Bilstein vs KYB vs ZF Group vs Monroe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5L (4A91 engine), model of 2010.

No sport shocks are available from the title's manufacturers for it, only the following ones:

So which of the above is the most suitable for a sport driving style?

Bilstein has been top notch in all I've seen.

Monroe OESpectrum aren't very good. Which is a shame, cause the other Monroe shocks like Reflex and Sensatrac are good.

KYB has performed well for me in my 300ZX (before I went with coilovers) and my Matrix. If I'm not mistaken, they make the OE shock/struts for several Japanese manufacturers.

"ZF Group offers 4 brands: SACHS, LEMFORDER, BOGE and TRW" - only heard of Sachs and TRW. Sachs is an econo-line at best. Good for a few months before you sell the car sorta thing. TRW makes good tie rod ends, but I've no experience with their shock/struts.

Last edited:
I had the same impression.
I also think of changing front top mounts along with the struts. Any reason to change rear top mounts too? Car has about 80 thousand miles.

Sachs/Lemforder is OEM supplier for BMW Merecedes and Audi/VW, Id say theyre probably the best in terms of OE replacement. Bilsteins are probably a slight upgrade at B4, but B6 would be the best for sport shocks. The others are a cheaper quaflity replacement, id only go with them for the price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rudy1999 250
Bilstein B4 ..... Best out there.

Or B6, or B8. The point is, Bilstein.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

"ZF Group offers 4 brands: SACHS, LEMFORDER, BOGE and TRW" - only heard of Sachs and TRW. Sachs is an econo-line at best. Good for a few months before you sell the car sorta thing. TRW makes good tie rod ends, but I've no experience with their shock/struts.

What are you talking about, that is totally false info! Sachs is one of the best on the market and Boge is the same part in a different box eg Boge Turbo and Sachs advantage. Lemforderer and TRW are relabeled. Sachs and Boge years ago were independent and were different but both had an equally sold reputation and were an OE supplier in their own right. ZF is an OE supplier today without the branding but manufacturers symbols and part numbers.

I remember the Boge and Sachs branded OE shocks and struts with OE part numbers on new cars, they still come from the same factories today.
They are equal to the Bilstein B4, the mono tube variants are equal to the B6. Quality wise there is not much if anything between them.
Monroe is just scrap metal, not much else to say about them. Koni has a few models also that are really good and worth looking at if they make them for your application.

I'd vote Bilstein. I've never had good luck with monroes, I find they always end up leaking around the year mark after install.

KYB is the largest shock manufacturer, and the OE supplier to most Japanese cars.

I know that Japanese cars aren't as popular in Europe, and Mitsubishi is one of the smaller car companies, there might not be as many parts available for it, or as much of a market for them.

This means that all the ones you mentioned could be the same KYB shocks in different boxes.

That said, KYB's aftermarket shocks are supposedly 10% more firm than OE

Originally Posted By: Audios
Sachs/Lemforder is OEM supplier for BMW Merecedes and Audi/VW, Id say theyre probably the best in terms of OE replacement. Bilsteins are probably a slight upgrade at B4, but B6 would be the best for sport shocks. The others are a cheaper quaflity replacement, id only go with them for the price.

They only produce B4 for this specific Lancer, as far as I know...

Originally Posted By: Trav

What are you talking about, that is totally false info! Sachs is one of the best on the market and Boge is the same part in a different box eg Boge Turbo and Sachs advantage. Lemforderer and TRW are relabeled. Sachs and Boge years ago were independent and were different but both had an equally sold reputation and were an OE supplier in their own right. ZF is an OE supplier today without the branding but manufacturers symbols and part numbers.

I remember the Boge and Sachs branded OE shocks and struts with OE part numbers on new cars, they still come from the same factories today.
They are equal to the Bilstein B4, the mono tube variants are equal to the B6. Quality wise there is not much if anything between them.
Monroe is just scrap metal, not much else to say about them. Koni has a few models also that are really good and worth looking at if they make them for your application.

Koni Sport are available at around 700 €. I think they are an overkill for a car with 110 hp.

Also KW Coilover Variant 2 inox are compatible with the car, but they cost 1500 € and if Koni is an overkill I don't know how I should characterize those.

Call Bilstein. It may cost a little more, but they should be able to valve a set any way you want. I know they will for rebuilds.

If you're on an all stock setup, I'd go with the B4s out of the box. I think you'll be happy.

Originally Posted By: inquirer
Koni Sport are available at around 700 €. I think they are an overkill for a car with 110 hp.

Also KW Coilover Variant 2 inox are compatible with the car, but they cost 1500 € and if Koni is an overkill I don't know how I should characterize those.

If you are looking for sport shocks for a sport driving style, and you can afford the $700 for Koni, then you should get them. They will be better than any of the other shocks you listed in your OP
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Call Bilstein. It may cost a little more, but they should be able to valve a set any way you want. I know they will for rebuilds.

If you're on an all stock setup, I'd go with the B4s out of the box. I think you'll be happy.

You mean they can build a B6, even if they don't have it in their catalog? Who should I contact? I'm in Greece by the way...

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
OEM is not on the list - any reason you want to stay after market

Beause always (or almost always) OEM parts are overpriced and they are just rebranded parts from other manufacturers. (I bet in this case the original shocks are made by KYB.) And in this case I would like to avoid OEM because they were really soft for my taste.

Yes OEM is priced higher because any strut manufacture needs to build it to OEM specs. Is the KYB meeting the OEM specs, yes, according to their marketing team production goals. But in reality they are very different struts.

I have had aftermarket KYB for. 25K miles now and they suck big time, I Have to redo the fronts with OEM, food for thought.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Thanks Trav! you beat me to it!

I have Sachs in my civic right now and they're going on 3 years old, no issues at all. Build quality is identical to Honda, which isn't surprising since Sachs is a supplier to Honda in Europe. I did it because Honda's valving was way too soft, mushy.

So yeah I had to defend Sachs after the junk from KYB and Moog I had fail on the Civic!

I'm glad to see the truth being defended on this forum!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Yes OEM is priced higher because any strut manufacture needs to build it to OEM specs. Is the KYB meeting the OEM specs, yes, according to their marketing team production goals. But in reality they are very different struts.

I have had aftermarket KYB for. 25K miles now and they suck big time, I Have to redo the fronts with OEM, food for thought.

I know of your other post about the Toyota OEM shocks/struts. I know Sachs can meet Honda's quality but I dont know of anyone meeting Toyota's quality level except for Toyota!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back