Coolant Porsche OE vs Zerex G40

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Any opinions Porsche OEM Coolant vs Zerex G40?
I will be adding bunch after coolant leak.

Thx

Then I will have nice mix ... I had READ replaced and used OE Made In Canada Porsche Coolant ( factory fill was still partially there )

I guess you should be ok adding the G40 ?

Thx

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hi Guys,

Any opinions Porsche OEM Coolant vs Zerex G40?
I will be adding bunch after coolant leak.

Thx

Just use Peak Global Lifetime. Or a Dexcool. The Porsche stuff is very similar to it. Go to Pedros website for more info or Burner's Cars on You Tube

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Admittedly, I'm very old school, but Porsche coolant still sounds like an oxymoron....
I totally understand !

There are only a few companies in the whole world that make coolant. Just use the proper spec coolant.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Admittedly, I'm very old school, but Porsche coolant still sounds like an oxymoron....

Only the finest for a classic Luftgekühlt!

Pricey, though.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The Zerex G40 coolant is actually made in Germany by BASF for Valvoline. Good stuff.

And it can be cheaper at O'Reilly and NAPA.

BASF and CCI supply a majority of the world's coolants as ready-fill or add pack concentrate.

I got curious, so I contacted Valvoline about their recommended AF for my Porsche. They said to use Valvoline Zerex Dexcool or Maxlife.

Don't overthink this- LOL

Originally Posted by willbur
I got curious, so I contacted Valvoline about their recommended AF for my Porsche. They said to use Valvoline Zerex Dexcool or Maxlife.

DexCool is not recommended for Porsche on their website. Only GM, Saab, VW.
ZEREXâ„¢ G-40 is suggested for Mercedes-Benz, Audi, VW, Porsche, others
So, yea, you need to overthink this because you're posting bad information. LOL

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/antifreeze-education/engine-coolant

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wowthisexists

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/antifreeze-education/engine-coolant

I'm not sure if I would trust Valvoline's guide, or some of the other supplier guides. They tend to say Purple coolant comes on VW from 2006. My 2008 VW and 2016 VW, both assembled in Germany, disagrees, has they have been pink.

VW's G12+ coolant for instance is Pink, but is neither a P-HOAT or Si-HOAT.

But, there is a G12++ that is a Si-HOAT and it's pink still.

And there is G13 that is also pink, and uses glycerin and Si-HOAT.

Many manufacturers don't produce an applicable product and their application guides recommend the next closest thing they offer. Doesn't mean it's 100% compatible, and this is not limited to fluids.

I would have no trouble sleeping at night using G40 in any Porsche made since 1996.

In 1996 Porsche just ike VW released G12 which was a full OAT coolant, from then on they ( VW and Porsche ) have used the same coolants.

G40 would be = VW G12++ or G13, SAME INHIBITORS

Since 1996 the VAG group has had towns of different coolant that are really much the same .

G11 = IAT
G12 = OAT
G12+ = OAT ( Only reason it was released is that it could be miscible with G11 and G12 was not )
G12++ = HOAT, the same astuff as G12+, but with Silicates
G13 = HOAT, the same as G12++ but with 20% Glycerin.
And the newest, G12 Neo = Same as G13 but with Phosphates.

To summarize,

Since the beginning of time until 1996 = IAT
1996 - 2012 = OAT
2012 - Current = HOAT

Bottom line, you can use G40 no problem whatsoever.

Last edited:
The Valvoline websites says that the inhibitor technology for both their G-05 and G-40 coolants consists of "Silicates & Organic Acids". What's the difference between the two?

Originally Posted by Le_bow_ski
The Valvoline websites says that the inhibitor technology for both their G-05 and G-40 coolants consists of "Silicates & Organic Acids". What's the difference between the two?

G-05 and G-40 are way different.

G-05 uses :

Silicate (250-300ppm )
Nitrite
Benzoate
Borate
Molybdate
Azole

G05 is an older formulation, with a higher starting pH and Reserve alkalinity, mainly designed for HD Diesel engine with wet liners but ended up being used in all sorts of stuff.

G-40 uses :

Silicate ( 500ppm )
Uusually either 2-Eha or Sebacate as the organic acid
Azole possibly?
Benzoate possibly?

G40 has only existed since 2008 or so, has a lowwer starting pH and less reserve alkalinity, BASF when creating this coolant wanted maximum Aluminium protection, originally intended for use in only VAG passenger cars now other brands like MB are beginning to use it.

Thank you FordCapriDriver. Based on what you've taught me, I believe I will stick with G-05 for my iron block, aluminum head, vented to atmosphere coolant system, ‘91 Miata. My apologies to the OP for the thread drift.

Good choice.
G-05 is an extremely good all arounder.
I'd have it in both my cars if it didn't have to buy it in 20 Liter containers of concentrate and have it shipped from Germany at a cost of over 120€

I was using G40 in both my cars, which is available everywhere here due to the amount of VAG group cars.
But i noticed smome hoses started weeping from the inside? even though they were less than a year old, some G40 coolants contain 2-Eha, this one i was using did not so that surprised me.

Anyhow now i am back to G11 Blue on both which is basically what you in the states call conventional green.

Originally Posted by wowthisexists

Several Porsche related forums or You Tube specify Dexcool, based upon their experience. Additionally if you research the evolution/development of Porsche coolants, you may understand they were the early adopters of Dexcool. Of coarse, Porsche will not recommend this fluid because they want one to use their stuff. It was $60/gallon about 2 years ago. Easy money. Were you born maybe like yesterday?

Back