Zerex G-05 and Asian Formula interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that Dex-cool formulas, which are a type of OAT, should not be mixed with HOAT formulas, nor IAT formulas.
But I cannot find out if Zerex Asian formula will react or interact with Zerex G-05.
The non-technical differences between these are that one is Phosphate included (Asian), and one is Silicate included (G-05).
Both are HOAT antifreeze. The Phos or Silicate are the inorganic additives that define it as a Hybrid, as opposed to an OAT.
Dex-cool OAT is a different organic acid chemistry to modern HOATs.
But what about HOATs interacting negatively with other HOATs?

Do either of these, Zerex G-05 or Zerex Asian Formula have anything in them that would interact for a negative outcome in nominal engine operation, and if so, what would it be and do?

Let me get this out of the way before it is suggested; yes, I know you can flush old antifreeze out and put in fresh. Such method is good, but not the object of this discussion/thread.

I've heard of people mistakenly adding conventional green to Mazda/Ford FL22 & Nissan PHOAT antifreeze, not realizing they weren't the same, but no bad effects happened. Conventional & Dexcool is a different story...
37.gif
I still wouldn't mix them, the mix wouldn't have the same long lasting characteristics of a totally PHOAT solution.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
If you referring to your Toyota vehicle, use the Zerex Asian. Toyota doesn't want silicate coolant used in its products.

No, not really, I ask because I'm frustrated at coming up essentially empty, so I decided to ask. Inquisitive by nature.

While the Japanese has made their disdain for phosphate well known, they also don't like the borates in G-05, saying they can cause pitting of aluminum. However, I think G-05 in small amounts won't cause harm. The organic acid in G-05 and Zerex Asian Formula are the same(sodium benzoate).

Originally Posted By: Brian553
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
If you referring to your Toyota vehicle, use the Zerex Asian. Toyota doesn't want silicate coolant used in its products.

No, not really, I ask because I'm frustrated at coming up essentially empty, so I decided to ask. Inquisitive by nature.

Walmart has the Asian Zerex.

you gotta go walmart.com for the full strength, the already diluted 50-50 asian Zerex is on the shelf, buying full + .80 for a gallon of distilled water = more for less!!

I meant that I was not referring to my Toyota, but instead coming up empty with regards to the question of "what happens when these two mix?"

I don't know exactly what happens when you mix these two formulas, as I never mixed them, but they are both HOAT, so nothing catastrophic, like mixing HOAT with OAT, should happen. I think the long life aspect is lost at that point.

The safest way is not to mix at all. I've been using G-05 in my Mazda 3 for close to 10 years now, after a full flush of course, with the feared silicates, and when I changed the thermostat the internals looked pristine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back