fram inlet holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently while I was at Wal Mart, I looked at the PH line of fram filters to see if any had the new silicone ADBV. The PH10060 had one, but I did notice the holes in the center tube seemed small, smaller than I remember seeing on Frams. The TG and XG 10060 were the same, small holes. Would this cause a flow problem? I looked at a few different Fram filters and the holes were all small, also.

I had the same concern and called Fram. Was told will flow fine. The holes were so tiny compared to the holes on the OEM Hyundai filter. It was the XG9688 Fram filter.

It's the total flow area of all those holes combined that matters.

HOLE E cow!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's the total flow area of all those holes combined that matters.

^^^ This, right here.

ZeeOSix and Linctex are correct. Smaller holes but more of them will mean even more flow. Same with louvers.

Also remember that it's a liquid being forced thru the holes at a pretty significant pressure, not like you're trying to breathe through one of those holes. Like Zee said, put them all together and there's plenty of flow potential. Most car filters have no problems passing 8-10 GPM which you'd be hard pressed (as in never) to hit on any production car oil pump. It'd be a huge parasitic drag as well.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Also remember that it's a liquid being forced thru the holes at a pretty significant pressure, not like you're trying to breathe through one of those holes. Like Zee said, put them all together and there's plenty of flow potential. Most car filters have no problems passing 8-10 GPM which you'd be hard pressed (as in never) to hit on any production car oil pump. It'd be a huge parasitic drag as well.

Are you saying that they make the louvers a precise cut to allow the oil to flow a certain psi? And, by the way they are arranged the oil can only flow through the precise cut louvers in this way to make said psi? Why do I need to know all of this? I should be able to just go into WM, pick the MC oil filter that fits my trucks engine, and go from there. Not worry about if the tube has louvers or round holes.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Why do I need to know all of this? I should be able to just go into WM, pick the MC oil filter that fits my trucks engine, and go from there. Not worry about if the tube has louvers or round holes.
21.gif

Yes, you should do exactly that.

1) Buy a Motorcraft oil Filter.
2) Put it on.
3) Don't worry about how it's made
grin2.gif

Are you saying that they make the louvers a precise cut to allow the oil to flow a certain psi? And, by the way they are arranged the oil can only flow through the precise cut louvers in this way to make said psi?

No and No.

If you use a filter with louvers, just make sure they are all opened up pretty good.

I looked at the new EG too, looked the same to me. The inlet baseplates come in two varieties of holes though. For unknown reason some of their small filters like the 4967 have larger inlet holes than the 3614. The center tube holes looked the same as before to me. It would be interesting to see the Fram racing filters center tube holes and baseplates to compare.

I love examination and explanation of details but all the noise about holes vs louvers escapes me.

We have recurring hole vs louver concerns but nearly no data on media filtering efficiency.

When we look at wet pleats and say conclusively, "That looks good" then howl about center tube holes......

Anybody ever measure the total open area of holes vs louvers? ....didn't think so.

I suppose I should don my flame suit.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Why do I need to know all of this? I should be able to just go into WM, pick the MC oil filter that fits my trucks engine, and go from there. Not worry about if the tube has louvers or round holes.
21.gif

2) Put it on.
grin2.gif

Thank You! Someone else that sees it my way.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
21.gif

2) Put it on.
grin2.gif

Thank You! Someone else that sees it my way.

There will always be people paying regular prices for ripped, torn, basically damaged products.
Purolator thanks people like you for your patronage.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
There will always be people paying regular prices for ripped, torn, basically damaged products.
Purolator thanks people like you for your patronage.

Hey, anything I can do to help support the 2nd best oil filter being made/sold!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

the only advantage I can see to louvers is the reduction of scrap
at the manufacturer.
The disadvantages are that louvers can sometimes not be punched
open completely.
Worn or mis-adjusted punching equipment.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: Kira
I love examination and explanation of details but all the noise about holes vs louvers escapes me.

The louver controversy noise is about how they are formed. You don't want them to be too closed - examples of good and bad louver forming below.

BAD

GOOD

I got you covered for Triangular and other shaped holes.

HKS3.jpg

Entirely too much nail biting about flow (among other things) around here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back