How are muffler shops still in business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local muffler shop here in town is a busy place, reservations are a must, quality work, lots of repeat customers,me included. He does a ton of muffler replacements, FlowMaster and MagnaFlow are his big sellers, one wall he has stacked with new stock mufflers that were pulled off new cars and trucks.

Yes, Minute here usually requires appointments, though they do the best they can if someone is in a pinch. Of course, they do the special aftermarket exhaust, as you mention. When I get an alignment done, I know it's done right. When I get the front end inspected, I know they won't throw parts (or claim to throw parts) at it, unless necessary. I've had more alignments done there without needing suspension parts than with, and had alignments stay in order over lengthy periods, so I've always been happy. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I went to a muffler shop a few weeks ago to get a quote on repairing two blown mufflers.
The quote was nearly 300$
lol.gif

I managed to get the entire exhaust system for the car online for 150€, add to that another 25 because a friend of mine who owns a lift changed it for me.

The mid pipe/resonator in our 2010 impala rusted and cracked at one of the welds last year. Went to a muffler shop and they wanted $275 to cut out and weld in a new resonator, they wouldn;t just weld the crack. I ordered a Walker Stainless cat back kit that included the mid-pipe/resonator and Stainless muffler for $160 shipped. Did it myself in a few hours.

How they are still in business, not sure...

Even though the Tesla and Prius rule the roads in the Bay Area there's still muffler shops in business. Not too many in the suburbs but those guys still see muscle cars and bros come in. The ones in Oakland and Richmond see a lot of cat replacements and custom exhaust work on F-bodies and 'stangs that see the sideshow quite a bit.

The muffler shops around here have no shortage of business. The one I go to only does exhaust work, and takes appointments, no walk ins.

I needed to do some work that involved dropping the exhaust and unfastening some hard-to-reach bolts that hadn't been touched in 20 years. A mishap involving them would be an enormous headache, and open a can of worms involving hassle and extra costs. I did give it a shot, but quickly decided a pro, with their tools and experience was the smartest route.

The 20 bucks I paid the guy to break them loose was for me was money well spent as far as I was concerned.

Originally Posted By: willbur
Just saying, but are you aware of the severe penalties for removing/tampering with automotive emissions control systems? Like $3750 for individuals and $37500 for a shop? Per incident

lol there is zero enforcement of this. nobody cares bro

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
mufflers used to last 2 years.
not now- thanks to who? the Japanese?
Thanks Japanese, they stopped the charade of continual muffler replacement.

Plenty of 80's & 90's Japanese cars had mild steel mufflers/catbacks that rotted out.

Our service vehicles have had permanent exhaust systems for decades, never need service or replacements. Even the converters last as long as the truck is kept in good running condition.

Good thing, too, as a muffler for a 3500 van is very expensive.

I have no taste for removing cats, it's just like having stupid loud pipes. What if everyone did it? Think about that a minute. Then remember, most aftermarket noisy pipes simply move your torque curve up and kill acceleration unless carefully set up and tuned...

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
Just saying, but are you aware of the severe penalties for removing/tampering with automotive emissions control systems? Like $3750 for individuals and $37500 for a shop? Per incident

You're so funny, Bro. LOL
VW thought nobody cared but got caught and spent Billions on fines, lawyers, executives in jail, lost sales, reputation. Yes, they're just yucking it up and high fiving over at VW. I think they care now...

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes

You're so funny, Bro. LOL
VW thought nobody cared but got caught and spent Billions on fines, lawyers, executives in jail, lost sales, reputation. Yes, they're just yucking it up and high fiving over at VW. I think they care now...

Name some individuals or shops that were fined. With the current administration in charge that's rolling back regulation and easing enforcement, it's a double nobody cares now. VW is a big fish, they only go after the big fish, those are the ones with money. They usually leave the little fishes alone. Hence nobody cares.

The Lexus I bought is going to need an Exhaust soon, and there is no aftermarket. Toyota does not use good SS in their exhaust, unlike Ford (who knows what they use now).

Originally Posted By: Chris142
He now just comes in a couple days a week to collect cash and to drop off pay checks.
That's the kind of job I need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back