Pennzoil & SN Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed on the Pennzoil website that Pennzoil now says its dexos1Gen2 oils are “SN Plus Ready”, and will be labeled as such at the earliest allowed date: May 2018.

It makes sense that oil makers would not reformulate separate oils to meet d1G2 and SN PLus, but Pennzoil,is the first I’ve seen to make the SN Plus claim.

I can unspderdtand why non-GM OEMs wouldn’t specify dexos1Gen2 as a standard even if it were beneficial, but it will be interesting to see how quickly they jump on the SN Plus bandwagon. And if SN Plus allows engines to be tuned to better fuel economy, will any OEM back-spec it with an accompanying software update? Probably not, but we can dream...

Like Wemay said. . Good work
thumbsup2.gif

I do think if a oil is Dexos gen 2 approved it very, very likely exceeds API SN+. Thus there would be no need to do that for those Dexos gen 2 approved oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
"unspderdtand"?

grin.gif

Everybody’s a critic...

Big thumbs, small keyboard, spell check on holiday.

Hey there Danh,

We're glad you noticed the change. You are correct in that we will be expecting the first use date to be this May. Stay tuned!

Thanks,
Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Hey there Danh,

We're glad you noticed the change. You are correct in that we will be expecting the first use date to be this May. Stay tuned!

Thanks,
Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Gena, thanks for monitoring comments on this board. But a question many here have wondered about: why does Pennzoil formulate its oils on the “thin”side? Platinum 5w-30, for example, is just a few centistokes from being a 20-weight oil @ 100C.

Those of us with direct injection engines prone to fuel dilution may want to start with higher viscosity to preserve a bit more after the inevitable dilution occurs. For me at least, this takes most Pennzoil products off the table and pushes me into the welcoming arms of Mobil1. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Not to answer for Pennzoil, but it's better to pay attention to HTHS, generally speaking. Where it counts, most ILSAC 5w-30 options are more similar than dissimilar.

Fair enough, but most PDS are silent on HTHS. And if anything is said a 20-weight will almost surely say >2.6, 2.6 or 2.7, so nothing to really distinguish one product from another. UOAs don’t measure HTHS, so the only method we users have to evaluate whether used oil stayed in grade is kinematic viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Hey there Danh,

Thanks,
Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Gena, thanks for monitoring comments on this board. But a question many here have wondered about: why does Pennzoil formulate its oils on the “thin”side? Platinum 5w-30, for example, is just a few centistokes from being a 20-weight oil @ 100C.

Those of us with direct injection engines prone to fuel dilution may want to start with higher viscosity to preserve a bit more after the inevitable dilution occurs. For me at least, this takes most Pennzoil products off the table and pushes me into the welcoming arms of Mobil1. Thanks.

One benefit of Pennzoil Platinum is that is doesn't shear to a lighter viscosity as easily as other oils. Oil analysis of this oil in turbo direct-injection Subarus shows no thinning at all (aside from any thinning caused by fuel dilution).

The new Pennzoil synthetic DEXOS 1 Gen 2 oils are designed to hold up to fuel dilution and reduce sheering ! A thin 30W in this case is ideal in the Gen 2 formulation which I currently run in my 2017 DI Sonata with good results . NOACK must be really low as the dipstick level has NOT budged in over 2,500 miles ... I would use the PP 5W30 in a DI engine rated for 20W or 30W oil with confidence - think of it as a "heavy" 20W oil without being susceptible to fuel dilution . I have 2,500 miles on this PP 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 oil and the dipstick has not budged !
Hey there Danh,

Thanks,
Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Fair enough, but most PDS are silent on HTHS.

An ILSAC 30 will almost certainly have an HTHS of roughly 3.0 +/- 0.1. Of course, if we're relying on UOAs and their kinematic viscosity, it would be best to have a VOA for the product in question from the same lab.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
The new Pennzoil synthetic DEXOS 1 Gen 2 oils are designed to hold up to fuel dilution and reduce sheering ! A thin 30W in this case is ideal in the Gen 2 formulation which I currently run in my 2017 DI Sonata with good results . NOACK must be really low as the dipstick level has NOT budged in over 2,500 miles ... I would use the PP 5W30 in a DI engine rated for 20W or 30W oil with confidence - think of it as a "heavy" 20W oil without being susceptible to fuel dilution . I have 2,500 miles on this PP 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 oil and the dipstick has not budged !
Hey there Danh,

Thanks,
Gena & The Pennzoil Team

I have run either PP or PUP 5W-20 in my 13 Ram hemi since new and it hasn't used/burned a drop of oil ever. I am currently running PUP 5W-30 in my wife's 2017 3.6 Impala and to date, it also hasn't used a drop.

With that being said, however, and being truthful/honest, maybe these engines aren't known for using oil no matter what brand you run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back