Subaru oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The remaining 75% of the oil was doing "overtime duty" so how do you want to figure that in your reasoning? Myself, I would have changed it since it was so close to your 6k interval instead of adding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crainholio
My '09 Forester EJ25 has a predictable oil consumption pattern...near zero for the first ~3K miles each OCI, then it starts burning oil at a rate of 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles thereafter. Manual says 7,500mi OCI, I do around 6K miles.

However, this only seems to happen on prolonged highway cruising at 2800-3000RPM. When I flip work contracts and I'm not running a weekly 480 mile commute (230 on Monday, 230 back home on Friday, misc local mileage), it's all short trip mileage and holds the level all the way to ~6K mile oil change. Prolonged high-rev operation seems to drive oil consumption.

I've replaced the PCV valve with a Subaru part, no effect. It seems to burn the least when running Valvoline synthetic high mileage 5W-30 in Winter, and same flavor in 10W-30 in Summer. The worst consumption was with Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30, and the valvetrain was noisy at hot idle. I tried 3 OCIs with this M1 and it chewed up oil at nearly 1 quart per 1K miles after it got past 2K miles each OCI. The engine has 109K miles on it and runs well, 24-26MPG if I keep the tach around 2500 RPM on the highway.

Same exact story with my '09 legacy.

We have an '08 Legacy GT Turbocharged. It has 145,000 miles on it and doesn't use a drop of oil! It leaks a tiny bit around the turbo drain but isn't ever noticeable on the stick between OCI's Thats pretty sad a 2015-2016 Suby is normally using 1+ quarts with low mileage like that!

Edit: I do only use 0W-40 Pennzoil Platinum in it...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crainholio
My '09 Forester EJ25 has a predictable oil consumption pattern...near zero for the first ~3K miles each OCI, then it starts burning oil at a rate of 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles thereafter. Manual says 7,500mi OCI, I do around 6K miles.

However, this only seems to happen on prolonged highway cruising at 2800-3000RPM. When I flip work contracts and I'm not running a weekly 480 mile commute (230 on Monday, 230 back home on Friday, misc local mileage), it's all short trip mileage and holds the level all the way to ~6K mile oil change. Prolonged high-rev operation seems to drive oil consumption.

I've replaced the PCV valve with a Subaru part, no effect. It seems to burn the least when running Valvoline synthetic high mileage 5W-30 in Winter, and same flavor in 10W-30 in Summer. The worst consumption was with Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30, and the valvetrain was noisy at hot idle. I tried 3 OCIs with this M1 and it chewed up oil at nearly 1 quart per 1K miles after it got past 2K miles each OCI. The engine has 109K miles on it and runs well, 24-26MPG if I keep the tach around 2500 RPM on the highway.

I also found oil consumption to only really show itself with prolonged high speed usage aswell.

This was with a 2004 Legacy 2.0 Auto, the economy single cam engine with 137bhp that was fitted for the first couple of years of production.

I have found that my wife's 2008 Outback non turbo 2.5EJ burned .5 qt. per 3K miles oil when using Shell Rotella 15W40 or 30wt. Once I switched to Rotella T-6 5w40, the oil consumption disappeared. I used to change the mineral oil at 3.5K mile intervals. Now I change the Rotella synthetic every 4K miles. The car is a short tripper most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back