You Tube pauses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Having issues with youtube pausing, not all the time, but drives me crazy. Background: Computer is an hp z800 with 2 six core xeons, ram= 24 , 15000 rpm sas hard drives. Internet connection of 30 mps
latest editition of firefox. Changing resolution doesn't fix it.

Thoughts??? this should be way more than I need for seamless playback.

Last edited:
Have you tired a different browser? Chrome has smoother video playback for me, but overall I find Chrome a little more awkward to use then FF. The latest FF Quantum doesn't impress me that much.

Last edited:
When playing a video, right click the video and hit "Stats for nerds". It's possible your connection speeds to YT servers are slow.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
When playing a video, right click the video and hit "Stats for nerds".
That's cool! Never knew it was there.

Do a speed test on your connection. What times are you experiencing the slow down? I'm sure a billion people are logged into YouTube and ninety percent of them are watching useless content slowing you down.

Either youtube is overloaded (happens)
or your connection.

Esp 1080p or better video can sometimes buffer slow.

Connection consistantly tests at 29 of above (speedtest.net), fiber optic on consolidated communications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 928
Internet connection of 30 mps
Is that on paper or is that what you are actually getting? How stable/reliable is it?

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

This.

You and I have similar internet speeds, so yours should be somewhat comparable to the results below:

29772679.png

My bufferbloat was pretty bad initially until I set up QoS on the router. It's fine now...

29774059.png

Interesting, if I choose DSL like you, I also get an A+ (but B on the BufferBloat):
29774592.png

What do you get if you select Cable? Notice the difference in the number of streams?

I noticed dslreports added a stream test... you can simulate simultaneous streaming from various sources (youtube, netflix, etc.), including running multiple streams... I got up to 7 Netflix HD streams before running into issues...

http://www.dslreports.com/tools/streamtest

I don't need to simulate, my kids have three copies of Youtube running right now, LOL! With that in mind, I think my bufferbloat is probably fine.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What do you get if you select Cable? Notice the difference in the number of streams?

This is what I get when I select Cable:

29774873.png

My speed fluctuates because my kid is playing with his iPad right now.

But I got a "C" rating for quality when I chose Cable, and an overall "B". I guess they have different standards for different services because they relatively compare it to others using the same technology (DSL, Cable, etc) and also in the same country. Here is their explanation:

www.dslreports.com/faq/17930

29774873.png

But I got a "C" rating for quality when I chose Cable, and an overall "B". I guess they have different standards for different services because they relatively compare it to others using the same technology (DSL, Cable, etc) and also in the same country. Here is their explanation:

Yup, want to hear something interesting? This is the result from Internet Explorer with a 1921 ISR G2 on 200/200 fiber:

29775116.png

If I run the same test in Chrome, downstream bufferbloat puts me into a "B", but overall speeds are closer to 180/180. It won't do over 130 downstream on IE
21.gif
But bufferbloat is WAY better.

29774873.png

Yes, the obvious difference is they use far more streams for Cable than they do for DSL.

29776080.png

Never seen a speedtest site so detailed before. I'm surprised by the bad bufferbloat though.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
29776080.png

Never seen a speedtest site so detailed before. I'm surprised by the bad bufferbloat though.

Try DSL, see if it improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back