PQIA 1/8/2018 - VWB 5w20 no more Sodium...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has a ton of Magnesium(Calcium/Magnesium combo) as most conventional motor oils have lots of Calcium(>2000 ppm) and little if any Magnesium.

Not sure if conventional oils can meet dexos1Gen2/SN Plus standards, but it looks like the additive package is designed with that in mind.

As another poster noted a couple weeks ago, we’re headed to a boring time in oil-ville as there will be far fewer differences in additive formulas between brand. Unlike the last, it looks like all will have similar amounts of calcium and magnesium, sodium will be out of fashion, etc.

True indeed char baby. The magnesium in this is the highest I've seen yet. About 1800 ppm between the Ca and the Mg. Used to be the sodium 400 ppm and calcium 1600 ppm total in the last generation of VWB was around 1900-2000. So, this appears to be decently close to that 2 thousand mark as well.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I wonder why Valvoline took all the moly out of Maxlife way back when?

They got their fuel economy by reducing viscosity to meet ILSAC, so needed less friction modifiers.
wink.gif
Honestly, I'm only kidding, and don't know if those two events coincided.

This is strange...

How or Earth did Valvoline manage to reformulate this oil to GF-5 when so many of the GF-5 tests are no longer available? I wonder if the technical support for this oil is cobbled together from a mix of GF-5 and GF-6 tests with a bit of field trial 'equivalence' thrown in for good measure?

Also why would Valvoline go Magnesium now? The main driver for Mg would logically be to counter LSPI, yet this oil is neither dexos 1 Gen 2 nor GF-5+? Given that this is self-evidently a 'conventional' Group II oil (the high Noack says it all!), even with the high level of Mg, chances are it's completely unsuitable for TGDI engines so what gives?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Magnesium and even before LSPI got hyped out of all existence, it made economic sense to formulate with it over Calcium.

Last edited:
Remember, GF-5 when introduced, was touted for it's ability to protect turbochargers...

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
This is strange...

How or Earth did Valvoline manage to reformulate this oil to GF-5 when so many of the GF-5 tests are no longer available? I wonder if the technical support for this oil is cobbled together from a mix of GF-5 and GF-6 tests with a bit of field trial 'equivalence' thrown in for good measure?

Also why would Valvoline go Magnesium now? The main driver for Mg would logically be to counter LSPI, yet this oil is neither dexos 1 Gen 2 nor GF-5+? Given that this is self-evidently a 'conventional' Group II oil (the high Noack says it all!), even with the high level of Mg, chances are it's completely unsuitable for TGDI engines so what gives?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Magnesium and even before LSPI got hyped out of all existence, it made economic sense to formulate with it over Calcium.

The NOAK states almost nothing about baseoil percentage. The 14% NOAK is compairablen to Phillips blends which is supposed to be over 50% group III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back