John Deere new 30 second oil change system -mowers

Very Interesting for the 100 series. Lets Discuss. 30 second oil change with a synthetic filter and case that holds 1/3 of the oil. Change every 50 hours and it changes 1/3 (.8qts) of the oil. There is a really good video on facebook from the national farm machinery show from this week about it.

I'd feel comfortable to use the system and not have to hassle with the mess.

Here's their info:

John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system

The John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system makes changing the engine oil easy, quick, and clean. Changing the oil is as easy as twisting on a new oil-filled filter. Oil does not need to be drained from the engine.

The John Deere Easy Change filter is an additional engine oil reservoir. Changing the filter removes the captured contaminants and replaces about 0.8 qt (0.76 L) of the engine oil.

Compared to the 100 Series traditional oil filter, the Easy Change oil system uses a synthetic filter media material, has more filtering capacity, and has more oil flow capacity, — and the engine system has 40 percent more oil volume.

Everyone who uses the John Deere Easy Change system saves time and avoids the mess of a traditional oil change. In the past, many 100 Series Lawn Tractor owners rarely or never got around to changing their engine oil. With John Deere Easy Change, even owners who previously would not consider changing the oil themselves can easily do it now. The Easy Change 30-second oil change system is a no-mess, no-fuss solution the competition cannot match.

Installation instructions are in the Operator’s Manual and in the John Deere Easy Change service part box.

Please recycle. Many local government recycling programs, authorized retailers, auto-service centers, and auto-parts stores will puncture and recycle used oil filters and oil.

JD calls it a oil change, but in reality, it is not a oil change, just a oil replenishment, like topping up when the oil is low.
Owners that rarely or never got around to changing their engine oil, or owners who previously would not consider changing the oil themselves won't bother with this either. Just another scam for the lazy man.

I'm certain there will be a cost associated with this system. More so than with a regular oil & filter change every 100 hours. What's price of one of those replacement canister/filters?

One place lists the price as $39.99......

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Easy-Change-30-second-Oil-Change-System-AUC12916.html
https://www.lowes.com/pd/John-Deere-Easy-Change-30-Second-Oil-Change-System/1000330777
https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Deere-3...12916/303336752

$49.99 on Amazon-
https://smile.amazon.com/John-Deere-Chan...eere+oil+change

easy and quick is expensive
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: shanneba
One place lists the price as $39.99......

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Easy-Change-30-second-Oil-Change-System-AUC12916.html
https://www.lowes.com/pd/John-Deere-Easy-Change-30-Second-Oil-Change-System/1000330777
https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Deere-3...12916/303336752

$49.99 on Amazon-
https://smile.amazon.com/John-Deere-Chan...eere+oil+change

easy and quick is expensive
smile.gif

Agreed. Time is money. 30 seconds or 15-30 minutes, plus clean up. All depends on the person and their priorities.

Interesting. Even with the value of your time, that's an unbelievably horrible deal. If it changed out all the oil that'd be one thing but it's just a third! I'd avoid it if I could (buy another model tractor). That oil is $50-60 a quart (.8*40 and .8*50.) I'm thinking at the best it's synthetic 10w30, good chance it's just dino. (The people that don't want to make a mess doing an oil change are likely just going to do nothing regardless, and still get good life out of the tractor. And those that want to do a real oil change now can't. Not to mention a $20 oil change, that gets all the oil out, vs. a $40-50 "oil replenishment" that leaves 2/3 of the oil in the engine.) I'd pass...

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Interesting. Even with the value of your time, that's an unbelievably horrible deal. If it changed out all the oil that'd be one thing but it's just a third! I'd avoid it if I could (buy another model tractor). That oil is $50-60 a quart (.8*40 and .8*50.) I'm thinking at the best it's synthetic 10w30, good chance it's just dino. (The people that don't want to make a mess doing an oil change are likely just going to do nothing regardless, and still get good life out of the tractor. And those that want to do a real oil change now can't. Not to mention a $20 oil change, that gets all the oil out, vs. a $40-50 "oil replenishment" that leaves 2/3 of the oil in the engine.) I'd pass...

You can still do a full oil change if you want with this system.

Very good deal for who ever sells the expensive filter . Otherwise , not so much .

Spend your time & money on a " real " oil / filter change of you will be buying another mower in the future .

You pay now or you pay latter .

Another scheme to increase profits for the manufacturer .

What a scam.
I can do a full change on my X series tractor in less than 10 minutes very easily, and for a fraction of the cost.
I'm also sure that the longevity of my motor will be enhanced through proper maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
What a scam.
I can do a full change on my X series tractor in less than 10 minutes very easily, and for a fraction of the cost.
I'm also sure that the longevity of my motor will be enhanced through proper maintenance.

Hmm is oil change time REALLY that big of an issue for John Deere? You are only doing this ONCE a YEAR.

I waste more time watching Commercials during March Madness than this new "innovation"

Quote:
Very good deal for who ever sells the expensive filter . Otherwise , not so much .

What are the micron ratings of these filters? better be 99% at 20 micron

Last edited:
Sounds like another way for John Deere to encourage you to only buy their parts. I usually like John Deere equipment but this seems like a silly idea.

This is just a ploy by Deere to pad their pockets and increase profits. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fram filter is $3.50 and two quarts of 15W40 is $5. So $8.50 for a FULL oil change, or $40 for a partial oil refresh? Choice seems easy to me.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
This is just a ploy by Deere to pad their pockets and increase profits. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fram filter is $3.50 and two quarts of 15W40 is $5. So $8.50 for a FULL oil change, or $40 for a partial oil refresh? Choice seems easy to me.

Wait, I thought Deere would drive out and pick up your mower for service? Is that additional fee or part of the price for them to bring it in to do it in 30 seconds? I thought this was part of the "service" if you bought from Dealer vs a BBS like Lowes????

Last edited:
From what I've read, these machines are anything but JD.

The only thing JD about them is the name and paint. I also read the Kioti builds a lot of there small farm tractors. Anyone thinking they're getting JD quality with these small lawn tractors are deluding themselves. Chances are they can buy the same machine with a different brand name for considerably less money.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
From what I've read, these machines are anything but JD.

The only thing JD about them is the name and paint. I also read the Kioti builds a lot of there small farm tractors. Anyone thinking they're getting JD quality with these small lawn tractors are deluding themselves. Chances are they can buy the same machine with a different brand name for considerably less money.

You would be wrong. All the riding mowers and small tractors are built by deere. They have partnerships with various companies for some things but most of the machines arebuilt and assembled by deere.

I wounder if this is the same as Briggs and strattons system? Looking at the video it looks like a Briggs engine. I know Briggs has something similar on their larger engines.

Last edited:
The 100 series JDs are assembled in Tennessee.

The engines are Briggs and Stratton and it's likely
the 'quicky' oil change system is a joint development
between the two.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The 100 series JDs are assembled in Tennessee.

The engines are Briggs and Stratton and it's likely
the 'quicky' oil change system is a joint development
between the two.

My 2¢

Yup, exactly.
thumbsup2.gif

Same with the compact tractors. Made by John Deere, but have Yanmar diesel engines.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Wait, I thought Deere would drive out and pick up your mower for service? Is that additional fee or part of the price for them to bring it in to do it in 30 seconds? I thought this was part of the "service" if you bought from Dealer vs a BBS like Lowes????

Additional fee to pickup, at least around here. A dealer charged my neighbor $100 for pickup and delivery of his machine. Now he just drives it down the street to my house when he needs an oil change.

Back