LOUD Phone Ringer Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 95 year old, almost deaf, mother in law who, on occasion, decides she wants to sleep all day, and I mean ALL day and the next night. Otherwise, she is fine. We call her every day to check on her. When we can't get her to answer the phone, we have to make a 100 mile round trip to check on her. Her bedroom does not have a phone jack. I put a cordless phone on her night stand (three feet from her head), but it does not wake her when she decides to sleep in. I need something I can put in her bedroom that will make a VERY LOUD noise when her phone rings. Any suggestions? Thanks.

There are a few cordless options on this list:
https://www.hearingdirect.com/blog/telephones-with-loud-ringers.html

But I'm curious, how long can the cordless headset stay off the base before its battery goes dead? Does she get up at least every other day and put it back on the base to recharge it? If so, what if she forgets and leaves it on the base? So the ringer would have to be loud enough to be heard from the other room.

Can't you run a long phone cable to her room in a way that she does not trip over it?

Looks like Amazon has a bunch of gadgets that just plug into the phone line and both rings loud and flashes a light. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Looks like Amazon has a bunch of gadgets that just plug into the phone line and both rings loud and flashes a light. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

There is no phone jack in bedroom. so how does that work?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

There is no phone jack in bedroom. so how does that work?

Extension cable? Run a new phone line? Minor issue in the grand scheme of things, no?

Why is she still living by herself? My dad passed at 96. The last 2 years he increasingly needed attention. I lived with him for 5 months after he fell in the shower, but I couldn't stay forever. I hope, when it's my turn, I won't be alone. I'm 80, that time is not that far off.

I'm pretty sure there is such a thing as a bed shaker that is either tied to a phone or a doorbell.

A hotel once put me in the accessible suite and it had all sorts of things to notify deaf people.

My mom was living alone since 2002 when my Father died. 96 years old and She did not want to go to nursing Home. ( $12,000/Month BTW -Yes! twelve thousand!) Had HHA come in now and then but she thought they were stealing stuff.

Anyway had to get loud ringer and this one worked excellent. Just keep the pitch warble at low frequency.
75180000.jpg

You will NOT be disappointed with this unit.

Last edited:
Hopefully she has Lifeline or a similar service? Lots of choices for ringers including the old fashioned mechanics garage bell. A visual alert would be recommended as well.

No neighbors that could do a visual check and stop by daily?

I like the idea of a neighbour checking. I could no longer do the 70 miles one way when my Stepfather lived alone. A neighbour checked him. I had to get a person that would check him and take him to store or doctor. Had Lifeline also. Lifeline is a good idea in case she has a medical problem that does not allow her to get to the phone.

This sounds a little creepy, but could you set up a security system to check on her?

Thank you for your replies. You showed me a couple of things I was not aware of. To answer just a few of your concerns:

She has a life alert.
Neighbors are not really an option in her case.
She wants to live alone, and does fine except for this issue.

I sincerely thank you for your concerns. As those of you know, that have been through this, it is a difficult situation, and you hardly ever know if you are doing exactly the right thing. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back