Snow Joe Ultra SJ623E Motor Break-in Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
This corded snow thrower was on sale for just over $100, shipped a couple of weeks ago.

The instructions say that the motor and augur are lubricated for life, but WD-40 can be added at the chute swivel point. I've got a couple of questions:

1. I have Deep Creep, silicone spray, and a 3-in-1 bottle. What would you use in place of WD-40 for the chute and rotating arm bushing?

2. DC motors typically benefit from a good break-in. My Google-fu is lacking and I haven't been able to find out what type of motor this thing has, but I'm guessing A/C wound, which leads me to believe no break-in is required. What say you all?

There seems to be another snow storm coming and I want to give this thing every chance not to let me down. I understand full well that it's a thrower, not a blower...

Last edited:
I use whatever is cheaper at the time for chute lube for my Honda. I would caution getting too much or getting the paddles oiled. Those should last you a few years.. The motor would be a simple ac motor. Really no maintenance can be done but maybe tilt it back and run it freewheel for 5 to 10 minutes before first use.

Ive heard mixed reviews on the snow joes. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks, muddawgs. I've never heard of breaking-in an A/C motor. When swapped out on ships, we just swapped them out and turned them on - no fuss, no muss.

For RC brushed motors, I know there are various regiments for breaking-in a motor, from free-wheeling to disassembly and a longer submersed run. I think I'll take your advice and free-wheel it for a bit before first use.

I did already hand-rotate and then run for 30 seconds to ensure no binding or issues. I'll do it again, for a longer time, before first use. Can't hurt.

I always run mixers,drills, fans and saws for a bit to listen for noises. It's funny you say that because I worked at a hobby store and broke in hundreds of 27turn trinity stock motors for races. I still have most of my rc stuff today. Let us know how that machine works out for you.

Came back from wife's family and the driveway snow had already melted...all well, maybe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back