Transmission Rebuild - Nissan RE5RO5A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so the new to me 2007 Xterra (~156,000 miles) I just purchased doesn't seem to have reverse shortly after it is warmed up. From the research I have done it seems to be a semi-common occurrence that stems from a snap ring deep inside the transmission that is too small, and forced out of its position. A rebuilt trans runs about $2500, and even a junk yard trans is looking to be nearly $2k. A rebuild kit is about $400, and an "improved" snap ring is $12. I have not rebuilt a trans in about 15 years...and it was just an old GM 3-speed. I have two different service manuals for rebuilding this particular unit. Any advice before I dive in???

Last edited:
Best of luck to you . I would not try it , but I have never rebuilt a transmission .

Look for online videos ( YouTube ) .

What is the vehicle worth if the transmission was OK ?

Can't speak for a Nissan trans, but I know someone who tore into an MG Midget transmission. Pay close attention to how things come apart, he managed to get a gear in backward because it appeared to be identical on both sides, but it was slightly offset. It went together OK, but it wouldn't engage. I know there are parts that have tiny detent balls with springs behind them that will fly out when parts are separated. Hopefully you have a diagram of where those are, if you have them.

I would have a full rebuild done. As opposed to just having the worn parts replaced. Also updates and upgrades. In my area I found the go to guy for Ford Explorers. The trans was better than new when I got it back. $2700.

Its an Off Road edition with locking rear diff, skid plates, and other off road goodies. Clean NADA value is $8,300 and I only paid $3k. The rest of the vehicle is in good shape, and only needs a few other easy maintenance items (O2 sensor, front right wheel bearing).

Like I said, I do have two different manuals that detail step by step how to do the rebuild. One is the factory manual, and one is third party. Both appear to be very good. The snap ring is in the middle of the transmission...there is no was I am going to pull the tranny, tear it half apart, and just replace the snap ring. If I have put in that much time, I am going to do it right and replace the serviceable items while I am in there.

make sure you change your radiator, i think those are from the era of coolant mixing with atf and ruining trannies and cooling systems.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
make sure you change your radiator, i think those are from the era of coolant mixing with atf and ruining trannies and cooling systems.

That era of Nissan Frontier/Xterra were known to have bad ATF coolers in the early run of the 2005-2015 series.

A lot of shops will opt to install a used transmission. If you're very mechanically inclined and have access to the special tools needed to pull the oil pump, planetary supports and bushings/bearings as well as a clean space free of dust with plenty of room to work you can DIY a tranny rebuild. But a lot of the DIY documentation is on older usually domestic(Turbo 350/400/700R4/4L60, C6, 727). Finding the parts - mainly the rebuild kit isn't too difficult.

Yup, going to add an additional transmission cooler, and just bypass the radiator cooler...this is indeed in the range where it is known to be trouble.

I have scanned the manuals, and the only special tools I could find that I don't have are a slide hammer and snap ring pliers. This sounds like a good excuse to expand my tool collection, as I have needed both for a long time now.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Yup, going to add an additional transmission cooler, and just bypass the radiator cooler...this is indeed in the range where it is known to be trouble.

I have scanned the manuals, and the only special tools I could find that I don't have are a slide hammer and snap ring pliers. This sounds like a good excuse to expand my tool collection, as I have needed both for a long time now.

Buy a set of Channel Lock snap ring pliers. They work great. Needed them to change a wheel bearing in a 98 Sienna. Made easy work of the large snap ring on the front knuckle.

Before taking stuff apart maybe mark the direction with some sort of paint pen or scribe to make sure stuff goes back on in the same direction.

Take lots of pics too for reassembly.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back