OEM Plugs for Lexus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lexus below is at 90k and never had plugs, rides ok but I can tell it needs them. Lexus said it can go till 120K but the manual says 60k. It is a DI engine.

The OEM plug(FK20HBR11) is expensive no matter where you buy it. The best price for a set of six out the door with discounts is about $83. Dealer quoted $35+tx(EACH!) but I think the retail is $18.

Denso also makes a compatible TT Iridium plug. It is $32 out the door for a set of 6 w/discounts. This has a .4 electrode vs the .6 or so in the OEM. I read in some cases they last till 100K but I also read 30K. I have them in my Explorer and it really cleaned up the idle, it idles better than the Lexus now.

Denso plugs are heavily counterfeited and there are many on ebay that are priced too good be true (especially the OEM, and they are in Toyota boxes).

I also see copper plugs for a buck a piece, I'm tempted, can change them out at 20-30K.

I don't know if DI needs that finewire electrode though. Seems those TT plugs create a very precise spark, the thinner the better!

Driving a Lexus and cheaping out on plugs? Spend the money and you wont need to worry for 60k plus miles. You are overthinking it
smile.gif

OE plugs only.

I'm more inclined to mess around on older cars, but not something so new and with DI. If an aftermarket fine wire iridium plug was available with the correct gap I might give it a try, but it doesn't appear that there is.

I've used Denso, NGK, and even the new Bosch in Toyota/Lexus with no issues. Use which ever is cheaper, your car will not know or care.

Sometimes you are okay with non oem and sometimes you are not.
How hard is it to get to the plugs?
If the the back 3 require removing the intake, then you may want to replace the coils on plugs too.
For that matter, be prepared to clean intake valves while the cover is off.
Just a thought.

Rockauto has the OEMs for $67 shipped with discounts, problem solved there. The OEMs are a "Long Life Series" from Denso. The TTs are thinner.

I guess Rockauto wouldn't be a place for counterfeits.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Sometimes you are okay with non oem and sometimes you are not.
How hard is it to get to the plugs?
If the the back 3 require removing the intake, then you may want to replace the coils on plugs too.
For that matter, be prepared to clean intake valves while the cover is off.
Just a thought.

It is a RWD layout, maybe a bit more work than the Grand Marquis. Easy job, the dealer soaks you for 2.2hrs of labor.

I've always been a Denso or NGK guy. The top of the line are usually the 100k+ plugs. For 4 in my previous cars usually about $50-60. That price seems reasonable. $80-90 every 100-120k is cheap. Same reason I buy a good 80-90k tire instead of a 40-50k. Better value but more up front.

The 3 on the back are kind of difficult to do so you don't want to put Copper Plugs in there.

I usually use NGK or Denso for Toyota/Lexus.
Their long life version is about $9, unless the price has gone up.
Sometimes, if you wait, Amazon may have a coupon that you can use with Prime (assuming you have Prime).

Last edited:
Denso TT is identical to the oem fyi. Have them in currently, rock auto had them cheap at the time. Check there.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Rockauto has the OEMs for $67 shipped with discounts, problem solved there. The OEMs are a "Long Life Series" from Denso. The TTs are thinner.

I guess Rockauto wouldn't be a place for counterfeits.

actually I remember some people getting some questionable things from rockauto, but rockauto took care of it, no problem.

also, on my scion tC (toyota 2az-fe engine) it came from the factory with NGK plugs instead of denso. Some came with Denso, some came with NGK. I prefer NGK. have you looked at the NGK equivalent?? on mine they're called Laser Iridium and have the fatter/wider center electrode. Might be cheaper..

I got mine at my local NAPA. Wasn't much different in price from online prices.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Denso TT is identical to the oem fyi. Have them in currently, rock auto had them cheap at the time. Check there.

TTs are not the same. Similar, yes, same no. The electrode has visibly less material on it. I confirmed. Advanced auto PMed Rockauto and got the OEM. Advance is an official distributor for Denso, RA isnt, there are too many counterfeits around. The Owners manual specifies DENSO FK20HBR11, not even a Toyota part.

Good for another 90k now.

Last edited:
OEM only.. Remember there are many things going of the plugs.
Ignition coils could heat and fail if more heat is transferred, one a ignition coil fails then there is no burn on that cylinder and gas makings its way downstream to pre-cat and cats. Then they destroy the O2 sensors, all very expensive repairs.

How I know, I had a [censored] 2000 maxima which had all the above because Nissan f..cked up in their coild and wouldn't do a recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back