1989 Chevy C60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say go for it... It's a beast
grin.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: Miller88
You sure it's a 454? Those should have come with a 366 or 427 big block or a v8 diesel or 2, don't think a 350 or 454 was an option.

I'm not sure something like that is much good as a commuter. And the gas job ones were geared so the top speed was 50 or so in high range. Even empty.

Would be good for towing heavy stuff (slowly) I guess.

I'm not sure. The listing says 454....but I'm betting it's actually a 427. The seller claims he hooked his race trailer up to it and was going 65mph.....

I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of re-powering this truck with a 454.

I imagine the thought process is 'some sort of big block = 454' Take it for a test drive and see if it will go 65. Maybe someone swapped in a higher geared rear axle from a diesel or something. But usually these older gas job medium duty trucks were geared so they would be screaming at 55.

Looks cool to me. I like things that are "different". This would fit the bill.

I like this guy.
grin.gif

Have you ever spent any time driving one of these old C60's?

Now if that had a Detroit-then it would be AWESOME! Still doesn't look that bad, there's a whole bunch of those chassis with dump truck bodies on them, some of them have fairly short frames-I bet that's what that was in it's former life. $7K seems like a lot, but there's a fair amount of work there.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Now if that had a Detroit-then it would be AWESOME! Still doesn't look that bad, there's a whole bunch of those chassis with dump truck bodies on them, some of them have fairly short frames-I bet that's what that was in it's former life. $7K seems like a lot, but there's a fair amount of work there.

Would be really cool with a 3116 kitty in it too or an ISB.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I like this guy.
grin.gif

Not yet. I'm about to this weekend.....I know it's going to be rough. I expect that.

I couldn't imagine driving something like that.

The bottom of the bed looks to be at least chest high, unloading things would be a nightmare.
It probably rides like the dump truck it is.
Tires are probably 10+ years old already and probably cost an absolute fortune.
Probably gets 5-6 mpg. Towing a trailer out of town would cost a lot.
Trying to do repairs like brakes etc. would not be fun. Checking the oil by getting out a 6 foot ladder?

I like this guy.
grin.gif

Not yet. I'm about to this weekend.....I know it's going to be rough. I expect that.

Ok. Sounds like you have at least some idea of what you're getting into. Few things...

The truck comes up on a few different sites (Ebay, etc.) and there are only pictures of the exterior. Why? Nothing with the engine, interior, frame/undercarriage, axles. Not to be negative, but there's probably a good reason for this.

Sounds like it has the 366? Displacement of a 350, power of a 305, and weight of a diesel.

Pull a trailer at 65MPH? Sure. With foot on the floor, ear plugs in, while getting 4MPG.

Make sure to take a lot of pictures when you go look at it, and be sure to update the thread here!

Your present 1500 is way more useful than this beast. 7k spent fixing or buying another 1500 is a more practical choice

Ok. Sounds like you have at least some idea of what you're getting into. Few things...

The truck comes up on a few different sites (Ebay, etc.) and there are only pictures of the exterior. Why? Nothing with the engine, interior, frame/undercarriage, axles. Not to be negative, but there's probably a good reason for this.

Sounds like it has the 366? Displacement of a 350, power of a 305, and weight of a diesel.

Pull a trailer at 65MPH? Sure. With foot on the floor, ear plugs in, while getting 4MPG.

Make sure to take a lot of pictures when you go look at it, and be sure to update the thread here!

The seller has sent me pics of the interior. It doesn't look bad. It's not beat up. The seat has a cover on it (bench seat), but that's not a hard fix. The interior isn't filthy, banged up, or dented. The interior door skins actually look good. No head liner (thank god) just painted steel.

I'm going to see if I can find the engine stamp and see if it's a 366 or a 427. Doesn't really matter to me. I just want to drive it around town and see how it rides, handles, etc. I know it will be "rough", but that's OK up to a point.

I have a HIGH tolerance for inconveniences if the "cool factor" is high enough. I think this big truck could persuade me to tolerate quite a bit hassle when I'm sitting 10' off the pavement throwing those gears around. Plus, I would FINALLY have a truck BIG ENOUGH to install real train air horns......LOL!!!

Of course it's NOT PRACTICAL. Jeez, no one would even consider this vehicle if they had "PRACTICAL" in their vocabulary. That's NOT the point.

In reality, even though I'm an educated scientist, I THOROUGHLY enjoy being a HILLBILLY.

The seller has sent me pics of the interior. It doesn't look bad. It's not beat up. The seat has a cover on it (bench seat), but that's not a hard fix. The interior isn't filthy, banged up, or dented. The interior door skins actually look good. No head liner (thank god) just painted steel.

I'm going to see if I can find the engine stamp and see if it's a 366 or a 427. Doesn't really matter to me. I just want to drive it around town and see how it rides, handles, etc. I know it will be "rough", but that's OK up to a point.

I have a HIGH tolerance for inconveniences if the "cool factor" is high enough. I think this big truck could persuade me to tolerate quite a bit hassle when I'm sitting 10' off the pavement throwing those gears around. Plus, I would FINALLY have a truck BIG ENOUGH to install real train air horns......LOL!!!

Of course it's NOT PRACTICAL. Jeez, no one would even consider this vehicle if they had "PRACTICAL" in their vocabulary. That's NOT the point.

In reality, even though I'm an educated scientist, I THOROUGHLY enjoy being a HILLBILLY. [/quote]

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I couldn't imagine driving something like that.

The bottom of the bed looks to be at least chest high, unloading things would be a nightmare.
It probably rides like the dump truck it is.
Tires are probably 10+ years old already and probably cost an absolute fortune.
Probably gets 5-6 mpg. Towing a trailer out of town would cost a lot.
Trying to do repairs like brakes etc. would not be fun. Checking the oil by getting out a 6 foot ladder?

It might be too high. We'll see. I guess I'll just have to pull a trailer if I need to really haul anything.....
I'm sure it rides like a dump truck.
Tires on it will probably cost $2500 for a nice set of Michelins. I'm down with that when the time comes.
I don't care about fuel costs. I drive 10 miles a day. 2 gallons of gas. $5.00 a day is cheap for a big cheesy grin driving home from work.
Repairs will be carried out by professionals. Not me. I'm too busy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
$7K seems like a lot for a 30 year old commercial chassis with a dually bed but if you really like it why not?

BTW it absolutely had to have stacks, that ricer/coal roller f@rt can has to go.

Pics of goat riding in cab with head out window mandatory!

Agree the large exhaust can has to go but I wouldn't put stacks on a gas truck.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
$7k is way over priced

What do you say that?

You are in farm country. There is tons of those old things all over.

Somebody put a 70s-80s body and box on an old grain truck. And want $7k for it. Not to mention your OP said it had a 454 EFI in it. Which if it does its probably more desirable than a 366 or 427 truck engines.

If you just have to have it, and its been built decently, I could see maybe $3k. Otherwise buy an old C60 and build it yourself. For alot cheaper. Everything about that truck is "a dime a dozen".

Im not saying its not cool, Im just saying its to much money.

I've driven C60's, and its not fun. Cool factor? ok I can see it. Fun factor? not a chance

I (obviously) misunderstood why you wanted this truck; my bad. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Im just saying its to much money.

He's cool with dropping $2,500 in Michelin's for it.

That looks like a Chevy Kodiak/GMC TopKick with a long bed from a C/K 1500-2500 and lifted up. Might be fun to impress the neighbors but looks awfully impractical.

Now if you find a way to make a 4X4, this does look like a fun bushwacking/rockcrawler project.

OK everybody has toys. You'll probably have no trouble finding guys to fix it for you. You want hill billy, you got it.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back