If Shopping Routers Consider TP-Link !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This dual band TP-Link Archer C59 I picked up is not even their best model, far from it, but the bang for the buck factor is crazy. Hardware versions v2 and above have 2x2 MU-MIMO and txBF (Beam forming). It has support for OpenVPN built into the firmware, just download the OpenVPN app for your phone, easy setup and you can use your home internet service to tunnel secure VPN from any public wifi anywhere. I set it up and hit it from the public wifi at work: flawless and perfect.

Maybe I've had my head out of routers too long and they're all this good in the sub $50 price range, but I remain ... impressed.
cool.gif

They are underappreciated for sure. I have one of the older top models and it has been a LOT more stable than the old school blue Linksys type that everyone had.

OpenVPN is a pretty decent little product, I used to use it back when I'd do a SmoothWall or IPCop setup for SMB's that didn't have Cisco in the budget.

Not a huge fan of TP-Link stuff, I've tossed a fair bit of it over the years. Netgear seems to hold up well for consumer-grade equipment however.

I think they've all had some duds and winners however, and for 50 bucks, even if it only lasts a few years, you did well
thumbsup2.gif

AS you know Loneranger, in my industry part of my work day almost everyday now is at least one stop getting a customers IP Cameras properly working and I work with a lot of different band routers.

I always suggest if their router is REAL OLD a reasonable priced router like the TP Link Archer C7 only because that is the one I own!
AS you know Im a fan of their routers and modems and glad you are so thrilled with yours! Its easy for me to mention the TP Link to them because the price is so reasonable and easy for some people to accept.

All I know, out of all brands I have owned over the decades the last couple years of having both the TP link router and TP link Modem has been the most carefree ever. Of course Windows itself is much improved too.

With all the above said, I have no problem with a customer having a $200 - $300 + Lnysys or Netgear or whatever router either but the TP Link I see as a good value and one I never have trouble with.

One product of theirs I do not like is USB wifi adapters but not relevant here as all manufactures have one part of their line up as weak at $40 it was full of bugs, wife replaced it with a $16 no name brand off Amazon and verified 110 to 120 MBPS downloads on our 100 MPBS internet through our TP link modem and router (of course).

Last edited:
I used to run a Sonicwall and Enterprise grade access point in my house until the Sonicwall became too old to handle any reasonable throughput.

I bought an AC2700 TP Link and love it. Has quite the number of antennas on it, the device is rock solid and fast.

AC Wifi to the NAS is really quick... love their products.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I used to run a Sonicwall and Enterprise grade access point in my house until the Sonicwall became too old to handle any reasonable throughput.

I bought an AC2700 TP Link and love it. Has quite the number of antennas on it, the device is rock solid and fast.

That must have been an old girl!
crazy2.gif

Even the "new" SonicWall SOHO has some decent throughput at 300Mbit for Firewall traffic. IPS is lower of course.

I was most recently running an ASA-5506W-X w/FirePower, however I've swapped that out for an ISR 2951 G2 and an HP Aruba access point (AC). The Aruba has noticeably better throughput than the WAP702i that's integrated into the ASA, as well as better range. Presently trying to score a 2nd hand Compute Engine for the ISR so I can install a FirePower VM on it. Not having much luck though
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

crazy2.gif

Even the "new" SonicWall SOHO has some decent throughput at 300Mbit for Firewall traffic. IPS is lower of course.

I was most recently running an ASA-5506W-X w/FirePower, however I've swapped that out for an ISR 2951 G2 and an HP Aruba access point (AC). The Aruba has noticeably better throughput than the WAP702i that's integrated into the ASA, as well as better range. Presently trying to score a 2nd hand Compute Engine for the ISR so I can install a FirePower VM on it. Not having much luck though
frown.gif

Umm.... Tele3SP haha, then I had a TZ180 just pegged with 100/100 Verizon FiOS. So yeah pretty old stuff.

I also was running a Pix 506e for a while on 15/1 Cable internet, ran well.

crazy2.gif

frown.gif

Umm.... Tele3SP haha, then I had a TZ180 just pegged with 100/100 Verizon FiOS. So yeah pretty old stuff.

I also was running a Pix 506e for a while on 15/1 Cable internet, ran well.

That beauty was DC'd in 2004! That is just as bad as the one VPN endpoint I inherited a few years back. Was running a Cisco 831... You know she's old when they reference Netscape 3 in the setup guide, LMAO!
grin.gif
The unit had a 10Mbit WAN port.... It did have an uptime of something like 5 years though when pulled.

The old PIX units had decent throughput for what they were. I've had a few different ASA's, never owned a PIX though (worked on a few but never had one in my home lab) as they were being replaced by the first-gen ASA's by the time I really started getting active in the Cisco scene.

I prefer the ISR platform overall, particularly the modular 2nd gen units.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
... Netscape 3 ...

In text mode? :p

lol.gif

They were advertising CRWS, which was a steaming pile of garbage and generated horrific config files. Mind you, SDM wasn't any better.

It's comical however that ASDM is so good, whilst any GUI they've tried to apply to the ISR IOS family has been a complete and utter disaster
21.gif

I've had a TP Link N600 for several years, and it's been the most reliable router I've ever had. Of course, my last one was a Belkin, and it was total junk.

Not a huge fan of TP-Link stuff, I've tossed a fair bit of it over the years.

There is some lack of consistency in their product lineup. Some models seem to work fine while others are garbage. Parents have an older TL-MR3420 at their place. About once a week dad has to do a reboot because he loses internet.

I've been pretty happy with Asus routers, although some older models suffered from failing power supplies, if I recall correctly. I'm currently using an older RT-N66U.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not a huge fan of TP-Link stuff, I've tossed a fair bit of it over the years.

There is some lack of consistency in their product lineup. Some models seem to work fine while others are garbage. Parents have an older TL-MR3420 at their place. About once a week dad has to do a reboot because he loses internet.

I've been pretty happy with Asus routers, although some older models suffered from failing power supplies, if I recall correctly. I'm currently using an older RT-N66U.

Yup, the biggest issue with the ASUS routers was failing power supplies on the older units, the hardware itself was solid. I know of a pile of entirely obsolete WL-520GU units still going strong, as they were released after that problem was rectified. The WL-566G and the WL-500W were both hit hard by it, the latter being a fantastic unit for the time as a consumer unit.

We've been using an Archer C7 for three or four years with no issues. I'd buy their products again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back