Do you draft semis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you draft semis?
How close?
Mpg savings you get?

https://www.treehugger.com/cars/drafting-behind-trucks-does-it-work.html

So I tried it a little today on the interstate. 20 mph head wind.
My instantaneous mileage readout showed an increase from 18 mpg to about 23 mpg at 70 mph.
2011 equinox.
Not sure how close I was but certainly further than 100 feet.

Semi drivers? Care to opine?
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Do you draft semis?
How close?
Mpg savings you get?

https://www.treehugger.com/cars/drafting-behind-trucks-does-it-work.html

So I tried it a little tosay on the interstate. 20 mph head wind.
My instantaneous mileage readout showed an increase from 18 mpg to about 23 mpg at 70 mph.
2011 equinox.
Not sure how close I was but certainly further than 100 feet.

Semi drivers? Care to opine?
whistle.gif

Nope … but many moons ago my brother had a VW van while attending the University of Texas … by the time it got a bit hilly heading for Austin … you had to draft a truck to do 60 mph
wink.gif

I don't have a digital read out of MPG on my truck but when towing big wind drag items like hay I can tell a huge difference. Usually my F-150 doesn't have the power to tow any high profile items like hay at 60 mph in overdrive.
When an 18 wheeler passes me, usually my truck can gain 5 mph in OD, so I know it helps with wind load a lot, but usually the eddies coming from the back the truck makes the truck feels unstable so I usually don't follow close enough to gain any real benefit.

It only benefited me twice:
1. down pouring rain, low visibility, really late at night. I got behind him (free carwash), but positioned myself not to blind him. He had a higher seating position, so better visibility than tired me.
2. a porkie carrier while driving trough Smokies and ATL. He passed everybody at 70+, no matter traffic or going up the mountain. or curves.
Of course in the morning guess who had a brand new crack growing in the front windshield?

So for the rest I give them the respect especially since they could kick pebbles on the road pretty quick and hard.
Also they could be tired from driving for who knows how long.
But as a group, tire truck/semi drivers beat 4-wheelers for consistency and courtesy in traffic.

Be safe out there.

I think I will continue to try this... At a safe distance. Considering my Equinox is not the most aerodynamic, the effect will be much greater.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Originally Posted By: onemig
I don't to avoid rock chips.

Good point

At only 7K on SUV … already blessed by a gravel hauler … booked for a resin job next week …

I keep a good distance from vehicles ahead of me not only for safety, but rock chips.

There is a clear and definite difference in the amount of rock chips in the vehicles I drive, compared to the vehicles my wife drives. She constantly tailgates and her vehicle looks like someone sandblasted the front.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon

I keep a good distance from vehicles ahead of me not only for safety, but rock chips.

There is a clear and definite difference in the amount of rock chips in the vehicles I drive, compared to the vehicles my wife drives. She constantly tailgates and her vehicle looks like someone sandblasted the front.

I don't tailgate....I pass em!
grin.gif

If you like living, stay away from trucks, and pass them quickly as possible. The trailer tires blow up lots. I know because I blew up my fair share of them when I was driving. Blew one tractor drive tire, and not one steer tire. Recaps are used on the trailer.

Was almost out of gas and out of money returning to base from leave riding my motorcycle, latched on to a rig and got over 70MPG which got me out of trouble with my uncle Sam. The driver knew I was there and kept me out of trouble, but I don't recommend it for fun.

Smoky

Most people who draft stop that nonsense when the semi runs over something like an animal or construction debris and that item is spit out from underneath the trailer, squarely into your windshield (or forehead).

SF

Originally Posted By: BigD1
If you like living, stay away from trucks, and pass them quickly as possible. The trailer tires blow up lots. I know because I blew up my fair share of them when I was driving. Blew one tractor drive tire, and not one steer tire. Recaps are used on the trailer tires.

Saw one just starting to unravel a week ago … punched it and got around him and then LOL when Mr Tail Gates ate “gator” …

I just saw that this week.. heard loud whomp whomp noise.. Looked right and semi trailer tire 10ft from me was falling apart. Lost the big road gator about 30s later.. I was well ahead by then.

A couple months ago on rt 80 towards I79 f350 pulling a heavily loaded double axle(10k?) was losing a trailer tire chunks at a time. It shredded into little pieces failed (exploded) then the second tire went too when he was coasting it to the shoulder
Guy was a pro.. getting it off the road.
I was almost rear-ended while avoiding the people avoiding the flying rubber.

I'll follow them about 3 truck lengths back, if the road is clean. That seems to give a mileage boost without much risk.
Trucks here go the same speed I want to go so I often end up behind one. I won't sit in a group of trucks though, or beside one for longer than necessary.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Most people who draft stop that nonsense when the semi runs over something like an animal or construction debris and that item is spit out from underneath the trailer, squarely into your windshield (or forehead).

SF
Yes-just saw this recently on I-74 west of Cincinnati-idiot had been tailgating me for miles, I finally got a chance to get over and let him pass, he ran over a semi tractor DRIVESHAFT that a truck had lost a couple spots in front of him! Bet he won't be doing that in his NEXT ricer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back