New M1 0W-40 ESP dexos2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So GM is now using Mobil1's new 0w-40 ESP with dexos2 rating for all new 2019 Corvette's, and as you will see from a reply from Tadge Juechtner, Corvette Chief Engineer, he's recommending that all C7 Corvette's from 2014 onward switch from the previous 5w-30 recommendation to this new 0w-40 ESP formula. In fact, M1 says you can use it in all previous Corvette engines that called for a dexos approved oil.

Specs below are from M1. Interesting in how they compare. If GM is recommending this new 0w-40 for all of the LT1 GenV motors, than I'd probably want to run it over the 0w-20 oil they call for in the L86 6.2L in my Yukon Denalli, as it is essentially the same engine as the LT1 that comes in the C7 Corvette, (different exhaust manifolds and different intake manifold, but other otherwise identical.)

M1 0w-40 ESP dexos2 Product Data Sheet

Quote:
Tadge answered:
Yes, the new Mobil1 OW40 Dexos 2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40) is also the recommended oil for all C7's prior to 2019. This oil was specifically developed to meet all of GM's performance requirements during engine dyno testing, vehicle road testing and performance track testing including the 2014-2018 Corvettes (all models). The Multi-grade Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 synthetic motor oil has many benefits including exceptional fast oil flow at startup along with low temperature pump-ability and exceptional viscosity/performance characteristics at high-temperature and high-RPM operating conditions. We are still refining our recommendations for the LT5 in the upcoming ZR1, so they may differ.
Link

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Why not just use the FS 0W-40 in a gasoline engine?

Higher HTHS, TBN, and SAPS.

Yup, that last one may be key here. The PU 0w-40 SRT stuff is lower on the AW additives than the typical Euro oil.

Why not just make 0w40 the standard oil and forget the other stuff, every GM engine gas or diesel in Europe is dexos 2.
The fact they don't recommend a xw20 or xw30 makes it pretty evident that those oils don't protect the engine well enough. Today I only buy Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 and it goes in everything inc small engines.

You wont believe it, nothing blew up, ran poorly, wore out or failed to start in cold weather. Snow blower is 13 yrs old this Nov and has had 0w40 in it since the first hour, it now has over 150 hours on it and uses no oil, starts first pull and has never needed a valve adjustment since the initial on at 20 hrs.
That tells a lot right there! It means there is not enough wear on the cam, lifters or rocker arms to measure, if the top end is that good the bottom end is the same or even better.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Why not just make 0w40 the standard oil and forget the other stuff,
every GM engine gas or diesel in Europe is dexos 2.

Because in the US we have CAFE. 40 grades are therefore evil.
smile.gif

Quote:
The fact they don't recommend a xw20 or xw30 makes it pretty evident that those oils don't protect the engine well enough.
Not well enough on the track, but it may be just barely enough on the street.
smile.gif

The GM GenV LT engines have direct injection and therefore I believe one of the ways to combat carbon buildup is to require low SAPS. The new GenV LT5 motor in the new ZR1 is GM's first engine to offer both Port and Direct Injection, just like what Ford is doing with the Gen2 EcoBoost motors.

Interesting-thought Dexos 2 oils were too low in TBN for our high sulfur gasoline? Did our gasoline become low sulfur now? Or are the oils going to have short usable lifespans because of it? I do see it has an 8.5 TBN, that's not really low at all compared to most SN oils. Now they just have to get it into WM to get the price down...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Interesting-thought Dexos 2 oils were too low in TBN for our high sulfur gasoline? Did our gasoline become low sulfur now?
We are getting there. There is already a mandate to require a 10ppm sulfur national average. Unfortunately, for now it's still just an average.

Quote:
Or are the oils going to have short usable lifespans because of it? I do see it has an 8.5 TBN, that's not really low at all compared to most SN oils.
Based on what Patman wrote earlier, the OLM in these new Vettes is calibrated in a way where you are unlikely to see very long OCI so the 8.5 TBN should be sufficient.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Based on what Patman wrote earlier, the OLM in these new Vettes is calibrated in a way where you are unlikely to see very long OCI so the 8.5 TBN should be sufficient.

It's true, most people with Corvettes will hit the one year mark before they put any significant miles on the oil, and the OLM in the C7 Corvette always hits 0% by the one year anniversary of the last reset, even if you don't start the engine at all. But for those that do drive their cars daily, it seems like the OLM counts down to zero around 6 or 7k. So only someone doing pure highway driving on a new Corvette would ever see a 10k interval or higher I suspect.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Why not just make 0w40 the standard oil and forget the other stuff, every GM engine gas or diesel in Europe is dexos 2.
The fact they don't recommend a xw20 or xw30 makes it pretty evident that those oils don't protect the engine well enough. Today I only buy Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 and it goes in everything inc small engines.

You wont believe it, nothing blew up, ran poorly, wore out or failed to start in cold weather. Snow blower is 13 yrs old this Nov and has had 0w40 in it since the first hour, it now has over 150 hours on it and uses no oil, starts first pull and has never needed a valve adjustment since the initial on at 20 hrs.
That tells a lot right there! It means there is not enough wear on the cam, lifters or rocker arms to measure, if the top end is that good the bottom end is the same or even better.

I'm not disagreeing with you but Dexos 2 comes in 5w30 regularly. Possibly in 0w30 too, albeit I'm unsure about that. Dynamic viscosity is what counts.

SAE grades are just for marketing purposes in ACEA world and Dexos 2 is just a C3 based oil in the end.

Quote:
Based on what Patman wrote earlier, the OLM in these new Vettes is calibrated in a way where you are unlikely to see very long OCI so the 8.5 TBN should be insufficient.
That should have said 'sufficient'. Too late to edit.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Interesting-thought Dexos 2 oils were too low in TBN for our high sulfur gasoline?

Watch the OCI, and it shouldn't be a problem. Given the usage pattern of Vettes, if people are following the "time" aspect of the intervals and maintenance minder, it shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

I'm not disagreeing with you but Dexos 2 comes in 5w30 regularly. Possibly in 0w30 too, albeit I'm unsure about that. Dynamic viscosity is what counts.

SAE grades are just for marketing purposes in ACEA world and Dexos 2 is just a C3 based oil in the end.

Your right I should have said high HTHS oil my bad.

It would seem to follow that using 0w-40 in the earlier LS1 cars (Vette, Camaro, Firebird, etc.) vs. the recommended 5w-30 applies as well. I made that switch 2 yrs ago.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
Based on what Patman wrote earlier, the OLM in these new Vettes is calibrated in a way where you are unlikely to see very long OCI so the 8.5 TBN should be insufficient.
That should have said 'sufficient'. Too late to edit.

I fixed it for you
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back