

By far the biggest barrier to adoption of Open Source environments for the home user is documentation. Software developers would rather have daily root canals without anasthetic than write documentation that is complete and is written for a non-technical audience. (Compounding the problem is the nature of Open Source software, which tends to constantly evolve in small steps which can render existing documentation problematic, where some small change creates an installation or use barrier, and these issues can occur more frequently than with closed source software). They write code, not English, and without actually investigating, will usually reply that everything a user needs is online (somewhere). That is simply not good enough if one expects Linux to succeed on the desktop.

My daughters school made a brilliant move.

They adopted google docs and all cloud applications for elearning.

That allowed them to purchase a chrome book for every kid 4th grade up to 8th grade. Thankfully they keep on site.

I have no hate but try taking your W10 OS Hard Drive from your Sony laptop and plugging into an HP. Good luck
smile.gif

As long as the chipset is similar and the mode on the controller the same (IDE, AHCI, RAID), the odds are it will work. I just swapped a hard drive from an old DELL workstation running Windows XP for a legacy app into a much newer Core-based DELL Optiplex. Changed the controller operating mode to IDE before letting it boot and it went straight to the desktop and sat there for a bit detecting the new hardware. Works fine.

With Windows 7/Vista I've had them want to re-activate when doing this.

Not that this is a frequent task of mine, but I've done it enough times.

Before I sold my gaming rig, it was a dual-boot with Windows 7 (and later 10) and Fedora. Also had Ubuntu on it. Whenever I did a BIOS upgrade I had to re-order the drives in the BIOS because neither OS would boot with them the way they were populated natively by the BIOS after the update.

My daughters school made a brilliant move.

They adopted google docs and all cloud applications for elearning.

That allowed them to purchase a chrome book for every kid 4th grade up to 8th grade. Thankfully they keep on site.

Our school district does the same thing with docs (but doesn't purchase Chromebooks for them) so my two kids just use an older laptop with Linux installed with the Chrome Browser. Everything they do is through the browser so it all works perfect for them.

smile.gif

Ubuntu somehow does not care too much.

Because it is free, open-source software, the developers of Linux-based OS's have no interest in restricting your use of the software. You are encouraged to share it with others!

You CAN install Windows on as many systems as you like (and could use a HDD or SDD with Windows already installed on it), as long as you pony up the requisite $$$$ for the license to use it.

My old laptop (Core 2 Duo) had a SATA port problem that replacing HD never fixes, but if I swap the HD into a optical tray it works perfectly. So that's what I do now, running it off the optical tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back