Load Range Index - Higher= better tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am looking at two identical tires (Nokian WRG3) in 195-65-15 size and I have 2 options:

195/65R15 XL 95H Weight of tire: 17.20 pounds
AND
195/65R15 XL 92H Weight of tire: 15.11 pounds

The weight of the tire is off a tire website, so unsure of its accuracy. Am I correct to assume the tire will be more durable if I buy the 95H model?
Difference in price is about 4$ per tire to have the 95H vs 92H. I am just curious to know how the tire is different. What does that 2 pounds go to? Sidewall strength/more plies?

The OEM tires have a load index of 86S or 89S, so either one of the above Nokians exceeds the OEM requirements. And yes for car in signature!

Thanks in advance!

I have some Nokian eNTYRES, 205/55r16s with a 94H load rating. The side wall is very stiff so next time I would want a lower number but at or slightly above the oem rating. Both tires have the XL rating also. In your case I'd go for the lower one so you don't feel like you're riding around in a truck.

More durable, more load carrying capacity, may have a higher sidewall PSI.

However if the size of the tire is similar to OEM then you should still run the door jamb PSI under normal conditions.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
What does that 2 pounds go to? Sidewall strength/more plies?

Yes, better reinforced sidewalls/carcass.

Whether that's better for your particular application, I don't know. As the other poster noted, you might find them less comfortable to ride on if the sidewalls are stiffer.

There are also 3 other factors in the tire rating. A's are better than B's or C's. I typically won't buy any daily driver passenger car tire with under 400 AB.

The UTQG rating system originated in the US as a way to help consumers make more informed tire-buying decisions. Tire manufacturers give their own tires a grade for treadwear, traction and temperature. Together, these numbers makes up a tire's UTQG rating—a three-digit number plus two letters. For example, 500 A A.

My OE Michelin MXV4(215-55-17 load 93V) also come in 215-55-17 load 94V. I will probably stay with the 93V for comfort. I guess it depends on what you want!

Why would you go with an XL tire? I suspect they ride a bit closer to an LT tire and they are rough compared to a Passenger tire on our vans at work.
Also if they behave like LT tires, if your run them at lower pressures you lose mileage as well.

May be I need to clear up a few things:

The difference between an SL (Standard Load) and an XL (Extra Load) is basically the ability to withstand the extra inflation pressure and extra load. While the body plies and the steel wire belts will be a bit stronger, operating an XL under SL conditions doesn't appreciably change the way the tire performs.

HOWEVER, changing from an XL to Load Range C (or D or E), does - but not because of the difference in Load Range, but because LT tires use different formulations of rubber - in order to withstand the additional load.

Ya' see, rubber has a property called compression set - it is permanently deformed under excessive load. So rubber formulated for an LT tire has to have greater resistance to compression set than rubber for P type tires.

In theory, a P type tire could be made out of the same rubber used for LT tires - and the difference in performance would be virtually undetectable.

So to answer the OP's original question - assuming the weight difference is due to the difference between an SL and an XL (and not the difference is size), then there is no advantage to be gained by using an XL tire in place of an SL - and, Yes!, that weight difference would be in slightly stronger plies and belts.

For whatever reason, the Champiro snow tires I bought in 195/65/15 are XL rated.

This was the only way they'd legally replace the 205s on my camry. Much cheaper, a super common size if I need a replacement, and 10mm skinnier to dig through the snow.

195/65/15 is or was one of the most common sizes out there.

I'd buy the XL tires because you'll also be running them in pothole season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back