Thoughts on 2006 Grand Prix GT for $4600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well it's supercharged
smile.gif

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I owned a 2006 GP GT and really liked it. The only downside is the premium fuel requirement and is not so comfortable for a real long drive.

Great gas mileage, super dependable, and the fold down front passenger seat with the fold down back seat can allow some real long cargo (weird but fun feature).

The GT you are looking at appears like it had regular preventative maintenance (log attached).

I think the price is very high. I think in the $2500-2900 range would be a very nice price.

Those need premium gas. A co-worker had an older supercharged one and got over 200k miles out of it before the transmission went out.

Nice car, but as others have said it's about $2k too much.

I'd call them up and ask if it's got an upgraded LS motor for that price. Good luck bartering them down to a good price.

That generation of Grand Prix were extremely reliable and it was a shame to see the entire brand go away.

My wife and I got rid of our 2004 Grand Prix GT1 (non-SC base model...no options) about a year ago. Even though it had 167K miles on it, we were able to trade it with a contractor in exchange for the labor to put a metal roof and new fascia boards on our house. So if you were to translate that into currency, I'd say we were able to trade it for about $4-6K worth of labor. So depending on the mileage and condition, I'd personally say that $4600 isn't too bad of a deal for a car that is two years newer, with more features, and fewer miles.

Also, my friend was able sell his 2004 Grand Prix GT2 (non-SC 3.8L with: leather, moonroof, Monsoon stereo system, HUD, and heated seats) with ~200K miles in mildly rusty condition on the side of the road for $5300 (with a set of snow tires mounted on steel rims) about 2 years ago. So again, $4600 doesn't sound too bad to me.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Much better than the Taurus.

^^This!! I really like those. It's a 3800 Series II,right? I don't think $4600 is bad at all,especially since it's at a reputable dealership.

Gen III with the better Eaton gen V SC, this is the L32 not the L67. The engine alone is worth 1500 all day, you wont get this car with this engine for 3K, 4K would be a good price.
I like the older 2 doors with the L67 but they are scarce in real clean low mile rust free condition and not 4 grand either. Sometimes you have to throw the book away, you cant drive a book.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Much better than the Taurus.
Just looking for a commuter sedan?

Just need a sedan with an automatic so my wife can drive it too.

Looks like a clean, well maintained car. I owned a 2007 GT for 7 years - great car. Mine used to eat wheel bearings later in its life. The transmission is a HD version on the GT - very reliable. If the fluids look fresh, I think it's a fair price; knowing there is always a little wiggle room.
Look for any signs of coolant loss. Water pumps would weep a little as they were going and there are two plastic coolant elbows nearby that if they haven't been replaced may need attention.

I can't stress replacing the coolant elbows enough! I know someone who had this blow out on their car and it was not good. I agree, however, that the price is a bit high.

I had a 2002 4-door GTP - previous body style but a great car none the less. I loved that car and miss it to this day. I ended up selling it in 2006 with just 28,000 miles on her. She was a garage queen the last year that I owned her.
frown.gif

Last edited:
That is a really clean GP! I also prefer the W-body to the Taurus. And you get a 3800, not to mention a blower on it!
The chain of service records is reassuring.
To me the price is reasonable, you have to remember that you're buying at a dealer, not on Craigslist.
I'd offer $4000 but actually pay what they're asking if they won't budge.

Is it to replace the Nissan or the Buick?

Yeah the price is a little high because it's a dealer not private party. My max private party purchase would be somewhere around $3000, otherwise I'm going to have to put a couple grand down and finance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back