odd with ultr, fram does not have the whole market

Status
Not open for further replies.
they seem to have the midrange market in hand, and with the introduction of the ultra 20 k miles at 99% amd $8.87 at waldo mart why would anyone not use the Ultra. you could cut the use time to 12000 or 15000 miles and get rid of messy flter changes- thats what I have done- 4000 to 5000 miles x 3 on dino oil and one fram ultra.

so many posts on here are about Ag suppy at $3.13 vs 4.64 on a Bavarian unknown vs a jobber special at $$3.67.
Why bother? wonder if Fram filter sales are up?

Lack of of education about using an oil filter for multiple OCI.

Unless governments impose taxes to make people use filters for multiple OCI or manufacturers like Honda make it mandatory, things will not change.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
they seem to have the midrange market in hand, and with the introduction of the ultra 20 k miles at 99% amd $8.87 at waldo mart why would anyone not use the Ultra. you could cut the use time to 12000 or 15000 miles and get rid of messy flter changes- thats what I have done- 4000 to 5000 miles x 3 on dino oil and one fram ultra.

so many posts on here are about Ag suppy at $3.13 vs 4.64 on a Bavarian unknown vs a jobber special at $$3.67.

Well we don't know your vehicle, operational pattern, etc.

But I suspect you can probably take your OCI out with the FCI, and run 12-15k miles on dino and Ultra.
I mean, if you see the value in properly utilizing the FCI extension, then why not the OCI extension?

Do some UOAs and find out!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: edwardh1

Well we don't know your vehicle, operational pattern, etc.

But I suspect you can probably take your OCI out with the FCI, and run 12-15k miles on dino and Ultra.
I mean, if you see the value in properly utilizing the FCI extension, then why not the OCI extension?

Do some UOAs and find out!

youre probably right. we have had in family great luck with 5k dino changes, cars (Japanese) go 140k then give to kids they drive past 200k then sell to someone glad to buy them

Originally Posted By: JC1
Lack of of education about using an oil filter for multiple OCI.

Unless governments impose taxes to make people use filters for multiple OCI or manufacturers like Honda make it mandatory, things will not change.

The large Mann on my VW hold almost a qt of oil, that's almost 20% why would I want to leave 20% dirty oil in my engine? Mandatory or not, oil goes the filter is going with it. Don't you think those A holes in DC have anything better to do than pass taxes on oil filters?

Fresh oil and fresh filter, every time
smile.gif
Just how I role. Napa proselect or OEM. Proselects cost around 3$, so a 5k mile oil change done 5 times is still less than cost of a Fram Ultra. My last oil analysis with a proselect was flawless.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
smile.gif
Just how I role. Napa proselect or OEM. Proselects cost around 3$, so a 5k mile oil change done 5 times is still less than cost of a Fram Ultra. My last oil analysis with a proselect was flawless.

My local NAPA charges $4.29 for a proselect. I suspect on a healthy engine which oil filter doesn't matter too much, but I'm running FU's for 24-30k km for two OCI's on our beaters, so the filter costs end up the same(although C-tire is creeping up the price). We do 95% hwy so I think I'm good.

Last edited:
Ultra is not at 20k, it's up to 20K. Not even considering all sizes have different holding capacities anyway. Not for me, I want a clean filter to have the least restriction. Honda is only one of many who say a filter can be used twice. My 98 Chrysler said it too. Wait, it says that's not for severe service, which means as little as driving in traffic. Someone here had a 49 Ford manual that said filter can be used twice too. Not a new idea.
05.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
smile.gif

My local NAPA charges $4.29 for a proselect. I suspect on a healthy engine which oil filter doesn't matter too much, but I'm running FU's for 24-30k km for two OCI's on our beaters, so the filter costs end up the same(although C-tire is creeping up the price). We do 95% hwy so I think I'm good.

I get XG10575 for $5.66 and free shipping

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Ultra is not at 20k, it's up to 20K. Not even considering all sizes have different holding capacities anyway. Not for me, I want a clean filter to have the least restriction. Honda is only one of many who say a filter can be used twice. My 98 Chrysler said it too. Wait, it says that's not for severe service, which means as little as driving in traffic. Someone here had a 49 Ford manual that said filter can be used twice too. Not a new idea.
05.gif

It's your money. I've ran an Ultra 20K on a clean engine (2 10K OCIs of M1 5W30 EP), the filter looked like it could have gone ANOTHER 20K! As somebody said above, eBay has 6 packs of Ultra for around $30 with free shipping, I've bought several.

Oil filters are so small on many new vehicles..there is not enough dirty oil left in them to make any difference whether you run them two oil changes especially the ones that are top mounted.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
smile.gif

Amazon? Amazon.ca is bit of a joke so $14.48 is the cheapest for the Focus and I could pay $40+ if i wanted too...
crazy.gif

Canadian tire on sale is like $11 so I wait for that and I only need 1 filter per year so there's no point in buying in bulk.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
smile.gif

Amazon? Amazon.ca is bit of a joke so $14.48 is the cheapest for the Focus and I could pay $40+ if i wanted too...
crazy.gif

Canadian tire on sale is like $11 so I wait for that and I only need 1 filter per year so there's no point in buying in bulk.

I get them on eBay … but US site …
When I retire … might start an M1/PUP/Fram Ultra smuggling operation
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
05.gif

It's your money. I've ran an Ultra 20K on a clean engine (2 10K OCIs of M1 5W30 EP), the filter looked like it could have gone ANOTHER 20K! As somebody said above, eBay has 6 packs of Ultra for around $30 with free shipping, I've bought several.

I am curious how you can conclude that? Is it because it looks clean or is it based on the condition it is in? Personally, if it still looks clean, I'd question whether it is filtering good or not? Like someone once told me regarding the K&N filter they purchased. He said after numerous races/runs with it on his ATV, it still looked clean. I thanked him for proving my point that those were terrible filters.

I am not knocking your FU, I currently have one on my wife's car and another one will be going on the next OC. I am just curious, with those that use the same filter for 2 or multiple Oc's, how they know the filter is still good and still doing it's job, basing that by something other than what is written on the box?
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv

I am curious how you can conclude that? Is it because it looks clean or is it based on the condition it is in?

It's pretty hard to do a visual on a full synthetic media filter because the media is "depth filtering". Lots of the debris it has caught is below the surface of the media, especially on a 2-layer design like the Ultra.

Only half way scientific way to determine how much crud it caught would be to fill it full of oil when new and accurately weight it, then do the same thing after an OCI to see the change in weight.

05.gif

In my case it isn't enough money to buy anything, maybe a loaf of bread or something at the grocery store once a year. In your case if the filter stays so fresh at 20k, there probably is no need to ever change the oil filter? I waste some significant money buying filters I won't use. I want to stop doing that. I save a lot on gas. Tires are expensive.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... Only half way scientific way to determine how much crud it caught would be to fill it full of oil when new and accurately weight it, then do the same thing after an OCI to see the change in weight.
That won't work unless you also flush out (with volatile solvents?) all the absorbed oil, which will likely far outweigh the "crud" from a healthy engine, even if you've tried for weeks to soak it out with paper towels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back