Pennzoil Ultra additive fallout!? (@Gena Fishbeck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. So today I changed my oil with 6qts of Ultra Platinum and a MC FL-500S. I noticed as others here have, that the bottom of the jug had "debris" brownish color additive fallout.

Does this pose any less protection in my engine?

Car in question: 2013 Ford Edge 3.5 Ti-VCT with 54,000 miles.

What did I lose in this oil change? I plan on using a 7k interval.

Thank you!

Anthony

EDIT: The 5qt jug seemed clean I guess, but the 1qt bottle had the most debris.

Last edited:
I am using the same oil in my Mazda 3.7 Duratec. However, I shook mine pretty good before pouring...can't say I noticed the same thing. Coming up on 4,000 miles in OCI...planning on 6-7k as well. Wouldn't think anything important was lost in that debris...hopefully someone else can help.

Last edited:
I think it might be good to clarify what's being discussed because not only does this topic come up every other week...but we may not be talking about the same thing.

I have a semi-regular instance with PP where there's a brown discoloration at the bottom of the jug that doesn't really shake back into suspension. I was told that this is a by-product of their production cycle and is normal. This is not something falling out of suspension but I'm assuming something you can probably expect to see with at least some regularity with PP and PUP.

I don't know if that's your issue but this topic is so constant that I'm sure even if additives WERE falling out of suspension you don't have much to worry about....

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Life has lots of deep concerns. But this isn't one of them.

Yep, putting in QSUD 10w30 whenever our monsoon rain stops

I also shook vigorously. The stuff at the bottom seems like a semi liquid sediment. I wish someone from Pennzoil would weigh in on this.

Oddly enough the 5qt bottle was mostly clean. Makes me wonder what additive my sump is missing now.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Life has lots of deep concerns. But this isn't one of them.

Yep, putting in QSUD 10w30 whenever our monsoon rain stops

LOL well at least it isn't a blizzard Adam.

I've seen this in every container of PP and PU,but the bottom of every PPHM container I've ever used stays perfectly clean!

I first noticed this in a different oil brand years ago. The explanation I got from the company was that the base stock will absorb X amount of additive. To make sure that the oil has the correct amount of additive they add say X.01 amount of additive during the manufacturing process. That’s the .01 that you see on the bottom of the container. It does little good to shake the container, since that .01 will just end up on the bottom of the oil pan. That was their story, maybe there was an element of marketing in it. Not being a chemist, I’m not sure if it’s a standard practice to arbitrarily blend so much additive into a base oil that some of it drops out of solution. Or, maybe some of the additives are not oil soluble, are heavy and drop out of solution so you do need to shake the container. I know this question is repeated regularly and I don’t have a definitive answer.

If additive fallout was a thing then it'd be one of the top concerns on this board. But millions of miles on countless UOAs seem to indicate that additives don't fall out.

So the stuff on the bottom is inconsequential.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've seen this in every container of PP and PU,but the bottom of every PPHM container I've ever used stays perfectly clean!

Ditto!

Never had any issues in any of the synthetics I've used from them- just shake it up and you will be fine!

Somewhere in the world, there's an oil formulator who's got the whole world and his dog putting the boot in right now over this issue!

It's almost certainly an additive drop out issue (my money's on Moly) and the fact that it's still happening says to me they can't find a solution to it (no pun intended!).

This topic comes up a lot. Shake the oil and pour it in, there's nothing wrong with the oil. I've seen it in just about every brand of oil I've used over the past 40+ years, depending on how long the oil sat.

For me the proof is how crazy smooth all Pennzoil products run in everything you put them in. I've got a fresh jug of PP waiting for my Accord next oil change and will be going back to PP in my 300ZX next oil change.

Pennzoil makes a good product but they just have not figured out intelligent molecule technology. If you use intelligent molecules, they DON"T "drop out".

Originally Posted By: KevinP
Pennzoil makes a good product but they just have not figured out intelligent molecule technology. If you use intelligent molecules, they DON"T "drop out".

Whose molecules are smarter? lol If you're referring to Castrol, Edge and Magnatec they're no smarter. I've used both and saw fallout.......

Originally Posted By: KevinP

I agree. I have been using Pennzoil products for quite a few years now and all my vehicles have run super quiet and smooth. I won't mention the brand, but my previous favorite popular oil was never as quiet running as Pennzoil.

I joined this site back in 2006 and this, "stuff in the bottom of the jug" was a topic way back then. If Pennzoil jugs weren't yellow, this would be a non topic.

Does Gena Fishbeck or Pennzoil even post here anymore or was that just about shoving their new Pure Plus down our throats?

I will say, with the PUP, my Duratec seems quieter and smoother. I disagree with anyone who says there is a horsepower gain with a synthetic oil regardless of the benefit of reduced drag on internal parts.

I just want to know what that solid material was!!

Gena pops in from time to time to offer a poster to participate in their program/study. I am not even sure if she is a real person. Bots are getting better all the time.

If anyone here has met Gena Fishbeck in person then my advance apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back