A Use for Skinny Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally?

Supposed to be SL 5W/50.

What will all that VII do long term in a brake cable? (Hopefully nothing.)

I say supposed to be because this was part of a big stash of old oil, some sealed, some not, that I found on campus a few years ago. This stuffs bottles were cracking so I decanted it into a fizzy pop bottle (these are STRONG) and transferred the labels.

I can't now remember for sure if the bottles were sealed, so it might not be what it says it is, but it probably is. Looks a bit dark but doesn't smell like veg oil which is the only thing I can think of that would cause trouble.

I wouldn't in any case use this weight in an engine here even if it came straight from a fresh bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A gold flip-flop hub single speed. Are you one of them hipsters?

I only use very lightweight oil in bike cables. Rem Oil or 3in1.

That's no single speed, that's a fixed gear on a deep v rim. The same setup I had when I was 20 years old and lived downtown, lol. Ducked is a fixie riding hipster!

ATF is what you use to lube cables, no? ATF is like 10w or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington

That's no single speed, that's a fixed gear on a deep v rim. The same setup I had when I was 20 years old and lived downtown, lol. Ducked is a fixie riding hipster!

Just recovering this bike from the junk pile, but the last one I did, which is the same except it didn't have a rear brake, you could flip the wheel to get fixed or single freewheel. I ran it fixed for a bit but then flipped it. I'm a bit too lazy for a fixed speed, but it was interesting to try.

I don't like those wheels though. The tubes are too vulnerable, its a pain retrieving lost spoke nipples from inside the double rim, and almost every one I've opened up have an overlong tube doubled over, so its no wonder they ride lousy and bust all the time.

There's a minimalist single speed here which I havn't seen anywhere else, (though I THINK I've heard of it), which has a reversing hub brake, and I'm currently recovering a couple of those too. I took one apart once, probably for no good reason, cant remember. Its elegantly simple but I couldn't quite figure out how it worked. Looked a bit like an impact driver inside.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Just recovering this bike from the junk pile, but the last one I did, which is the same except it didn't have a rear brake, you could flip the wheel to get fixed or single freewheel. I ran it fixed for a bit but then flipped it. I'm a bit too lazy for a fixed speed, but it was interesting to try.

I don't like those wheels though. The tubes are too vulnerable, its a pain retrieving lost spoke nipples from inside the double rim, and almost every one I've opened up have an overlong tube doubled over, so its no wonder they ride lousy and bust all the time.

There's a minimalist single speed here which I havn't seen anywhere else, (though I THINK I've heard of it), which has a reversing hub brake, and I'm currently recovering a couple of those too. I took one apart once, probably for no good reason, cant remember. Its elegantly simple but I couldn't quite figure out how it worked. Looked a bit like an impact driver inside.

Coaster brake, baby! I remember laying skid marks at the bottom of every hill in the neighbourhood when I were a lad. Mine had a bracket that bolted onto the horizontal bar near the rear wheel.

They don't have sturmey archer 3 spds there? I know you're English, there is no excuse for not having one!

I'm Scottish.

I do have a Sturmey-Archer in my project bike stash. They are very rare here and I think this one might have been made in China (or here), hopefully under some sort of licence. Havn't done anything with it and its been out in the rain.

Chinese New Year Resolution : I'll give it an oil tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Coaster brake, baby! I remember laying skid marks at the bottom of every hill in the neighbourhood when I were a lad. Mine had a bracket that bolted onto the horizontal bar near the rear wheel.

They make a lot of sense here (or indeed anywhere) since they are very low maintenance, and Taiwanese don't do maintenance. They seem to be cheap and I think they might be produced by local bike shops who fit the hub to second-hand frames, which are available in huge quantities because Taiwanese don't do maintenance.

Braking performance is pretty low though. I was thinking I might try and fit one of the hubs to a junkpile 10 speed to give two braking modes. Since I take my bikes off the abandoned bike junkpile its usually too much work to restore the corroded derailleur gears and chainset to functionality, though I have done it a few times.

That's no single speed, that's a fixed gear on a deep v rim.

Yeah, brain [censored], I know better but the rear brake threw me. Brake on a fixie?

Yeah, brain [censored], I know better but the rear brake threw me. Brake on a fixie?

Rear brake on a rim with no friction surface! Where else will you see that? Ducked is the master of improvisation!

Rear brake on a rim with no friction surface! Where else will you see that? Ducked is the master of improvisation!

Nothing to do with me mate. Like that when I got it. I'm coming to the conclusion that those wheels aren't worth the trouble and may not bother with them any more.

I have found the answer to all my biking needs in 1980 when I bought A 1958 Raleigh Sports at a garage sale for $20. Although long gone now, I have never since made another bicycle purchase other than 3-speed English bikes.
Designed to operate entirely on light oils. ATF works for well most everything in terms of lubrication for winter needs for some Sturmey Archer IGH hubs. Even lighter weights or Synthetics do to sticking pawls in the gear changing process. 3 in 1 oil gets heavy in the winter. I don't go out of my way to find Special lubes, usually what can be found at the Home Depot ect. I do grease hubs & bb & headset due to it lasting for years instead weeks and the oily mess is then far more controllable. My everyday rider sits out 24/7 only needing to squirt the 50 year old chain now & then.

Originally Posted By: johnnyspaghetti
I have found the answer to all my biking needs in 1980 when I bought A 1958 Raleigh Sports at a garage sale for $20. Although long gone now, I have never since made another bicycle purchase other than 3-speed English bikes.
Designed to operate entirely on light oils. ATF works for well most everything in terms of lubrication for winter needs for some Sturmey Archer IGH hubs. Even lighter weights or Synthetics do to sticking pawls in the gear changing process. 3 in 1 oil gets heavy in the winter. I don't go out of my way to find Special lubes, usually what can be found at the Home Depot ect. I do grease hubs & bb & headset due to it lasting for years instead weeks and the oily mess is then far more controllable. My everyday rider sits out 24/7 only needing to squirt the 50 year old chain now & then.

ATF, eh? Did not think of that. I should pull apart my AW, it's got a good 5 years & several hundred miles using a variety of oils--5W40, chain lube and the last time I used oil for air tools.

I do like these bikes but steel rims & braking do not go together.

Don't know about yours, but while mine has 3 gears I consider it having 4 speeds--fourth being walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back