Volvo sets another earnings record... under Geely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford always looked like the dog who chased and caught the parked car when they bought Volvo "Right, I've got it, now what do I do with it?".

Nice to see them back on track.

Doesn't surprise me. Was at the auto show the other week and the new Volvos are quite nice vehicles. Only issue I had was the nice large sedan was made in China. Don't know if I'm ready for a Chinese vehicle.

Just spent a couple days in a 2018 S90. T5 AWD sedan.

Very impressive car!

Nice fit and finish. Soft, supple leather. Beautiful interior. Good ride, nice steering, excellent brakes and handling. Very nice driving car. Lots of luxury touches and electronic features. Adaptive cruise control, "Pilot Assist" lane management, 8 speed automatic. The turbo 4 puts out a credible 250HP and is always ready, nearly zero turbo lag. The LCD displays and bright and colorful, even in bright sun.

It's easy to see why Volvo sales are strong. This car was just outstanding in every way that counts.

I would have never guessed Volvo was doing so well because I don't see any on the road. I also didn't know that they were Chinese owned.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Very impressive car!

Nice fit and finish. Soft, supple leather. Beautiful interior. Good ride, nice steering, excellent brakes and handling. Very nice driving car. Lots of luxury touches and electronic features. Adaptive cruise control, "Pilot Assist" lane management, 8 speed automatic. The turbo 4 puts out a credible 250HP and is always ready, nearly zero turbo lag. The LCD displays and bright and colorful, even in bright sun.

It's easy to see why Volvo sales are strong. This car was just outstanding in every way that counts.

Which country was it made in? China? It seems crazy that they can make a car that rivals the Germans, while having comparatively little experience. I guess Tesla did it as well, so maybe making a decent car isn't as hard as the regular manufactures make it out to be?
I guess the real proof will be in 6-8 years, if most of the parts suppliers were making decent components or not. I guess if you charge the same for a car made in China as one made in Germany, you should have some extra dollars to spend on good quality control and materials.
In my area 2015 Volvo XC70's and Subaru Outbacks are quite close in price, but I don't have the guts(and potentially budget) to try a used Volvo.

Volvo have alway been nice cars and under Geely's ownership they flourished as the Chinese didn't interfere with the designers & engineers. The only thing that worries me over theLong Term is the engine. A 4 cyl with turbo & super charger put so much stress on the engine even when driven by people who know how to drive compressed engines, let alone when the general buying public is in the picture. But it ought to last for the length of the warranty, it's after that that begin my concerns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Very impressive car!

Which country was it made in? China? It seems crazy that they can make a car that rivals the Germans, while having comparatively little experience. I guess Tesla did it as well, so maybe making a decent car isn't as hard as the regular manufactures make it out to be?
I guess the real proof will be in 6-8 years, if most of the parts suppliers were making decent components or not. I guess if you charge the same for a car made in China as one made in Germany, you should have some extra dollars to spend on good quality control and materials.
In my area 2015 Volvo XC70's and Subaru Outbacks are quite close in price, but I don't have the guts(and potentially budget) to try a used Volvo.

I don’t know here this one was built...I didn’t even think to look!

Some are built in Sweden, and I would love to see a Swedish and a Chinese version side by side.

My iPhones were all built in China...and they’ve held up quite well. So I’m not predisposed to say China = junk...I think depends who is doing the building, and what the quality controls look like. This one had Bosch components under the hood and Pirelli tires...so, Swedish, perhaps?

Last edited:
The new Volvo lineup is beautiful. Even their base models come well-equipped, unlike the Germans who nickle-and-dime you for everything.

REMINDER: Geeley said they wanted to "bring back" an economical vehicle wearing the Volvo name.

Will that car be a real, quality Volvo or something like a DAF Volvo (Dutch car with Volvo name).

That Volvo, Audi, BMW and Saab all abandoned their economical cars really stinks.

A well made basic car would prompt folks to buy up next time you'd think.

By everything I have read there will be "mainstream" affordable Chinese made cars on U.S. roads in less than five years.

At the right price they will sell......

Last edited:
The VIN number will tell you where your Volvo was made.

Chinese Volvos have a VIN that starts with a "L"; those made in Sweden start with a "Y". There may be plants in other countries as well.

Originally Posted By: Silk
looking at getting back the truck division too.

Actually that is backwards. Volvo owns the truck group the cars are owned by Geely and only have use of the name.

I can say driving a new 2018 V60 it is built much cheaper than the previous models. It does drive nice but I prefer the 2013 XC60 I had before

The Far East owners of Volvo and/or JLR seems to have turned both of them around. Interestingly, the previous US owner was not able to do that.

Some of you are now going to claim that the game is rigged against the US ownership and referees are on take.

One wonder how they have managed to go through life with that type of "gimme" mentality.

Originally Posted By: CKN
By everything I have read there will be "mainstream" affordable Chinese made cars on U.S. roads in less than five years.

At the right price they will sell......

That right price would have to be incredibly low. Every time I look up a top 10 selling car list for China, half the cars aren't from companies based in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back