People Cheap with Maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys know any people like I do? It really frustrates me. There are people that have a cheap complex, to the point it is annoying to neighbors. You know the types. Don’t want to eat out at anything fancier than KFC. Complain about parking fees. Complain about National park fee tickets. This behavior translates into car ownership habits as well. I am all for financial responsibility, but when it comes to owning a 20 year old rust bucket that's leaking fluids, awfully worn suspension, I just think these types are possibly endangering the public. I have heard stories of someone snapping an axle in half due to never replacing the cv joint, clutch failure due to never replacing clutch fluid, engine failure on the freeway. Does this irritate you guys as much as me? There comes a point when I think people should just replace old cars, just out of consideration of involving someone else in in their catastrophic breakdowns.

Last edited:
Cheap no that's what PC call the extended Maintenance policy. Standby and listen to the logic behind to program.
35.gif

Last edited:
I don't know many people who are cheap in that sense, but I do know people who are really just ignorant about maintenance. Some of them are the opposite of cheap interestingly enough, and spend thousands on stuff they shouldn't need to.

Originally Posted By: Kurtatron
There comes a point when I think people should just replace old cars, just out of consideration of involving someone else in in their catastrophic breakdowns.

Agree. It's just hard to identify that point sometimes.
smile.gif

I can understand people not wanting to dump money into an old beater car. Instead of fixing it, they could be putting that money toward a new car, but I can also understand people not wanting to have a car payment for the next X years.

But if the vehicle is dangerous to drive, then money does need to be spent one way or another.

Yes, it is annoying. If the local police, state, provincial government doesn't act to remove cars that endanger the owners or other people, then the problem will continue.

Politicians are afraid to enforce minimum standards for vehicle safety because it comes across as a tax against the poor. My view is that - sometimes - the poor need to be protected from themselves. Now I zip up my flame suit :eek:)

Do you guys know any people like I do? It really frustrates me. There are people that have a cheap complex, to the point it is annoying to neighbors. You know the types. Don’t want to eat out at anything fancier than KFC.

You get frustrated because your neighbors don't want to eat out at anything fancier than KFC?

Lots of things in life to get frustrated at, this does not seem to me to be one to worry about.

Last edited:
I know people that make being cheap an art form and have seen all kinds of excuses for lousy maintenance.

Had an employee with a honda had a timing belt snap at 150K - took out the engine.
I reminded him on his particular car the manual called for it at 60K and he went nearly 3X the time.
The sales guy told him outside of oil changes "hondas never need maintenance".

We call it an "ID10T" error.

It isnt just cars - I had one guy that waited to come into the office everyday to take a dump because he didn't want to buy toilet paper.

UD

Do you guys know any people like I do? It really frustrates me. There are people that have a cheap complex, to the point it is annoying to neighbors. You know the types. Don’t want to eat out at anything fancier than KFC. Complain about parking fees. Complain about National park fee tickets. This behavior translates into car ownership habits as well. I am all for financial responsibility, but when it comes to owning a 20 year old rust bucket that's leaking fluids, awfully worn suspension, I just think these types are possibly endangering the public. I have heard stories of someone snapping an axle in half due to never replacing the cv joint, clutch failure due to never replacing clutch fluid, engine failure on the freeway. Does this irritate you guys as much as me? There comes a point when I think people should just replace old cars, just out of consideration of involving someone else in in their catastrophic breakdowns.

Mind your own business and you will have fewer reasons to be frustrated.

Sounds like you and your other " concerned " neighbors need to start a fund raising effort to help said person out of their situation .

Remember , give until it hurts , and then give some more . Remember , it is for the children .

Maybe you mis-interpreted it . Perhaps the thought so much of his employer he wanted to share some of him self ?

Do you guys know any people like I do? It really frustrates me. There are people that have a cheap complex, to the point it is annoying to neighbors.
You know the types. Don’t want to eat out at anything fancier than KFC. Complain about parking fees. Complain about National park fee tickets. This behavior translates into car ownership habits as well. I am all for financial responsibility, but when it comes to owning a 20 year old rust bucket that's leaking fluids, awfully worn suspension, I just think these types are possibly endangering the public. I have heard stories of someone snapping an axle in half due to never replacing the cv joint, clutch failure due to never replacing clutch fluid, engine failure on the freeway. Does this irritate you guys as much as me? There comes a point when I think people should just replace old cars, just out of consideration of involving someone else in in their catastrophic breakdowns.

Kinda like guys that drive a radius of 50 miles to buy oil at .50 cents a quart.......that's pretty "cheap" as well.

Last edited:
Do you guys actually see any suspension failures on your daily travels? I'm surprised there isn't more here as we have no inspections after purchasing.
Its been maybe a year since I've seen a suspension failure on the side of the road, and that was an old GM pickup with some larger than stock tires and something went with the IFS.

Texas has annual car inspections which makes cars there meet some semblance of minimum standard. Fail inspection, no license renewal till you pass. May be a burden on the poor but in cities like Houston operational brakes and steering are a must.

Does loading up with sugar and creamer packets from the local diner qualify as cheap?
Or is it theft?
I'll return in awhile, I need to go add some "free" sugar and creamer to my coffee.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Texas has annual car inspections which makes cars there meet some semblance of minimum standard. Fail inspection, no license renewal till you pass. May be a burden on the poor but in cities like Houston operational brakes and steering are a must.

I think the problem here is there are no inspection requirements. So the kind of cars I see out here are ridiculous. People should have the right to drive old cars, as long as they meet safety inspections. That is my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back