What is a good price on a truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a new F-150, 2018 or 2017 with the 5.0. 2018 gets a little better mpg because it is dual injected.

I looked at a FX4 that is $56k sticker, then $2500 in package savings. Dealer said they can get it to $43,500. This includes $5000 in factory incentives. Is this good?

edit: never mind about the 2017s. They are lifted. Looks like it is just 2018s, as there are no 2017 sports in my area.

Last edited:
Well back in 08 you could buy a 1/2 ton for around 28-32,000 and a 3/4 ton for maybe 6 or 7,000 more just to give you an idea.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I'm looking at a new F-150, 2018 or 2017 with the 5.0. 2018 gets a little better mpg because it is dual injected.

I looked at a FX4 that is $56k sticker, then $2500 in package savings. Dealer said they can get it to $43,500. This includes $5000 in factory incentives. Is this good?

edit: never mind about the 2017s. They are lifted. Looks like it is just 2018s, as there are no 2017 sports in my area.

That is not a bad price.

Last edited:
Also you might want to check TrueCar and Edmunds TMV. If you go by those alone, you should make out OK. (You won't be swindled at least)

But the people who get new vehicles for $15k below dealer cost either had lucky timing or did their homework. If everyone got this type of deal then dealerships wouldn't stay in business.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Also you might want to check TrueCar and Edmunds TMV. If you go by those alone, you should make out OK. (You won't be swindled at least)

But the people who get new vehicles for $15k below dealer cost either had lucky timing or did their homework. If everyone got this type of deal then dealerships wouldn't stay in business.

I don't think there has ever been a vehicle sold $15k below "dealer cost"... I think you mean MSRP.
With all the factory incentives the "dealers cost" can be miles below MSRP or not, depends what's offered that day.
Anyways, you can be sure the dealer still has some profit left on their first offer, probably not another $15k though.

The short answer is without knowing the exact equipment on the truck, nobody can tell you if its a good deal or not.

When I bought my 2016 F150 (Supercrew,2.7L Ecoboost, 4x4, 5.5 foot bed, 302a XLT, Sport Package, FX4 Package, Trailer Tow Package, integrated trailer brake controller, LT tires) truck, the MSRP was just over 50k. I walked out the door at 36k and some change before TTL... So yes, nearly 15k from the MSRP is entirely possible - on a truck equipped right and at the right time...

Incentives are a lot higher on XLT trim trucks, and even higher on the small ecoboost. I also bought near the end of the month (and the dealer did go down at the end of the month) and incentives were not as good the next month...

TrueCar and Edmunds can help to see if you are at least in the right neighborhood. If you've got a no negotiation dealer, check their pricing as another check. Ultimately, I bought my truck off a dealer lot at the price posted online (which no other dealers were touching at the time) with no haggling or other issues. Honestly a very easy purchase after doing my homework.

Same dealer right now has XLT V8 Supercrew trucks with MSRP around 55k listed at unconditional pricing of 37-38k. PM me if interested in which dealer...

(Oh - the 2018 F150 gets better gas mileage with the 5.0 because it gets the 10 speed auto - it had the 6 speed through 2017.)

The best deals around here on a V-8 F150 XLT Crew are around $10,000 off of sticker. I have been looking. Still seems like too much money/not enough discount. However, new cars seem to cost more in my area. A few months ago I was helping a neighbor shop for a new Buick Lacrosse. If he had lived in Ohio (30 miles away) the price would have been $6500 less than the same exact car in PA. He hasn't bought yet. The shameful part of this is this Man has bought 6 new Buicks in the last 25 or so years.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I don't think there has ever been a vehicle sold $15k below "dealer cost"... I think you mean MSRP.
With all the factory incentives the "dealers cost" can be miles below MSRP or not, depends what's offered that day.
Anyways, you can be sure the dealer still has some profit left on their first offer, probably not another $15k though.

I was mostly mentioning the people who seem to think the only way to get a deal is if the dealership practically gives away the car and throws you a celebration when you leave the lot with champagne and fireworks.

I always aim for the dealer to make at least half the holdback but I go in knowing close to what they paid for the vehicle. Fair is fair.

When I was shopping for a truck last year, I searched nationwide. Most forums dedicated to a specific model of truck will know which Dealers give the best deals. I ended up going with one of those high-volume Dealers. They offered a better price than anyone else, and the transaction was hassle free. I flew in, they picked me up at the airport, back to the dealer to finalize the deal, and then the long ride home in my new truck.

Good luck.

This makes perfect sense.
Dealers are often compensated for volume and those dealers that understand this will offer very aggressive pricing.
The internet is your friend.

Seems like a good deal on the surface. Scout www.autotrader.com and enter all the equipment that you desire. Not only is the end of the month a good time to buy, but also the END OF THE QUARTER. Which would be end of March if you can wait that long. Otherwise, long story short, I'd pull the trigger on that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back