Went back to OE style filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opened the air box and found sand on top of the filter.... yeah, more proof that k&n should be a track only mod.

Ran filter for about 5k to see how it performed. $50 lesson that a paper filter is best for a daily driver

Congrats! I know there are some here who have also seen silicon drop in their UOA using "conventional" aftermarket (Wix) air filters vs. Motorcraft. I think it was Garak?

I haven't run a paper filter for a while other than a Fram on the Forester, but I haven't had any negative impact with the K&N on my Odyssey, either. The fleece-style filters I think are probably some of the better-filtering ones. But I haven't made one of those crazy ail-filter test contraptions, either.
smile.gif

Wasn't me, but such things may have been seen here. As an aside, I have used a fair number of Motorcraft air filters, particularly in my youth. When I had my LTD, the round air filters from Canadian Tire were only their house brand ones (made by Fram to CT specifications, which meant significantly fewer pleats and less media), so I was using Motorcraft. For the most part, since then, I've used Wix and Fram, but wouldn't hesitate to grab an OEM air filter, particularly if it was an application where fit always seemed problematic.

I have a nice K&N for a Ford Ranger free if you pay shipping of $10. PM if interested. Came out of mine, run about 1 year, cleaned and oiled.
I went back to paper but hate to throw it away as some folks have use for them.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I have a way of describing K&N air filters... Aka "chicken wire".

Let’s be firm but fair ... you know it’s at least a screen door
wink.gif

I don't know how indicative of anything it was...but the only well maintained vehicle I ever had a serious issue with used a K&N air filter for 40K plus miles and there was sand/grit and odd particulate inside the air box upon inspection. I was scrupulous on making sure there's a tight fit and scrupulous on scheduled inspections.

I won't use a K&N again whether the filter caused, helped, or was associated with my engine problem that included VVT actuator failure and eventual de facto engine failure. Unfortunately, they couldn't pin it to one cause. The cost/benefit ratio of 1:4 with a K&N vs. paper filter against any real gains on a smaller displacement engine just wasn't worth it in my estimation. It seems most feel something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back