New winter tires from Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Available later this year:

The "Discoverer True North" is a studless winter with asymmetric tread design.

The "Evolution Winter" is a studdable winter with directional tread design.

Here is a PDF file from TireReview with more in depth info:
http://hosting-source.bm23.com/15258/pub..._content=Winter

I have never owned Cooper winter tires, but they are popular up here in north Idaho. In all the winter tire tests I have read over the last 5 years, the Coopers usually play second fiddle to the best winter tires from Michelin, Nokian, Bridgestone, and Continental.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
I usually roll my eyes at asymmetrical / directional tread patterns.

Why?

My winter tires (if my memory works):
TS810 asymmetric
X-ICE Xi2 directional
X-ICE Xi3 directional
Dunlop 3D directional
Dunlop 4D directional

Krzys

Last edited:
Directional studless is the way to go-because they can handle snow, ice, AND do a good job in rain. All of which we have had an overdose this year in the Ohio Valley.

It's about time they had more modern snow tires. The Discoverer M+S have been around forever.

I might look at the Evolution ones studded for next year. I definitely have to get rid of the Hankooks before next winter.

The true north look like a performance tweaked/oriented winter tire
Not for crazy deep snow, more for ice and hardpack.. smaller tread voids, tons of siping.

and the Evolution looks like full on severe service winter tire esp. if studded.
Big tread gaps, more noise, better deep snow traction, likely better ice traction if studded and near freezing temps.(20-32f)

The older discoverer M+S was very outdated.. if adequate.

like recycling snow rated tyres should be mandatory in the snow belt, instead many accidents happen with all season but winter tyres as well as well worn tyres many run!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back