99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what oil you recommend for a 99 Cherokee with the 4.0 I6? It has about 158k miles on it. I just purchased it so I don’t know the history of what oil has been used. I’ve heard good things about RT6 in the 4.0 Jeep’s but was wondering what you all thought? Also what oil filters you like?

I use 10W30 in the winter in mine, and 10W40 or 15W40 in the summer. Using an XG8A Ultra for 3 5000 mile oil changes, it fits fine, is twice the size of the (same price) XG16 it calls for. 235K miles at the moment.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Anything that's clean and thicker than camel snot.

30 or 40 weight oils do the trick.

This. I run 10W-30 M1 or PP year round.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I use 10W30 in the winter in mine, and 10W40 or 15W40 in the summer. Using an XG8A Ultra for 3 5000 mile oil changes, it fits fine, is twice the size of the (same price) XG16 it calls for. 235K miles at the moment.
Bullwinkle you have and oil pressure gauge in your jeep. Between the standard size Fran and the longer (larger) one with the same weight oil is your start up and running pressure the same between the two filters. Thank you

Also forgot to mention I live in NY If that matters. It don’t be beat on but will see some occasional off-road and spirited driving.... as much spirited as a Cherokee could do lol

Originally Posted By: littleant
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Bullwinkle you have and oil pressure gauge in your jeep. Between the standard size Fran and the longer (larger) one with the same weight oil is your start up and running pressure the same between the two filters. Thank you
Funny you should mention that-gauge indicates lousy with either one, but my brand new OEM Mopar sender just came in from Rock Auto yesterday, I'll be putting it in this weekend (if the monsoon lets up long enough!).

BTW-the factory recommendation is 10W30 on these-IMHO a silicone ADBV in the oil filter is almost more important than the oil weight, they have a tendency to drain the sideways filter overnight with a nitrile one. Resulting in more of a startup racket than usual, if that's possible...

Someone mentioned this in another thread, great deal, would work great for you too

https://smile.amazon.com/Valvoline-10W-40-MaxLife-Mileage-Motor/dp/B008QDXADW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518732310&sr=8-1&keywords=10%2F40+valvoline+maxlife

Originally Posted By: Audios
Someone mentioned this in another thread, great deal, would work great for you too

https://smile.amazon.com/Valvoline-10W-40-MaxLife-Mileage-Motor/dp/B008QDXADW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518732310&sr=8-1&keywords=10%2F40+valvoline+maxlife
That's my summer oil, loads of Maxlife NextGen 10W40 from the O'Reilly clearance, still have probably 70-80 quarts left.

Used 5-30 and 10-30 in Sis' Cherokee. Sale dino and filter packages from America's usual auto stores.
It REALLY loved the "Formula Shell" 10W-30 from Costco.

Didn't burn any. Sold it with 171K.

See when the secondaries were last changed (cap, rotor, plugs, wires). I swapped in new parts and didn't tell her.
She came by to visit and said, "Wow, what did you do to my car!" She was happy.

Replace the PCV grommets, elbows (one's an elbow the other has the PCV orifice) and vacuum source pipe.
VC gasket change was the best money I ever spent.

How much did you pay for your '99?

Don’t worry about it too much.

Just use a 5w30 in the winter and a 10w30 in the summer. Toss a coin on what to use.

I’m using Napa Conventional 10w30 in mine that I got for $1 per quart on clearance, it’s the same stuff as Valvoline.

M1 HM 10w30. I chose it for the thicker 3.5 HTHS. Typically 5500 miles during the winter and 7500 during the summer months.

TG8A as always

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Something oily. That's all they need. That's the year that started the 0331 head problems. If the head has not cracked by now it may not ever.

Just to clarify these are the years the 0331 head plagued the 4.0:

-2000-2001 for the Cherokee (1999 and earlier had distributor ignition)
-2000-2002 for the Wrangler (1999 and earlier had distributor ignition)
-1999-2002 for the Grand Cherokee (redesigned Grand came out in 1999 with the coil on plug ignition and 0331 head)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back