Do Police Crusiers need to be changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that when a PD gets one or two of these things, there’s all of the sudden calls every 30-45 hours that “require” them

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
https://www.odmp.org/

Are you saying by changing the police cruisers over to the other vehicle these deaths would be highly reduced?

I suggest you dig into that site and review say the 2018 cases and the blurb about each officer and how they died. Then ask do you think it would make a difference.
If you are invoking the dead, lets take it all the way, so you dont just use them for cheap internet points. If the dead were to speak, do you think this is what they wished they had at the moment? Or do you think they would say spend thst 50,000 or $100,000 on something else.

Please link the exact officers story that you believe would agree to spending that part of their depts money on the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
As I recall, there were many surplus MRAPS that the US military did not want to bring back from afghanistan or iraq or something like that. I read that these were offered to police in the US but they did not take them, or very many of them.

They probably have high maintenance costs with all of the special parts, much higher than a passenger vehicles. Although, I think the MRAPS use a similar drivetrain to an armoured car like the dudes who pick up the cash from banks drive. Maybe that level of protection just is not needed.

Running gear is off the shelf, usually: Cat or Cummins diesels (DT570 in the International MaxxPro), Allison transmissions, Meritor axles.

Originally Posted By: thooks
The problem is that when a PD gets one or two of these things, there’s all of the sudden calls every 30-45 hours that “require” them

Spot on. The police already look and act too much like an occupying force.

That's not a "police" thing, that's a "bureaucracy" thing. If you don't justify the use of an item or a budget, said item or budget amount will be taken away.

You are correct. Right now I see the abuse of the helicopter "Life Flights". Late one night in front of where I work we noticed a huge incident with tons of flashing police lights. In minutes, a helicopter "Life Flight" arrived and landed on the roadway. It took off and then another landed. Then a third. We were fearing the worst, thinking there were multiple severe injuries. As it turned out, three teenagers fell asleep at 2AM and run off the road into a muddy ditch. There was not even a real collision. One had a fractured wrist, the other two were shaken a bit but unharmed. They could have drove them to the hospital in less than 10 minutes away by car.

So why 3 helicopters??? INSURANCE MONEY.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Most major Cities already have one of those. I know San Diego does as well as Los Angeles. I do business with the guy that maintains the one here in San Diego.
Seen it in his shop many times.

Well, Baltimore et al might want a handful of these on ready … but I live in a small southern town where we still get four units (Explorer or Tahoe) to tiny fender benders in two minutes flat … don’t need more LEO “presence” …
(we have a National Guard Armory anyway)

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

You are correct. Right now I see the abuse of the helicopter "Life Flights". Late one night in front of where I work we noticed a huge incident with tons of flashing police lights. In minutes, a helicopter "Life Flight" arrived and landed on the roadway. It took off and then another landed. Then a third. We were fearing the worst, thinking there were multiple severe injuries. As it turned out, three teenagers fell asleep at 2AM and run off the road into a muddy ditch. There was not even a real collision. One had a fractured wrist, the other two were shaken a bit but unharmed. They could have drove them to the hospital in less than 10 minutes away by car.

So why 3 helicopters??? INSURANCE MONEY.

And hope they have it, or they will probably have to declare bankruptcy. Of course...six-plus years after he died, my mother is STILL getting bills ($50,000+) addressed to my brother for the Lifeflight transport.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

And hope they have it, or they will probably have to declare bankruptcy. Of course...six-plus years after he died, my mother is STILL getting bills ($50,000+) addressed to my brother for the Lifeflight transport.

I don't care how you want to slice it or dice it: Transporting 3 boys by life flight to a nearby hospital (10 min. away) when the WORST thing was a fractured wrist and the other two were not even injured is ROBBERY.

Running gear is off the shelf, usually: Cat or Cummins diesels (DT570 in the International MaxxPro), Allison transmissions, Meritor axles.

I was under the impression the BearCats use Ford powertrains.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

I don't care how you want to slice it or dice it: Transporting 3 boys by life flight to a nearby hospital (10 min. away) when the WORST thing was a fractured wrist and the other two were not even injured is ROBBERY.

It's not robbery if you don't pay the bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back