NGK or Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to decide the better spark plug for my 2 cycle equipment.
Champion or NGK, or does it matter?

In the grand scheme of things, no , it doesn't matter.

I've had good experience with both.

But NGK is my personal preference.

Use the OEM plug. I have seen the use of other plugs cause high rpm "issues". Wierd running, popping, bogging, etc. I always recommend the use of OEM plugs on 2 cycle engines. 2 cycle engines can turn 12k to 14k rpm, and the manufacturer test the OEM plug extensively.

On 4 stroke power equipment, I don't think it matters much, and I pretty much go Champion as they are cheap, made in America, and high quality, and I have never had a problem that I can remember with them.

I have used both and haven't seen much difference, but since NGK is the OEM I'll stay with that.

Whichever brand, keep it clean, keep the electrodes sharp (sharp corners make better spark origins), gap as big as the magneto will allow w/o coil overheating. Most small engine mags will support 0.030" gaps ...

Why do you need a new plug? it should last the life of ODPE. No need to change plugs willy nilly on mild engines.
Gave away my 27 year old 8HP Tecumseh Snow blower with the original plug in near new condition. My 27 YO push mower has OE plug too. Tried a "newer" easy start briggs/hamp plug and engine ran poorly - back in went the OE plug ran fine.

Never liked extended tip plugs on flatheads. Why? Never worked right.

I never saw a big difference, especially on 4-stroke engines. I wouldn’t replace the plug unless you’re having issues. I replace them maybe every 5 years on 4-stroke, and 10 years on 2-stroke. Most noncommercial OPE isn’t used enough to foul plugs.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter really. My parent's Weed Eater is using a Champion EZ-Start plug which has a bit of Pt/Ir in it. Their Echo, Stihl and Honda stuff is using NGK or Denso.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Why do you need a new plug? it should last the life of ODPE. No need to change plugs willy nilly on mild engines.
Gave away my 27 year old 8HP Tecumseh Snow blower with the original plug in near new condition. My 27 YO push mower has OE plug too. Tried a "newer" easy start briggs/hamp plug and engine ran poorly - back in went the OE plug ran fine.

Never liked extended tip plugs on flatheads. Why? Never worked right.

I fully agree. Clean the OEM plug and put it back. I've got a 22 year old Toyota running on original plugs. I get the same mileage now as I did when the truck was brand new. Got lots of spark plugs well over 30 years old running fine.

In all of my 50 plus years of owning things mechanical, I've had only four spark plug failures. Three Champions and one NGK if I recall correctly.

Two in two cycle engines (power ice auger & chainsaw) and two in four stroke engines (snow blower Briggs engine and an NGK failed in one of my liquid cooled Suzuki ATV engines. Not bad considering how many engines I've owned. I might add that the two latest plugs that failed (one Champion and one NGK), were both relatively new.

The Champion in the snow blower actually shattered at about the 4 year mark. The NGK in the ATV was in around ten years old and it just stopped sparking.

My preference is NGK but will use Champions if I can't get an NGK. Stay away from Chinese plugs.

500hrs is equivalent to much less than less than 20K miles in you car.

None of my ODPE has over 500 hrs on it in 30 years.

THATS why you don't change the plug - you don't even take it out to clean it.

If the engine has inproper fuel delivery or ignition or rings or valve seats - then it will chew plugs.

If its a healthy engine the plugs should last.

Me, on Japanese car engines the NGK Steel plugs would loose their GND straps with OE NGK by 30K miles. USA made NGK V power ran WAY WAY too hot compared to OE.

In the 90's NGK were so bad Subaru IMPORTED USA made Champion plugs for their JDM and export cars. And Toyota used ND.

NO NGK fan here, though their latest O.E. IR plugs used with COP ig seem to work. But many Japanese finally wised up and spec colder heatrange ( #6 or #7 instead of killer #5).

Quote:
But many Japanese finally wised up and spec colder heatrange ( #6 or #7 instead of killer #5).

IIRC back in the fading days of carburetors, a HOT plug was spec'd in the
thought that it would prevent fouling.
Instead it often caused pinging.
I've changed to one step colder plug on several engines back then.
Even today, plugs often come out looking 'cooked' very white and clean.

My 2¢

I've not had any problem with any of them. On my previous tractor, a 27HP, I used Champion and it ran and started fantastic. On my latest JD Kawa 20HP water cooled V, I use NGK and it starts like a rocket, same with all my other OPE, most of which has Champion plugs. I've read all the horror stories and even seen the video of where your Champion plug is made in China, but the still work... so who knows?

Always Champion. Every small engine I ever had came with Champions and I stick with OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back