Latest Copart purchase- not so happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Purchased a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SLE two days ago. I liked what I saw in the pics, I liked the maintenance records. I am somewhat fluent with the 3.8L engine, and the pics showed me it had been maintained. My limit was $225. I bid the live auction using my phone.

When I bid at $200, the connection did not register my bid until two other bids came in, so I ended up bidding $275 (although I pressed the bid button at $200 for a $225). I won the auction. My actual purchase price to Copart ended up at $495, plus $55 dolly rental, and $80 in fuel.

The SLE is a nicely option Bonneville, they typically come with dual power heated seats, etc. This SLE was hit it the right rear passenger door, and also had a smashed quarter panel. When I picked up the SLE yesterday, I liked what I saw. Very clean, inspection good through JUN2019, car looked good. Headlights had no haze on them, and the tailights were not delaminted, all signs of a garage kept SLE. The gas tank filler area did not have bubbles or rust, another issue on the SLEs. Finally, the undercarriage showed minimum corrosion- all really good signs.

Started right up. When I inspected the rear door, my worse fear happened. Although no unibody damage, the panel area of the body where the door locks/ secures was damaged. No simple door swap out. I am not sure I will be able to get the panel back to operational condition without a lot of time.

Took her for a test drive, she ran awesome. Only other thing I was not so happy about was the tires were dry rotted. Always hopeful for a nice set of tires when a salvage vehicle is purchased- not in the case.

Not sure if I will part her out, try to fix myself, or send it to the community college for the body shop class. Or give it to another neighbor kid, same color as the last one I gave away, although it had the supercharged 3.8l.

Last edited:
Still a great price for what appears to be a well maintained car. If you could get 20k miles before ditching it then you're still ahead.

And hey you don't have to worry about door dings at the grocery store!

Repair of that rear quarter panel seems to be a real problem. I'd like to know how it's done. I assume you cut out a piece and replace it. Probably not easy to get it right.

If you could have it repaired by the community college body shop class you would have an awesome deal. It might (or might not) be perfect but either way, terrific for what you paid.

I assume you get the repaired car back. Yes?

Good idea to have the community college fix it. Esp if you get it back!

Recently some high school shop students fixed up a police car that was damaged during the Cavs championship parade. Some people jumped on the top of it damaging the roof, hood, trunk, plus who knows what else etc. It was going to be a total loss until they fixed it.

You can always park that thing at my house, I can fix that and have a nice winter beater
grin.gif

Recalling PA's salvage inspections as long as everything looks back to normal and no frame damage you get your cert and then can get the title. Personally I'd just pull out the quarter and door latch area, then pop on a JY door. Good project for someone like myself, not so much if you gotta pay someone to do it.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Repair of that rear quarter panel seems to be a real problem. I'd like to know how it's done. I assume you cut out a piece and replace it. Probably not easy to get it right.

That's how it's done more or less - there looks some sectioning to be done with the C-pillar, wheelhouse and maybe the rear bulkhead. Most of that is held on with spotwelds.

The whole quarter panel will have to be repainted and if you want to make things look right, the roof will need to be recleared. The paint makers discourage blending clearcoats on the C-pillar or other large vertical panels without a "breakline" for durability concerns.

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2015/0...learcoat-paint/

That kind of damage means "parts car". Though it doesn't look that bad to the untrained eye, a hit to that particular spot is really difficult to restore fully. If you can get the door to open and close, install new glass and/or used door, and that would be legal in your state, drive it like that.

This thread is laughable. These cars end up at CoPart for a reason. There are very, very, few diamonds among all the complete total junk there.

If you don't own your own body shop-most are a complete waste of time....and money.

Originally Posted By: CKN
This thread is laughable. These cars end up at CoPart for a reason. There are very, very, few diamonds among all the complete total junk there.

If you don't own your own body shop-most are a complete waste of time....and money.

Maybe, but you can enter certain search criteria under damage, as normal wear and tear, or hail damage(look at pics) with no broken glass, one step up would be "minor dents and scratches". All other seems to fall under junk imo. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: CKN

As long as you can wrench and don't mind a small project I think you can find a good deal on a beater, work car or car for a kid. I wouldn't expect to find a prized jewel that I'm going to spend the weekend waxing there.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: ecotourist

That's how it's done more or less - there looks some sectioning to be done with the C-pillar, wheelhouse and maybe the rear bulkhead. Most of that is held on with spotwelds.

The whole quarter panel will have to be repainted and if you want to make things look right, the roof will need to be recleared. The paint makers discourage blending clearcoats on the C-pillar or other large vertical panels without a "breakline" for durability concerns.

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2015/0...learcoat-paint/

Of course they do...because they want you to have to buy more paint! For a new car, I agree...for a 15-year-old driver, not a big deal. Especially if the guy in the paint shop knows what he is doing and can blend it properly.

I admit, I'm spoiled...I know body/paint guys who can fix ANYTHING. I know a guy who could get that quarter 100% perfect without panel replacement...sadly, he retired.
frown.gif

Though, your trunk would smell like ganja after he finished.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back