10 year old spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some time this morning to replace the Original ACDelco spark plugs from my 08 Colorado. These are iridium. They look good for 10 years old and the gap was still .043. I replaced because I hit 90k miles on the truck. Truck ran normal before. I install NGK platinum plugs, will probably replace again after 50k miles.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Why not go 100,000 or more? The originals were still in good shape after 90,000.

I already had the new spark plugs, I went through the trouble of pulling the old ones, may as well replace them. I think the original ones could have gone passed 100k no doubt.

My mom's Saturn Vue with the 4 cyl had plugs that looked similar with 130,000 miles on them.
Probably would have easily lasted till 150,000, but it was cheap enough to replace them and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Why not go 100,000 or more? The originals were still in good shape after 90,000.

I already had the new spark plugs, I went through the trouble of pulling the old ones, may as well replace them. I think the original ones could have gone passed 100k no doubt.

Think he means the new spark plugs. If the originals went 90k miles, why not do the same with the replacements?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Think he means the new spark plugs. If the originals went 90k miles, why not do the same with the replacements?

platinum spark plugs are rated for 50k miles usually.

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes

Righto. I forgot they still make them.

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes

I like to be under the hood more often than not so while I’m in there, may as well replace the regular maint items. Same w oil, I do dino or clearance oil at 5k ish OCIs instead of 10k + miles as I don’t mind wrenching on my cars. Now if the plugs were difficult and time consuming to replace, then perhaps I would have gone w OEM plugs.

Those OE Delcos were made by NGK (same as their Laser Iridium series), and the ACDelco iridium for your truck would be the same reboxed NGK Laser Iridium as the original plugs you took out, for a lot less money than buying the NGK-branded ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back