Kawasaki Versys 650 -Amsoil 10W-40 SyntheticMetric

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my oil analysis results from a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 after running my first batch of Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Metric. I was hoping some of you could take a look and make some further comments.The initial oil test was after about 3000 miles from when the 1st owner said they changed the oil but the type was unknown and exact mileage was unknown. The 2nd test all all known.

The results seem good to me at 5000 miles but I did notice a little bit harsher feel in the gear shifting in the last ~1000 miles. Or maybe it was a placebo effect after changing the oil. What would be the biggest contributor to this factor?

I usually run an oil 2 times to figure out a good interval and then let it be. This stuff was about $10 - $11 per quart and need 2. I seem to have less and less time to spend on maintenance so I'm hoping to extend the interval to good comfortable limit. I'm thinking 5k is it.

Last edited:
I just went down an internet rabbit hole reading about Rotella T4. I use Rotella T Triple 15W40 in my 6.7L Cummins and it took me a little while to connect the dots before I realized it is the new version. I'll throw it in on my next oil change and see how it holds up. I was pretty happy with the viscosity readings of the AMSOIL after 5k.

Seems like lots of break-in metal. You could use the Rotella for the next 3 changes at 2K-3K miles to get the engine all cleaned up and well broken in. Then switch back to Amsoil and go 5K-6K.

The first UOA/oil sure didn't help things - sheared to SAE 20 range and added to the metal in this UOA.

+1 to Amsoil for making an oil that didn't shear out of grade after that many miles on a wet clutch bike.

And am I reading correctly that the Versys 650 sump only takes 2 quarts?!

How would you compare the Kawasaki versys to other bikes? I`ve been considering one if I could get a good deal.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Seems like lots of break-in metal. You could use the Rotella for the next 3 changes at 2K-3K miles to get the engine all cleaned up and well broken in. Then switch back to Amsoil and go 5K-6K.

The first UOA/oil sure didn't help things - sheared to SAE 20 range and added to the metal in this UOA.

I already put in Amsoil. Do you think the levels are high enough to merit doing a few short intervals?

Right now, I'm planning on running 5k miles on amsoil to determine repeatability and see the change in metals and then try a run with Rotella. If the break-in metals are still high on the next UOA, I might shorten the first Rotella run to 2k and then do a run to 2k or 5k depending on the following UOA. Maybe over thinking it and hopefully everything drops on the next sample.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
+1 to Amsoil for making an oil that didn't shear out of grade after that many miles on a wet clutch bike.

And am I reading correctly that the Versys 650 sump only takes 2 quarts?!

Owners manual actually states 1.9 quarts with filter change.
I think service manual states something like 2.3 or 2.4 quarts on a dry engine.

I really like Amsoil products in general. If the price wasn't so high, I would run it in everything. Their dominator racing grease has a great reputation in troublesome Miata front wheel hubs.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
How would you compare the Kawasaki versys to other bikes? I`ve been considering one if I could get a good deal.

Depends on what you want from a bike. It's the best at nothing but good at everything. It's mainly a commuter bike for me and it's comfortable with a great engine. It has a good reputation for being a low maintenance, reliable bike and it's pretty sporty and fun on the twisty roads. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

^^^ Agree ^^^
Much metal from first UOA so you dont really know a real number yet.

The metals should drop, and keep dropping at the following ocis. If they don't, running something else for 2k should not fix anything fixable by oil IMO.I think you are good for now using amsoil.

Originally Posted By: b3d3g1

Depends on what you want from a bike. It's the best at nothing but good at everything. It's mainly a commuter bike for me and it's comfortable with a great engine. It has a good reputation for being a low maintenance, reliable bike and it's pretty sporty and fun on the twisty roads. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Never ridden one myself but a friend who was a former racer with a wall full of trophies had one and really liked it. I think they are good all around bikes.

Curious if moly or boron would be better for a bike like this . (SR-T4 has 200ppm of boron now - http://pqiadata.org/Shell_Rotella_T4_15W40_4192017.html )
Valvoline Synthetic Motorcycle 4t oils also are loaded with boron now. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4351471/Re:_2001_Valkyrie:__Valvoline_

I just keep shaking my head when I think about 2 quarts going 4 thousand miles in a 'revvy' engine. It's impressive, and I'm envious.

You can read on here for weeks and still come up with the same basic answer..

JASO MA is your friend.

You can find this rating in hundreds of different packaging.

After you read VOAs, UOAs you will see that most of them are heavy on the ZDDP.

In the end you should probably come to the conclusion that any 5w40 or 15w40 HDEO will do the job with flying colors.. (Even the Traveller Brand from TSC gets a big thumbs up).

However- if you are in the category that doesnt feel good about using a HDEO then you should look towards Motul, Maxima, Bel Ray.. Mobil 4T, Amsoil..and why not.. Redline.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll revisit this thread after my next UOA of 5k miles on Amsoil. I'll plan to try out Rotella T4 for a 5k interval after that just to do back to back comparison but I'm perfectly alright spending a few extra bucks on Amsoil. I actually bought a case on first order so I was probably already mentally decided unless something bad showed up. I hadn't seen much UOA on the Amsoil oil I used so I wanted to share my results with the bob brain trust.

To me, your aluminum and copper wear look horrible. However, I’m not familiar with that engine. Maybe they always look like that in UOA. My NC700X, when it had ~15k on the motor and ~6.5k on the oil, showed me 9ppm of aluminum and 2ppm of copper using Lubrication Engineers’ 10W30. I drain oil in a new engine almost just as soon as I can, though, and the bike had had 3 oil changes, as I recall, before that sample. Anyway, if this is what the Versys engine looks like, great!

I almost promise you’ll either crash or tire of the bike before you wear the engine out, so long as you keep the air filter and intake clean and sealed, so don’t worry about these reports or your oil choice too much, except as a hobby or other entertainment.

Originally Posted By: b3d3g1
Owners manual actually states 1.9 quarts with filter change.
I think service manual states something like 2.3 or 2.4 quarts on a dry engine.

It's been awhile since I owned one, but I think if you rock it back and forth while draining it will be over two quarts easily. Let it drain on the sidestand. Then tip the bike to the right, and more will come out. Back to the left, and more comes out, back to the right, etc.

When you're having the oil analyzed it's gotta help to get rid of as much as possible of the old. Especially if it's got break-in debris.

I put 57k mostly commuter miles on a 2nd gen Versys--which is still on the road with its second owner.

Best 1-up touring bike I've had. Best ride all day, day after day comfort. A good commuter, but I've had better. The 3rd gen with it's longer range & better brakes & suspension should be a better commuter.

I could own another. Though I'd be more tempted if Kawasaki would update the parallel twin to a 270 degree crank, the way Triumph, Honda, Yamaha & BMW seem to be going. Different riding experience.

Those little Kawasaki Versys 650 motors turn a lot of RPM's, but they will sing all day long.
I've taken mine on many 2,000+ mile trips..... and I change the oil at 2.5 because of the short oil capacity.

The best thing is that they are like a mule. They'll haul a lot of stuff.... with the LARGE cases !
26533639318_7ec821715c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought up a 2017 Kawasaki Versys lt 650 Saturday and hope to pick it up this Tuesday. Got the silver looking model.It`s brand new from the dealer. Being the LT model it comes with nice hard bags and hand guards. If anybody has recommendation on an aftermarket seat or windshield chime in. I won`t know if I will do either but I will keep a notice on the recommendation just in case.I`ve read a lot of reviews and saw You Tube videos and pretty much all like them.It was marked down 1300 bucks from original price, I suppose because the 2018 models are coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back