2007 Silverado - ABS Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying on about 1/2 the time . Brake reservoir is full .

What to check first ? Wheel sensors & wiring ?

Thanks , :)

In my experience, intermittent lights are often sensors going out. I'd hazard a guess that you have a wheel speed sensor on the way out.

Check for codes?

I got ABS and a bunch of other warning lights on my Vibe, and Advance Auto's scanner was able to pull ABS codes. The problem turned out to be a bad wheel sensor and harness.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
In my experience, intermittent lights are often sensors going out. I'd hazard a guess that you have a wheel speed sensor on the way out.

Probably this. Every ABS light I have ever had was an indication that a wheel bearing was soon to follow.

My neighbor just went through this with an '09 Silverado. The only thing that he could find that was marginal with the braking system was that the rear brake shoes were just about gone. He replaced the shoes, and the light has stayed off since.

IIRC these use a separate ABS sensor, look for metal particles or other junk on the magnet. Many times rust from the brake shield collects on them and will cause an intermittent light.

Edit: Next time the light is on use an ABS scanner to determine the offending sensor, clean before replace.

Last edited:
I have a scanner that may or may not read ABS codes . May try it in the next few days .

Just moved into this truck earlier in the week . Mine was totaled & this is / was the spare company truck .

Any idea if ABC codes are stored , after the ABS lite goes out ?

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

The EBCM stores history codes, If you have a front WSS code.....I would start with jacking up the truck & checking for a loose wheel hub bearing. Corrosion isn't an issue in most parts of Texas.

Yes why would the brake shield be rotten in Texas, not everybody lives with rusty rotten stuff like us poor basta....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The EBCM stores history codes, If you have a front WSS code.....I would start with jacking up the truck & checking for a loose wheel hub bearing. Corrosion isn't an issue in most parts of Texas.

Do not hear / feel any bearing problems . For what that is worth .

In my youth , pickup wheel bearings , were the kind that you could take out and hand pack . Would a 2007 Chevy have that type or the sealed bearings ?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes why would the brake shield be rotten in Texas, not everybody lives with rusty rotten stuff like us poor basta....
lol.gif

For that I am thankful !

Originally Posted By: Trav
lol.gif

I've seen some Northeast/Midwest cars roll through the shop over years.....[censored]!!! I applaud you mechanics that have to deal with that on every single vehicle.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

Do not hear / feel any bearing problems . For what that is worth .

In my youth , pickup wheel bearings , were the kind that you could take out and hand pack . Would a 2007 Chevy have that type or the sealed bearings ?

They can be loose enough to mess with the sensor air-gap but not make noise.....Yet.

Some bearings make a TON of noise & not have any slack.....Just last week I did a rear wheel bearing on a 2003 Sequoia that was raising [censored] with .003" axial end play & .001 radial end play.

GM has used sealed hub bearing in all light duty trucks since the introduction of the GMT-800 platform, And only 2wd GMT-400 trucks had seviceable tapered bearings.

Retrieve the Current & History DTC's out of the EBCM & proceed from there!

I am not sure if there are ABS sensors at both rear wheels, or if there is one sensor at the differential gear. I have been told that if you have an ABS sensor that reads the rear differential, the magnet may attract metal from the gear oil. The solution is to remove the sensor, clean it, and replace your gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back