Compare ADBVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my co-worker on the media manufacturing line.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Here's my co-worker on the media manufacturing line.
laugh.gif

We are a mess to contend with, huh?
lol.gif

In a dark place we find ourselves, and a little more knowledge lights our way.

I bought a Fram Ultra XG2 just to cut open. The only thing that I question is how well the ADBV seals against the baseplate keeping dirty oil coming in from clean oil going out. There is only around 1/16” of rubber pressing up to the baseplate with no lip or anything separating the clean and dirty oil.

Call me crazy but this works. I read this procedure years ago on this site. Take the correct oil filter nipple and screw it into the new filter and blow into the filter. If no air escapes the filter the ADBV works as intended, if blowby, then ADBV not working. I have ever since tried this on every filter I purchase and the results are surprising. I have had the newer STP fancy oil filters fail every time. Fram ADBV seals almost every time. Only time I had a Fram failure was with several XG7317 vs XG6607. Four XG7317 failed in a row, all 4 XG6607 passed. Do not understand that one though. I even had Nissan OEM filters fail the test. Have not tried Wix/Napa though.

This may be ok if the filter is vertical, but when the filter is horizontal, then failure is not an option, so what would be the purpose of having an ADBV? Maybe the filter companies should verify sealing prior to packaging. Also, all tested were with silicone valves.

Some BITOG guys have been doing the ADBV "blow test" for many years.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back