What are we paying for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: code5coupe
Blackstone Labs recently went on record as saying that in all their oil analysis work, they've not yet come across any evidence that there are brands of oil that are "better" than others.
Use the correct oil, change it often and regularly, and your engine will not know the difference, whether it's Redline or SuperTech.

BMW will be happy to hear that … edyvw too !

Blackstone Labs recently went on record as saying that in all their oil analysis work, they've not yet come across any evidence that there are brands of oil that are "better" than others.
Use the correct oil, change it often and regularly, and your engine will not know the difference, whether it's Redline or SuperTech.

Correct, If using conservative OCI (up to 5,000 miles). I don't believe i saw where anything further was involved in their study. But many mfc now recommend extended OCI and have calibrated their OLMS to track that way.

This has an authoritative ring to it but really means nothing.
We should all be well aware of the limitations of these UOAs as a gauge of engine wear as well as their lack of utility in comparing oils.
They also tell us nothing about excess timing chain wear, deposit accumulation and ring coking, although the former two might be ameliorated with more frequent drains.
UOAs don't actually tell us much about oil quality and its influence on long-term engine health.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

This has an authoritative ring to it but really means nothing.
We should all be well aware of the limitations of these UOAs as a gauge of engine wear as well as their lack of utility in comparing oils.
They also tell us nothing about excess timing chain wear, deposit accumulation and ring coking, although the former two might be ameliorated with more frequent drains.
UOAs don't actually tell us much about oil quality and its influence on long-term engine health.

And turbo tests … LSPI … proof of performance … some long tests.
The OEM approves … not some little lab that is not even on par with the labs of Chevron, Mobil, and Shell. The small companies buy stuff from them … even can get recipes … so there are some good small companies … but this industry would not be where it is with them alone …

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Oil is oil. I suppose there's no reason for this forum to exist anymore.
grin.gif

Especially when somebody says, "Follow the vehicle manufacturer's specifications."

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
When viewing those prices on the shelf, remember, who is paying for those oil ads during NASCAR races, Super Bowl games, etc. Or in my case with commercial oils, Mobil for instance, will drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on trucker jamborees, truck show events, etc and bring in top name music entertainment which doesn't come cheap. Who is paying for that? Yep, the poor sap who is buying that jug off the shelf. If you like doing that, then it really doesn't matter.

Of course, some people do like these events and sports. I'm no NASCAR fan, but I can't see it doing NASCAR's fans any good if every company sponsoring a team or a track or a driver or the telecast decided to pull out. The same argument applies to any product that advertises. Even our humble little hobby, BITOG, requires sponsorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back