Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle takes 9006 low beam bulbs and im getting older and am not happy with the yellowish low lumens that my 9006 bulbs emit. I do a fair amount of night driving and I have to use my high beams almost constantly due to deer and other animals that are constantly crossing plus lately i have to dodge potholes and that is better suited with further vision down the roadway.

I have watched youtube videos and read reviews from the corvette forums (they use the same bulbs).

The corvette guys seem to be more on top of things as they cruise and are driving enthusiasts..and its a mixed bag of changing the bulb to the 9012 Philips HIR2 and using LED bulbs.

I dont want this to be a discussion about me blinding people, because i get blinded constantly by the new SUVs with their LED headlights.. i just want to be able to see and drive safely without constantly using my highbeams for driving lights.

From what I can tell the lifespan of both the 9012 (with trimming) and the LEDs are about the same..and price is about the same as well give or take $5-10 for a set.

This technology wasnt around 15 years ago when my luxury suv was sold...so im wanting to bring my night driving up to current.

i do not think any upgrades will be worth it.

Have you just tried a new set of 9006 lights

If your vehicle really is 15years old, your money is better spent towards just cutting losses and swapping for a vehicle that has at least HID lights.
HID definitely was around 15years ago, my 1998 Lexus had them. If you have a 2003 luxury suv, HID should've def. beem an available option.

Last edited:
Before you install new bulbs, make sure that your headlights are aimed properly. This alone has often gotten me better nighttime driving all by itself.

Then if you're still not happy, move up one grade of light over what you have now. But, if you go to the other lights that claim even brighter lighting, these lights seem to burn out much faster(every 6 months)and cost a lot more.

I always stay with the standard lighting that my vehicles came with & aimed properly(or even tweaked upward a bit). And being in my 60's with eyes aren't what they used to be, I'm happy with that!

Also keep a nice clean windshield inside & out and maybe with some Aquapel or Rain-X on the glass and clean the fog off the headlight housings. Some mild rubbing compound or even toothpaste with work for now. And don't forget to use your favorite wiper blades, all of which help greatly in nighttime foul weather driving.

Last edited:
Clean up any lens oxidation, check the aim and do the 9012 mod. Most aftermarket LED kits are garbage and will not work right in reflector lenses, which is what I presume your 15 yr old car has.

If laws are not an issue then use yellow lights. Much better night visibility because our eyes work better with that spectrum.

"From what I can tell the lifespan of both the 9012 (with trimming) and the LEDs are about the same..and price is about the same as well give or take $5-10 for a set."

First off, I disagree. I installed the 9012's (ensuring to wear gloves and not touch the bulbs) trimmed and installed in my Corolla 2007. They lasted 1 year before a bulb burnt out. They did provide better light output but still not impressive. I was hoping they would last a few years at least. After many negative experiences with those wanabe bright bulbs.. Sylvania Silverstar, Philips, etc etc.. all burnt out within 6-8 months, 1 year for the 9012 install. I am already past 1 year with my LED bulbs and am very satisfied with the light output. Especially at night. The light is a bright white LED lighting that really lights up the road far better than those fading halogen bulbs..

Also, if your headlights are even slightly faded I suggest using the RainX product called Xtreme Clean. Available at your local Walmart for 4.99$. I applied it to one of my headlights using a paper towel and was impressed at how clear it made my bulb with minimal effort and scrubbing. If you give your lenses a good cleaning, polishing and coating and swap to LED headlights, you will be quite happy. I would also recommend if you can install fog lights to go with some that are more yellowish so when it rains out, it will reduce the glare of your whiter headlights.

These are the ones I bought: https://www.amazon.com/YUMSEEN-Headlight...&dpSrc=srch

Same price as Silverstar, better light and Im betting they will last longer. Just my 0.02 cents
smile.gif

PS. Forgot to mention what others have said, make sure you correctly adjust how the bulbs are aimed! Good LED bulbs, Clean and clear headlight housings and properly aimed lights.

Last edited:
I ordered two sets of osram silverstar bulbs for my sonata.

They are aimed at the euro market.

I noticed no difference in light performance, however light color went from off yellow to white.

Would not say its a huge upgrade, or worthwhile over stock.

The 9012 is the best upgrade to a 9006 if you have a full bulb shield since the 9012 doesn't have an opaque painted tip to prevent glare like a 9006.

If your headlight housings are foggy or hazy you won't be able to put all the light on the road anyways and it would be wise to replace the housings with new OEM not aftermarket housings, all the aftermarket stuff is inferior in optics and quality.

I would not install any led bulbs in the headlights, they will not be correct in any way for a driving light.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
"From what I can tell the lifespan of both the 9012 (with trimming) and the LEDs are about the same..and price is about the same as well give or take $5-10 for a set."

First off, I disagree. I installed the 9012's (ensuring to wear gloves and not touch the bulbs) trimmed and installed in my Corolla 2007. They lasted 1 year before a bulb burnt out. They did provide better light output but still not impressive. I was hoping they would last a few years at least. After many negative experiences with those wanabe bright bulbs.. Sylvania Silverstar, Philips, etc etc.. all burnt out within 6-8 months, 1 year for the 9012 install. I am already past 1 year with my LED bulbs and am very satisfied with the light output. Especially at night. The light is a bright white LED lighting that really lights up the road far better than those fading halogen bulbs..

Also, if your headlights are even slightly faded I suggest using the RainX product called Xtreme Clean. Available at your local Walmart for 4.99$. I applied it to one of my headlights using a paper towel and was impressed at how clear it made my bulb with minimal effort and scrubbing. If you give your lenses a good cleaning, polishing and coating and swap to LED headlights, you will be quite happy. I would also recommend if you can install fog lights to go with some that are more yellowish so when it rains out, it will reduce the glare of your whiter headlights.

These are the ones I bought: https://www.amazon.com/YUMSEEN-Headlight...&dpSrc=srch

Same price as Silverstar, better light and Im betting they will last longer. Just my 0.02 cents
smile.gif

PS. Forgot to mention what others have said, make sure you correctly adjust how the bulbs are aimed! Good LED bulbs, Clean and clear headlight housings and properly aimed lights.

Im with ya Rolla07. the ones you linked look exactly like the Lasfits
https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headlight-...+9006&psc=1

I have seen reviews on both and they get good nods.

The corvette guys give these high regards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJJ6C1D?tag=viglink20400-20

I think im going to give your route a shot..

As to yellow fogs..yep i have them I havent updated the bulbs in those yet..mine shut off when i turn my highbeams on..so its kind of a wash right now because im mostly driving with my highbeams on.

Ive adjusted and cleaned my housings..and using OEM style bulbs..just not happy with whats available to upgrade.

This is my current housing style. (not my rig)

maxresdefault.jpg

Would i benefit any from a clear housing?

61WIBKfknKL._SX425_.jpg

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
My vehicle takes 9006 low beam bulbs and im getting older and am not happy with the yellowish low lumens that my 9006 bulbs emit.
If your car is 15yrs old, before spending $$$ on fancy bulbs, I'd pull the lenses off and inspect the reflectors. If they're not shiny, then you need new ones.

After replacing both of my 20yr old HDLT reflector assemblies, it's amazing how bright new bulbs are.

smile.gif

The corvette guys give these high regards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJJ6C1D?tag=viglink20400-20

As to yellow fogs..yep i have them I havent updated the bulbs in those yet..mine shut off when i turn my highbeams on..so its kind of a wash right now because im mostly driving with my highbeams on.

Ive adjusted and cleaned my housings..and using OEM style bulbs..just not happy with whats available to upgrade.

maxresdefault.jpg

61WIBKfknKL._SX425_.jpg

You are correct by saying they look identical to the LASFIT's. Difference is.. Yumseen's were 20$ less! The way I see it.. the worst case scenario with the LED's is you dont like them. I think its worth the risk. I do not know why so many folks on here dislike LED's. Plug and play and they aim the same way as standard bulbs with much better light output and less heat build up in your headlight housing as well.

Personally, if I were you, I would change the bulbs, make sure they are aimed correctly and see if you are satisfied with the result. I wouldnt wander into new clear housings unless your housings have alot of buildup. Like you said they are clean and wont cause any reduction in output. Do I understand you correctly, you plan to install the LED's as your high beams?

smile.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

61WIBKfknKL._SX425_.jpg

You are correct by saying they look identical to the LASFIT's. Difference is.. Yumseen's were 20$ less! The way I see it.. the worst case scenario with the LED's is you dont like them. I think its worth the risk. I do not know why so many folks on here dislike LED's. Plug and play and they aim the same way as standard bulbs with much better light output and less heat build up in your headlight housing as well.

Personally, if I were you, I would change the bulbs, make sure they are aimed correctly and see if you are satisfied with the result. I wouldnt wander into new clear housings unless your housings have alot of buildup. Like you said they are clean and wont cause any reduction in output. Do I understand you correctly, you plan to install the LED's as your high beams?

No..LEDs as low beams..if i get flashed i guess i will high beam them with the yellowish high beams.

I think u are right with the Yumseens being identical and cheaper.

See what you think about these if you have time.. Ebay Link to MostPlus

3900 sold and its the one that the corvette guys are crazy about.

from this forum https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-...-or-ebay-3.html

So because you feel others are blinding you, it is OK for you to blind others?

LED drop ins are junk. You eyes are actually very poor at judging how good lighting is.
People think PnP LED's are brighter, but all they do is give more foreground light (light closer to the car), which is the opposite of what you want. Plus the blinding of other drivers.

There are some nights I want to just crash into those with chitty PNP HID or LED that blind everyone else and gives worse lighting.

If you really want better lighting, look into a HID retrofit (NOT a PnP bulb, but a complete projector housing within you current (or should I say new, clear lens) housings).

No..LEDs as low beams..if i get flashed i guess i will high beam them with the yellowish high beams.

I think u are right with the Yumseens being identical and cheaper.

See what you think about these if you have time.. Ebay Link to MostPlus

3900 sold and its the one that the corvette guys are crazy about.

from this forum https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-...-or-ebay-3.html

Yeah, I kind of wonder if most of these are made by 1 or 2 different manufacturers in China and just have different branding/labelling. Thats what I am assuming. The MOSTPLUS look very similar as well. I think the technology may slightly vary, they seem to have good reviews too, and 3 year warranty doesnt hurt either.. they claim same color temperature, same lumens. They claim 50, 000 hr life vs Yumseen's 30,000 hour life.. (I dont think thats a big deal) That works out to you driving 12 hours per day for 7 years with your lights on. ASIC chip in the MOSTPLUS vs COBB chip in the Yumseens - I have no idea what is better...Yumseen says 72 watts, MOSTPLUS says 60 watts.. again.. I dont know the impact that has, as they both claim up to 7600 lumens per pair (3800 lumens per bulb).

Go for either one, I think they would likely be very difficult to differentiate the two.

Do you have daytime running lights? The one minor thing about these (forgot to mention it before) is that when lights are set to off (ie. Daytime running lights) they have a flicker to them. Nothing that disturbs other drivers or anything, but you will notice it when stopped behind someone as the flicker will be seen on the back of the car in front of you.. to be honest, it doesnt bother me.. and if it does, I just flip my lights to the on setting which stops it from occuring. No flicker when set to ON. I think its because they arent using enough power on daytime running lights and being LED, might not be pulling enough power. Again, to me.. this is not a deal breaker, just something that is good for you to be aware of.

If you end up getting them, let me know how you like them

Last edited:
No DRL..either headlights are off or on. I pulled the trigger on yours.. technology changes every week and i didnt want to spend hours educating myself on chipsets etc. As long as i can see better im game.

FWIW if i have a headlamp go out and i walk into advance its going to cost me $25 for a set of bulbs. Yumseens $34 so its not really a big gamble to try them.

And thanks for the picture comparisons.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If laws are not an issue then use yellow lights. Much better night visibility because our eyes work better with that spectrum.

You my friend are one of the few people that does understand how our eyes work. Yes, we see better with yellow (or yellowish) Lights vice the blueish lights of LED. Also, LED bulbs illuminate in narrow light spectrums. Intensity has nothing to do with how well you can see. There is a reason Fog Lights are yellow. Also why "night driving glasses) are yellow. They filter out the blue spectrum. Eighteen years ago, the European Uniom forced France to drop their requirement to have yellow headlights.I vacation in France (and Italy) for up to 7 weeks) and loved the yellow headlights back then. I think Massachusetts made them
illegal. Don't know about other states. In my former cars that had seperate Fog Lights, I'd go on the internet and purchase yellow Quartz bulbs to replace the stock bulbs. I had vehicles in the past whereas I changed the stock H4 bulbs with yellow H4 bulbs. Never had "police" problems and I could see in all weather conditions.

The popular LED headlights that blind us all has nothing to do with seeing the road better. It had to do with "perception" not vision.

I "HATE" LED headlights and my 2018 has them. My 2015 has HID headlights and although the Color Temperature is better (warmer) I see much better vice the LED's in my 2018. Still would prefer Quartz Halogen bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back