by TheLawnRanger
Today at 11:09 AM
2015 Cruze 1.4T "jerk" at idle in drive
by 2James1
Today at 10:57 AM
ooma?
by urrlord
Today at 10:47 AM
Rotors already shot on our F-150 Ecoboost. 40k.
by Blaze
Today at 10:04 AM
Broken or Slipped Belt
by ET16
Today at 09:59 AM
#15 Texaco
by PJantzen
Today at 08:56 AM
Yellow plus red
by wsteveg
Today at 07:54 AM
High Milage Oils on Low Milage Engines
by PWMDMD
Today at 07:50 AM
Engine oil question
by tung
Today at 07:20 AM
ATF flush or D&F
by ugabulldog
Today at 06:30 AM
Hyundai and Quaker State 5W30 A5
by skyactiv
Today at 05:14 AM
335i BMW Rear Bearing: DIY?
by antonmnster
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
Newest Members
99SK04GTX, jasonjossens4231, Eneos1, tung, spacekiller67
65511 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (87sammy, 911Don, ad244, aquariuscsm, 4WD, Aero540T, 10 invisible), 1661 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65511 Members
67 Forums
287322 Topics
4793327 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4667735 - 02/16/18 10:55 AM Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs
krismoriah72 Offline

Loc: wv
My vehicle takes 9006 low beam bulbs and im getting older and am not happy with the yellowish low lumens that my 9006 bulbs emit. I do a fair amount of night driving and I have to use my high beams almost constantly due to deer and other animals that are constantly crossing plus lately i have to dodge potholes and that is better suited with further vision down the roadway.

I have watched youtube videos and read reviews from the corvette forums (they use the same bulbs).

The corvette guys seem to be more on top of things as they cruise and are driving enthusiasts..and its a mixed bag of changing the bulb to the 9012 Philips HIR2 and using LED bulbs.

I dont want this to be a discussion about me blinding people, because i get blinded constantly by the new SUVs with their LED headlights.. i just want to be able to see and drive safely without constantly using my highbeams for driving lights.

From what I can tell the lifespan of both the 9012 (with trimming) and the LEDs are about the same..and price is about the same as well give or take $5-10 for a set.

This technology wasnt around 15 years ago when my luxury suv was sold...so im wanting to bring my night driving up to current.

#4667747 - 02/16/18 11:15 AM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
raytseng Offline

Loc: CA
i do not think any upgrades will be worth it.

Have you just tried a new set of 9006 lights

If your vehicle really is 15years old, your money is better spent towards just cutting losses and swapping for a vehicle that has at least HID lights.
HID definitely was around 15years ago, my 1998 Lexus had them. If you have a 2003 luxury suv, HID should've def. beem an available option.

Edited by raytseng (02/16/18 11:17 AM)

#4667751 - 02/16/18 11:19 AM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
Char Baby Offline

Loc: ROCHESTER, NY
Before you install new bulbs, make sure that your headlights are aimed properly. This alone has often gotten me better nighttime driving all by itself.

Then if you're still not happy, move up one grade of light over what you have now. But, if you go to the other lights that claim even brighter lighting, these lights seem to burn out much faster(every 6 months)and cost a lot more.

I always stay with the standard lighting that my vehicles came with & aimed properly(or even tweaked upward a bit). And being in my 60's with eyes aren't what they used to be, I'm happy with that!

Also keep a nice clean windshield inside & out and maybe with some Aquapel or Rain-X on the glass and clean the fog off the headlight housings. Some mild rubbing compound or even toothpaste with work for now. And don't forget to use your favorite wiper blades, all of which help greatly in nighttime foul weather driving.

Edited by Char Baby (02/16/18 11:24 AM)
'80 Firebird FORMULA V8/4bbl-purchased "NEW"
'15 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
'15 Honda Civic LX(17K)

#4667753 - 02/16/18 11:20 AM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
mclasser Offline

Loc: The Northeast
Clean up any lens oxidation, check the aim and do the 9012 mod. Most aftermarket LED kits are garbage and will not work right in reflector lenses, which is what I presume your 15 yr old car has.

#4667756 - 02/16/18 11:23 AM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
mattwithcats Offline

Loc: Virginia

#4667775 - 02/16/18 11:45 AM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
Reddy45 Offline

Loc: USA
If laws are not an issue then use yellow lights. Much better night visibility because our eyes work better with that spectrum.

#4667797 - 02/16/18 12:06 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
y_p_w Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
There are slightly (read legally) overdriven 9006 bulbs. I remember I installed a pair of 9006 GE Nighthawks in my parents' Camry. There are also ones from Phillips and Sylvania.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OLM1Q/ref=psdc_15730151_t1_B002UX7INM
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HEIDY

#4667807 - 02/16/18 12:15 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
Rolla07 Online   content

Loc: MTL, CANADA
"From what I can tell the lifespan of both the 9012 (with trimming) and the LEDs are about the same..and price is about the same as well give or take $5-10 for a set."

First off, I disagree. I installed the 9012's (ensuring to wear gloves and not touch the bulbs) trimmed and installed in my Corolla 2007. They lasted 1 year before a bulb burnt out. They did provide better light output but still not impressive. I was hoping they would last a few years at least. After many negative experiences with those wanabe bright bulbs.. Sylvania Silverstar, Philips, etc etc.. all burnt out within 6-8 months, 1 year for the 9012 install. I am already past 1 year with my LED bulbs and am very satisfied with the light output. Especially at night. The light is a bright white LED lighting that really lights up the road far better than those fading halogen bulbs..

Also, if your headlights are even slightly faded I suggest using the RainX product called Xtreme Clean. Available at your local Walmart for 4.99$. I applied it to one of my headlights using a paper towel and was impressed at how clear it made my bulb with minimal effort and scrubbing. If you give your lenses a good cleaning, polishing and coating and swap to LED headlights, you will be quite happy. I would also recommend if you can install fog lights to go with some that are more yellowish so when it rains out, it will reduce the glare of your whiter headlights.

These are the ones I bought: https://www.amazon.com/YUMSEEN-Headlight...&dpSrc=srch

Same price as Silverstar, better light and Im betting they will last longer. Just my 0.02 cents smile

PS. Forgot to mention what others have said, make sure you correctly adjust how the bulbs are aimed! Good LED bulbs, Clean and clear headlight housings and properly aimed lights.

Edited by Rolla07 (02/16/18 12:18 PM)

#4667831 - 02/16/18 12:42 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
JustinH Offline

Loc: Texas
I ordered two sets of osram silverstar bulbs for my sonata.

They are aimed at the euro market.

I noticed no difference in light performance, however light color went from off yellow to white.

Would not say its a huge upgrade, or worthwhile over stock.

#4667833 - 02/16/18 12:43 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
901Memphis Offline

Loc: Northern Kentucky
The 9012 is the best upgrade to a 9006 if you have a full bulb shield since the 9012 doesn't have an opaque painted tip to prevent glare like a 9006.

If your headlight housings are foggy or hazy you won't be able to put all the light on the road anyways and it would be wise to replace the housings with new OEM not aftermarket housings, all the aftermarket stuff is inferior in optics and quality.

I would not install any led bulbs in the headlights, they will not be correct in any way for a driving light.

#4667838 - 02/16/18 12:48 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
Rolla07 Online   content

For comparison sake. 9012's (yellow) vs LEDs (white)

#4667886 - 02/16/18 02:02 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: Rolla07]
krismoriah72 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
"From what I can tell the lifespan of both the 9012 (with trimming) and the LEDs are about the same..and price is about the same as well give or take $5-10 for a set."

First off, I disagree. I installed the 9012's (ensuring to wear gloves and not touch the bulbs) trimmed and installed in my Corolla 2007. They lasted 1 year before a bulb burnt out. They did provide better light output but still not impressive. I was hoping they would last a few years at least. After many negative experiences with those wanabe bright bulbs.. Sylvania Silverstar, Philips, etc etc.. all burnt out within 6-8 months, 1 year for the 9012 install. I am already past 1 year with my LED bulbs and am very satisfied with the light output. Especially at night. The light is a bright white LED lighting that really lights up the road far better than those fading halogen bulbs..

Also, if your headlights are even slightly faded I suggest using the RainX product called Xtreme Clean. Available at your local Walmart for 4.99$. I applied it to one of my headlights using a paper towel and was impressed at how clear it made my bulb with minimal effort and scrubbing. If you give your lenses a good cleaning, polishing and coating and swap to LED headlights, you will be quite happy. I would also recommend if you can install fog lights to go with some that are more yellowish so when it rains out, it will reduce the glare of your whiter headlights.

These are the ones I bought: https://www.amazon.com/YUMSEEN-Headlight...&dpSrc=srch

Same price as Silverstar, better light and Im betting they will last longer. Just my 0.02 cents smile

PS. Forgot to mention what others have said, make sure you correctly adjust how the bulbs are aimed! Good LED bulbs, Clean and clear headlight housings and properly aimed lights.

Im with ya Rolla07. the ones you linked look exactly like the Lasfits
https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headlight-...+9006&psc=1

I have seen reviews on both and they get good nods.

The corvette guys give these high regards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJJ6C1D?tag=viglink20400-20

I think im going to give your route a shot..

As to yellow fogs..yep i have them I havent updated the bulbs in those yet..mine shut off when i turn my highbeams on..so its kind of a wash right now because im mostly driving with my highbeams on.

Ive adjusted and cleaned my housings..and using OEM style bulbs..just not happy with whats available to upgrade.

This is my current housing style. (not my rig)

Would i benefit any from a clear housing?

#4667910 - 02/16/18 02:32 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
sleddriver Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
My vehicle takes 9006 low beam bulbs and im getting older and am not happy with the yellowish low lumens that my 9006 bulbs emit.
If your car is 15yrs old, before spending $$$ on fancy bulbs, I'd pull the lenses off and inspect the reflectors. If they're not shiny, then you need new ones.

After replacing both of my 20yr old HDLT reflector assemblies, it's amazing how bright new bulbs are.

#4667930 - 02/16/18 02:51 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: krismoriah72]
Rolla07 Online   content

The corvette guys give these high regards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJJ6C1D?tag=viglink20400-20

As to yellow fogs..yep i have them I havent updated the bulbs in those yet..mine shut off when i turn my highbeams on..so its kind of a wash right now because im mostly driving with my highbeams on.

Ive adjusted and cleaned my housings..and using OEM style bulbs..just not happy with whats available to upgrade.

You are correct by saying they look identical to the LASFIT's. Difference is.. Yumseen's were 20$ less! The way I see it.. the worst case scenario with the LED's is you dont like them. I think its worth the risk. I do not know why so many folks on here dislike LED's. Plug and play and they aim the same way as standard bulbs with much better light output and less heat build up in your headlight housing as well.

Personally, if I were you, I would change the bulbs, make sure they are aimed correctly and see if you are satisfied with the result. I wouldnt wander into new clear housings unless your housings have alot of buildup. Like you said they are clean and wont cause any reduction in output. Do I understand you correctly, you plan to install the LED's as your high beams?

#4667953 - 02/16/18 03:10 PM Re: Upgrading 15 year old headlight bulbs [Re: Rolla07]
krismoriah72 Offline

You are correct by saying they look identical to the LASFIT's. Difference is.. Yumseen's were 20$ less! The way I see it.. the worst case scenario with the LED's is you dont like them. I think its worth the risk. I do not know why so many folks on here dislike LED's. Plug and play and they aim the same way as standard bulbs with much better light output and less heat build up in your headlight housing as well.

Personally, if I were you, I would change the bulbs, make sure they are aimed correctly and see if you are satisfied with the result. I wouldnt wander into new clear housings unless your housings have alot of buildup. Like you said they are clean and wont cause any reduction in output. Do I understand you correctly, you plan to install the LED's as your high beams?

No..LEDs as low beams..if i get flashed i guess i will high beam them with the yellowish high beams.

I think u are right with the Yumseens being identical and cheaper.

See what you think about these if you have time.. Ebay Link to MostPlus

3900 sold and its the one that the corvette guys are crazy about.

from this forum https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-...-or-ebay-3.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >