1989 Chevy C60

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1990 Chevy K1500 about shot. Rust, oil consumption, etc. etc. It's been a good truck, but she's about done.

I mostly use my truck to commute to work (3 miles each way) and run errands around town. 2-3 times a month, I pick up 10-12 bales of hay for my goats or clean up yard messes and take them to the compost center. I occasionally pull a trailer to take the ATV's to ride someplace or other things like that.

But I like Chevy trucks.

I came across this beast. I'm really considering it. 1989 C60 with a recent spray and dually bed. 60k miles on odometer. 454 (7.4L) with TBI and 5 speed manual transmission (and 2 speed rear axle). It's 2WD. Yes, I know the truck will only go 65mph on the highway. Interior is OK. Just has seat cover on it. I'm sure I can fix up the interior pretty nice for a $500-$700. Looks cool to me. I like things that are "different". This would fit the bill.

Anyone have any info or these big Chevy trucks? BTW, I know people will ask, but I think I can buy the truck for $7k.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Is this an April fool's joke?

Why would this be a joke? Absolutely not. That's fine if you don't like the truck. Obviously, it's not the most "economical" thing to buy. But that's not the point. The point would be the FUN factor. Sitting up high in this big truck, running through the gears, with one of my goats in the front seat with me as we ride into town to get an ice cream cone.

It's a short wheel base, so it should turn just fine. It also has power steering. There's not a lot of decent trucks out there for $7000. And for me, this things is pretty cool compared to most $7000 trucks.

Yes, I know the wheels are a pain in the butt. But never in my life have I ever put a car or truck tire on a rim. I take it to the professionals to do that type of work. Plenty of shops near me would have no problem servicing this truck for new rubber.

Last edited:
No jack"s needed to work under there
grin.gif

By the way, whats this, the exhaust?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
BTW, it has split rims, which can kill you if you don't know what your doing.

That's what I thought but the rears don't seem to have what looks like ring locking tabs as on the front, aftermarket look like but not real I think.

$7K seems like a lot for a 30 year old commercial chassis with a dually bed but if you really like it why not?

BTW it absolutely had to have stacks, that ricer/coal roller f@rt can has to go.

Pics of goat riding in cab with head out window mandatory!

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Cool but not sure about a daily driver

I'd be driving it about 10 miles a day. That's about it. Why not?

My current truck doesn't have a radio, heat, or A/C. I'm fine with it as a daily driver. What would be the problem here you think?

Looks like a torture machine . You know how wough that thing will ride ?

But , with a 454 , it will pass anything but a gas station .

But , hey , your money . Knock yourself out .

My son has an 89 GMC like your picture but it has a stake bed on the back. His was originally a Corps of Engineers truck and has about 55,000 miles on it. It's got a Detroit diesel v/8 in it with a 2 speed rear axel.

Great truck. He converted the bed to a dump bed and he uses it in his excavation business to haul debris away.

Looks like a fun truck to me.

Looks to me like someone either swapped the cab and axles to a frame with a dually bed, or they took a grain truck and chopped the frame and added the bed. Either way be prepared for a rough ride, and I would check real close underneath the frame for any butchery and/or bad welds.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Looks to me like someone either swapped the cab and axles to a frame with a dually bed, or they took a grain truck and chopped the frame and added the bed. Either way be prepared for a rough ride, and I would check real close underneath the frame for any butchery and/or bad welds.

Good call. You're right....I bet the frame was shortened. I'll have a good peak underneath tomorrow.

But as previously mentioned, absolutely that nasty exhaust tip has to go. It's gotta have a cool exhaust. Not sure what yet, but a nice rumble would be mandatory.

You sure it's a 454? Those should have come with a 366 or 427 big block or a v8 diesel or 2, don't think a 350 or 454 was an option.

I'm not sure something like that is much good as a commuter. And the gas job ones were geared so the top speed was 50 or so in high range. Even empty.

Would be good for towing heavy stuff (slowly) I guess.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
You sure it's a 454? Those should have come with a 366 or 427 big block or a v8 diesel or 2, don't think a 350 or 454 was an option.

I'm not sure something like that is much good as a commuter. And the gas job ones were geared so the top speed was 50 or so in high range. Even empty.

Would be good for towing heavy stuff (slowly) I guess.

I'm not sure. The listing says 454....but I'm betting it's actually a 427. The seller claims he hooked his race trailer up to it and was going 65mph.....

I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of re-powering this truck with a 454.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back