Toyota Matrix 1.8 filter, what's with the spout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a bunch of Denso oil filters from Rock Auto for our 2009 1.8 Matrix.

Strangely the filters come with an extra 'O' ring and a plastic spout.

Never had this before, is it the correct filter?

Last edited:
I have the same setup for my 2016 Camry,the plastic spout is used to drain the cartage housing,the small o-ring is used to replace the one that is under the drain , which takes a 3/8" ratchet to remove,the large one is used on the whole cartage which take a special tool to remove. In my opinion you may have the wrong oil filter for your car,please double check!

Oilmutt is correct about the o-rings and drain nozzle.

I have a 2008 Vibe 1.8L that still uses a spin on filter, but I'm pretty sure that the Vibe/Matrix switched to cartridge oil filters in 2009.

I am not sure I undersand about the drain nozzle?

When I change the oil, I undo the plastic filter housing (with a special tool)
Oil pours out as the housing comes off, I remove the filter element and replace it with a new 'O' ring on the housing.

The Denso element 'looks' about the same as what I am used to seeing, except is has a removable, loose fitting plastic nozzel/spout.

I do not have an old filter to compare what I have with what I have previously used. :-(

This is what the bottom of the housing looks like on my tundra. I’m assuming yours is about the same. The silver piece on the bottom comes off with 3/8” ratchet end. Then you stick the plastic drain thing up in there and it drains the oil from the housing. This is to make it less messy when undoing the housing. The small oring also goes in there

Is this your housing? Doesn’t look like the bottom part comes off. Maybe Denso just threw in the extra oring and drain in as a precaution, in case you did need it. Maybe some other models have a housing more like mine

Pda1122, No there is nothing to retain the filter element once the housing is removed.

Yes my housing looks like that.

The question is: Is the element the same?

Got a new idea,go to AZ,AAP,or pep boys,get your oil filter in ether Fram,Mobil 1,STP, open each box the complete instructions on how to replace are in their.Take a copy home to study!

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Got a new idea,go to AZ,AAP,or pep boys,get your oil filter in ether Fram,Mobil 1,STP, open each box the complete instructions on how to replace are in their.Take a copy home to study!

I think you meant to use the word "there" above.

Maybe Denso is trying to consolidate part numbers by including the extra pieces. Or you were sent the wrong filter.

I have a '10 Vibe, and the filters from multiple brands have just the element and the big O-ring. I've never used Denso, though.

Is your part number 150-3024? Denso and Rock both show that for my Vibe, but the Denso site only has a photo of the element.

Thanks, I will get a filter from my regular sources and 'eyeball' it against the Denso. Stands to reason they might consolidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back