Home invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few nights ago, about two miles from where I live out in the country, a house was invaded and a man and his dog were killed. They lived alone. 37 year old guy.

A neighbor saw the front door wide open in the daytime and called the police as the man usually works during the day. I don't know any more details other than rumor says a knife was used. Very unusual for my area of low crime.

Makes one think, how could someone get into a house where a man and dog lived and kill them with a knife or even a gun.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I live in a fairly urban area, and you would be surprised how many people leave their doors unlocked.

This. I have neighbors with front door open, garage door open, all day. I don't get it.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Chances are this wasn't random and the killer knew the killee.

+1

Most attacks like this are not random, it is someone who targeted the person for one reason or another and knew information about them.

Originally Posted By: callbay
A few nights ago, about two miles from where I live out in the country, a house was invaded and a man and his dog were killed. They lived alone. 37 year old guy.

A neighbor saw the front door wide open in the daytime and called the police as the man usually works during the day. I don't know any more details other than rumor says a knife was used. Very unusual for my area of low crime.

Makes one think, how could someone get into a house where a man and dog lived and kill them with a knife or even a gun.

Any thoughts?

I've done a lot of motorcycle riding in the Ozarks. Where did this happen? Curious if I've been through the area.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I live in a fairly urban area, and you would be surprised how many people leave their doors unlocked.

Up until my house was sabotaged, I never locked the doors. And the keys to at least 1 vehicle were always in the ignition.

Actually, the keys are still in my Jeep. It's parked in the back yard. The trac bar is broken, so it's not going to turn out of the back yard.

A lot of people don't take the "element of surprise" into account. I don't care how armed you are, if your surprised by someone..... .

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A lot of people don't take the "element of surprise" into account. I don't care how armed you are, if your surprised by someone..... .

No electronics in the world can out perform our canine dust mops ... guess sleeping 23/24 keeps them sleeping really light ...

We have a huge drug and homeless problem where I live. Most druggies know that a good kick will open a standard door, even with a deadbolt. Most homes have the deadbolt held only by a 3/4 inch piece of wood trim. One kick and the amped up and armed invader is inside your home. You have to wake up and defend.

Deadbolt locks should have an oversize strike plate with long screws into the door rough frame. This will take 4 or 5 kicks to open and give you more time to welcome the home invader.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD

No electronics in the world can out perform our canine dust mops ... guess sleeping 23/24 keeps them sleeping really light ...

Yeah, but if the guy knew his attacker, he would not have been on his guard and the guy could just pull out a knife and stab him. Doesn't matter if you have dogs or not. There's one guy up here that just released himself from a psychiatric hospital and stabbed his 20 year old girlfriend 20 times to death and then stabbed his mother and father.

Ruff = Ruger ... pretty obvious I’m talking sleeping hours and not some particular event ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Ruff = Ruger ... pretty obvious I’m talking sleeping hours and not some particular event ...

That guy stabbed his girlfriend in the shower, psycho style. Stabbed more times in the back than the front. Do you carry with it you in the shower?

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
We have a huge drug and homeless problem where I live. Most druggies know that a good kick will open a standard door, even with a deadbolt. Most homes have the deadbolt held only by a 3/4 inch piece of wood trim. One kick and the amped up and armed invader is inside your home. You have to wake up and defend.

Deadbolt locks should have an oversize strike plate with long screws into the door rough frame. This will take 4 or 5 kicks to open and give you more time to welcome the home invader.

Have those strike plates, alarm system, cameras blinking, four dogs, 3 guns loaded and hidden in different places...
But you can steal outside if you want and I’ll not shoot ... break in and I can’t promise

We each need to find our comfort zone between prepared and paranoia.

yep. Say your sitting there watching TV and someone busts in ,runs up to you and shoots or stabs you. You never had a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back