Mobil Super Synthetic HTHS better than Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.3, Mobil emailed me that information. That puts it above the 3.1 of Mobil 1 5w30. This combined with a thicker 100 viscosity has made this my oil of choice. I buy ACDelco Dexos Full Synthetic. The ones in the Mobil style containers are defintely Mobil Super Synthetic. Good oil.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.3, Mobil emailed me that information. That puts it above the 3.1 of Mobil 1 5w30. This combined with a thicker 100 viscosity has made this my oil of choice. I buy ACDelco Dexos Full Synthetic. The ones in the Mobil style containers are defintely Mobil Super Synthetic. Good oil.

Have the 5-20 in our Fusion …

If you are just making your decision over one aspect, then yes that's your oil. However, there are so much more to the whole package that should be considered. Mobil Super Syn is a good oil, I agree. However, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, HM etc are noticibly better products "spec wise". I can also usually get Mobil 1 or EP at walmart cheaper than Super Syn which is not available at walmart and parts stores prices on oil is always higher.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
If you are just making your decision over one aspect, then yes that's your oil. However, there are so much more to the whole package that should be considered. Mobil Super Syn is a good oil, I agree. However, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, HM etc are noticibly better products "spec wise". I can also usually get Mobil 1 or EP at walmart cheaper than Super Syn which is not available at walmart and parts stores prices on oil is always higher.

Agree … got mine at AZ clearance but full price I get M1 EP …

Hey thanks for getting this information CapitalTruck. I do like Mobil Super Synthetic rather well myself. It is good to hear about the higher HTHS.

Don't know about that... Mobil Super Synthetic meets Dexos gen 2. Only difference between MSS and Mobil 1 and Mobil EP in terms of specs met.... HTO-06. And that is it.

Nothing wrong with that. HTO-06 is a very good specification due to it testing used oil. Which is a good thing to test for.

But it's not like Mobil 1 or EP meeting a super tough spec like Porsche C30...

bbhero said:
Don't know about that... Mobil Super Synthetic meets Dexos gen 2. Only difference between MSS and Mobil 1 and Mobil EP in terms of specs met.... HTO-06. And that is it.

Nothing wrong with that. HTO-06 is a very good specification due to it testing used oil. Which is a good thing to test for.

But it's not like Mobil 1 or EP meeting a super tough spec like Porsche C30... [/quote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
I don't understand why a 3.3 HTHS is "better than" a 3.1 HTHS.

^ This.

Good call. I just equate it with a stronger fluid film at high temps, but some engines no doubt have such precise tolerances that the higher number isnt necessarily better. My goal has always been to try to find highest number within the tolerable range for my required viscosity. I think that I am able to maintain a more reasonable hot idle oil pressure and quieter valveline in my LS engine. (Helps to keep the tick away, I think. Might be placebo effect.)

Good call. I just equate it with a stronger fluid film at high temps, but some engines no doubt have such precise tolerances that the higher number isnt necessarily better. My goal has always been to try to find highest number within the tolerable range for my required viscosity. I think that I am able to maintain a more reasonable hot idle oil pressure and quieter valveline in my LS engine. (Helps to keep the tick away, I think. Might be placebo effect.)

Then just run a Euro 0w-30
21.gif
HTHS would be >3.5cP.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif
HTHS would be >3.5cP.

Because my truck is still under powertrain warranty and I want to honor the dexos requirement.

21.gif
HTHS would be >3.5cP.

Because my truck is still under powertrain warranty and I want to honor the dexos requirement.

Ahhh, OK. The M1 Euro (ESP) 5w-30 is Dexos 2, I assume you need Dexos 1. It has an HTHS of 3.58
wink.gif

Ahhh, OK. The M1 Euro (ESP) 5w-30 is Dexos 2, I assume you need Dexos 1. It has an HTHS of 3.58
wink.gif

Get ready to pay for that HTHS, at least if you're in the US...

Mobil SS doesn't seem to get much attention, I think the closest WM to my house at least used to carry it but I guess I'm never really looking for it.
These test results are getting awfully old, but the PQIA results for MSS 5W30 looked pretty good in 2013 and it seemed to be closest to Amsoil OE 5W30 out of a fairly big group of synths.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

I would assume that this grade of MSS has been reformulated given that it is a d1G2 oil now and the 2013 calcium levels were pretty high (maybe the big slug of moly could have saved it, though??).
Really looked pretty decent even compared to M1 5W30 in this analysis, the MSS had a slightly higher NOACK loss and was almost 40% thicker in the CCS test at -30C but was also a bit thicker at 100C.
Am curious to see a VOA of the d1G2 version!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

wink.gif

Get ready to pay for that HTHS, at least if you're in the US...

Mobil SS doesn't seem to get much attention, I think the closest WM to my house at least used to carry it but I guess I'm never really looking for it.
These test results are getting awfully old, but the PQIA results for MSS 5W30 looked pretty good in 2013 and it seemed to be closest to Amsoil OE 5W30 out of a fairly big group of synths.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

I would assume that this grade of MSS has been reformulated given that it is a d1G2 oil now and the 2013 calcium levels were pretty high (maybe the big slug of moly could have saved it, though??).
Really looked pretty decent even compared to M1 5W30 in this analysis, the MSS had a slightly higher NOACK loss and was almost 40% thicker in the CCS test at -30C but was also a bit thicker at 100C.
Am curious to see a VOA of the d1G2 version!

So am i. It was interesting to see that Valvoline Conventional 5w20 (non-d1G2), recently tested by PQIA, now has no Sodium, less Calcium and more Zinc and Magnesium. I assume making each tier as uniform as possible makes financial sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back