Smart For Four oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dumped the factory fill after 4k miles or so.

Left the oil filter in situ.

Annual Service due by time (1 year from first registration at beginning of May 2017)

Car now doing mainly short trips of 1 and 2 miles then being parked up.

Put in Mobil 1 0w40 FS, bought from Costco for £30, they now only stock that Mobil 1 0w40 rather than New Life and Turbo Diesel.

I don't know what the factory fill was.

Probably overkill but I didn't want to leave thw factory fill in the sump now that the car is being short tripped so much.

I wouldn't of been able to wait that long to swap the factory fill but you only went 4k miles so not bad. I'd say good idea on changing it though
smile.gif

I was itching to change it but lack of time and the cold weather meant I put it off.

Smart don't have a 1000 mile change in the Schedule.

We have had it nearly 6months now and until 5/6 weeks ago it was fairly putting on the miles then in the last 5/6 weeks it has done just over 400miles.

It is a 0.9 litre 3 cylinder turbo knocking out nearly 90bhp which I think it pretty decent for what it is.

But the sump is over 4 litres!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I wouldn't of been able to wait that long to swap the factory fill but you only went 4k miles so not bad. I'd say good idea on changing it though
smile.gif

My Brother's 2015 Challenger is still on it's FF.....

...of course it's only got about 2500mi on it, and has spent the last 2 winters locked away in storage...
he's only put around 500 mi on it since he moved back to OH mid '16...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
smile.gif

...of course it's only got about 2500mi on it, and has spent the last 2 winters locked away in storage...

Surprised he hasnt driven it more, must be a fun car to drive
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
smile.gif

What a waste owning it then, illogical thinking. It is not a rare Ferrari or the like. I can see not putting 12,000 a year, but my God drive the ffreakin thing. Put 6,000 a year on it. He also is not doing any justice leaving the oil in for 2 years with the acids in there, even if it has 2,500 miles on the oil.

If he wanted some value out of it he would of been better to stick it in a climate controlled place and store it for 25 years with running it 20 minutes 3 times a year as it sits so no mileage is going on it. Also at the time run some marine grade oil like Suzuki 10w-40 with all the Boron and other anti-corrosion additives to coat the cylinders with Boron oxides. Otherwise drive the F'en thing.

Last edited:
When I lived in NY, I had a super low mileage Ford Thunderbird because the weather was so terrible, I only drove it 4-5 months out of the year.

Poor thing sat in the garage.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
He also is not doing any justice leaving the oil in for 2 years with the acids in there, even if it has 2,500 miles on the oil.

That is an old wive's tale....

proven on here over and over and over and over and over again to NOT be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back