how durable are these new engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Suburban 5.3 Ecotec
Out:Supertech 5W20 Dexos and Napa Proselect 27045 with 15k miles on oil and filter. I was the last one to change it 15k miles ago at 53k miles they neglected to tell me it was due till it had 68k miles.

In: Supertech Dexos 5W20, Pronto PO2500 filter
Drain plug 18 ft lbs

Despite going 15k miles, the drain pan seemed to have 8 quarts in it when I drained it.

Have any of yall seen any cases of neglect regarding the new 5.3 and 6.2 GM Ecotec engines? The info above is one I posted in the "post your latest oil change" section yesterday. Although I don't know if any damage was done, it was still running fine with no unusual noises. I saved the filter and will cut it open soon. Opinions please. Has anyone gone 15k or longer on an oci in one of these engines?

A friend did 15-25K OCIs with M1 5-30 in his 1999 Silverado 5.3. He sold it with 350K and the engine still performed very well. Reason: Third trans failed.

Last edited:
I have 115,000 miles on my Sierra. OCI's are usually between 7200-7500 miles (following the OLM). I have used nothing but Mobil 1 after I starting changing the oil myself. Mostly AFE 0W-20 but have ran EP 0W-20 and now I have high mileage 0W-20 in (just changed last night). Engine has been solid.

Water under the bridge now, anything you read here will be a guess. My guess, is you probably did little to no damage if the oil level was within the safe range when you drained it. I would do an oci half of the recommended interval to clean it up a bit, and then continue with the normal oci going forward.

So the owner/operator ignored the change oil soon, then change oil now message for over 7500 miles?

WHY? Nice vehicle, it is a shame to neglect it.

Last edited:
Who owns this vehicle? Is it Family or? I'd guess no real harm was done other than some extra wear running depleted oil.

Using a high quality full synthetic oil and a premium filter (choose your brands, everyone has their favorite) how many miles for a OCI?
Too many variables to list, just a ball park mileage for most any vehicle and driving type.
Yes, I know a UOA is the only sure way to know.
Would be intereting to see a UOA on the OP 15K oil.

6000?
8000-10,000?
10,000 + ?

Cut open the oil filter!!!!!! That's what I would want to see! I wouldn't run a proselect for 15k miles but it probably didn't rip like a "TearOlator"

Should be fine. The oil was worn out most likely but there was oil present and that’s the really important part.

I’d consider a short oci around 3k to clean but it’s not necessary

Last edited:
I saw a couple 0w20 UOAs a while back for 15000mi, probably on SilveradoSierra forums. They used AFE and EP Mobil oils and had some tbn left. Blackstone gave a good report. I don't know if Supertech dexos is quite that good but I doubt it's that much worse.

mobilaltima said:
2015 Suburban 5.3 Ecotec
Out:Supertech 5W20 Dexos and Napa Proselect 27045 with 15k miles on oil and filter. I was the last one to change it 15k miles ago at 53k miles they neglected to tell me it was due till it had 68k miles.

In: Supertech Dexos 5W20, Pronto PO2500 filter
Drain plug 18 ft lbs

The Chevy truck engines were redesigned in 2014 and are now Gen 5 instead of Gen 4. They have a more sophisticated oiling system. At idle it’s low pressure and then pressures up at highway speed to a much higher pressure than the Gen 4’s. It actually has an electronically activated solenoid involved. The AFM system was redesigned as well to be more reliable. Everything is designed to work with the Dexos oils. I guess reliability is not proven yet as the engines are only 4 years old. Maybe the Bitog truck owners can report in as each milestone is achieved ie: 100K, 150 K, etc.

SF

Last edited:
The Gen 5 engine have been very durable up to this point with a ton of track time on some Camaros & Corvettes. 4 AFM lifter failures to date at my shop.

It's owned by a friend. She started dating a guy who got the Suburban in his divorce, and he lets her drive it. Reason I use and continue to use the economy filters is due to having a few I need to use. Im considering using Mobil 1 EP 5W30 and a Fram Ultra in case this scenario were to happen again.

Last edited:
We have a few 2016 5.3 Silverados in our fleet at work. We stock up on 0w20 Napa synthetic when it goes on sale for these trucks and use Napa Gold filters. One truck pulls a 4500 lb trailer around and all of them are left idling all day so we change the oil at 6k miles. Every one of the trucks consumes at least 3 quarts in that 6k miles, so much we top them off with 10w30 bulk oil. I topped one truck off and the next week the ocean was due, a quart low. The only other vehicle I've dealt with the burned so much oil was my worn out 4.3l el camino with a blue haze following it around. I couldn't imagine a 15k oil change in our trucks, it would take 9 quarts of top off.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
5w20 and economy filter for 15k interval? sounds like a recipe for sludge and engine wear to me

If it was conventional oil yes; with 5-20 Dexos, not a problem.

do you have any oil analysis of a 5.3 gm going this distance without showing low tbn, high oxidation, and elevated wear metals?

bitog is such a joke, lets just all pat each other on the back for using oil too long and cheaping out on filters lol

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
We have a few 2016 5.3 Silverados in our fleet at work. We stock up on 0w20 Napa synthetic when it goes on sale for these trucks and use Napa Gold filters. One truck pulls a 4500 lb trailer around and all of them are left idling all day so we change the oil at 6k miles. Every one of the trucks consumes at least 3 quarts in that 6k miles, so much we top them off with 10w30 bulk oil. I topped one truck off and the next week the ocean was due, a quart low. The only other vehicle I've dealt with the burned so much oil was my worn out 4.3l el camino with a blue haze following it around. I couldn't imagine a 15k oil change in our trucks, it would take 9 quarts of top off.

FWIW I used Napa 0W-20 in my wife's new Jeep Cherokee 2.4L and it used a quart every 2,000 miles until I changed the oil. I use Mobil 1 0W-20 and it doesn't use hardly any oil at all. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 quart in 6,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back